Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Pilot has the original power steering pump. The last two winters, when the car is cold, the power steering whines until it warms up ...then when the weather is warmer , there is no problem. Is the problem the old power steering fluid and replacing it may solve the problem or should I go ahead and replace the pump?

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I'd replace the fluid and the seal first.
Why in the video he doesn't remove the plastic engine cover. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
312 Posts
Like Nail Grease said. Change the oring and the fluid. When I did mine I pulled the reservoir out and cleaned all the debris out of the screen in the bottom. I tried just changing the fluid first the winter before but that only partially helped.The oring is the real solution but if your fluid is old it needs to be changed anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like Nail Grease said. Change the oring and the fluid. When I did mine I pulled the reservoir out and cleaned all the debris out of the screen in the bottom. I tried just changing the fluid first the winter before but that only partially helped.The oring is the real solution but if your fluid is old it needs to be changed anyway.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
it is original fluid, and i will replace seal
FYI: Pickup the correct PS O-rings from the dealer....probably the cheapest replacement part you'll spend at the dealer and get the OEM PS fluid for best results at the same time or approx 17 smackers for 3 bottles @Amazon

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Here's a good video on how to replace that o-ring. Make sure you get the new and improved orange one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I'm just a d i y Jack Leg mechanic , so I was following video directions and bought a 10mm swivel socket, but there still wasn't enough room to get the bolt out with the swivel socket so I could replace the O-ring ...digging through my toolbox I got a 10mm box wrench and wrestled around the drive belt to loosen the bolt but finally took the drive belt off the top pully and made more room to use the box wrench and managed to get it loose......All Done...Thank you Piloteers, (I thought I would have to replace the pump).

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
So the o-ring was the fix? Yay, time for the forum's celebratory banana dance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: I'm just a d i y Jack Leg mechanic , so I was following video directions and bought a 10mm swivel socket, but there still wasn't enough room to get the bolt out with the swivel socket so I could replace the O-ring ...digging through my toolbox I got a 10mm box wrench and wrestled around the drive belt to loosen the bolt but finally took the drive belt off the top pully and made more room to use the box wrench and managed to get it loose......All Done...Thank you Piloteers, (I thought I would have to replace the pump).
so the whining noise is gone on those cold mornings?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts