Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched all over forums and have tried a bunch of thing but I can't seem to get ride of my power steering pump noise. Bought an 07 pilot 2 weeks ago with the noise. I first tried the new orings from honda and it did nothing. Next I pulled the reservoir to clean and inspect the filter which looked fine and clean, I then put all new oem fluid in. Finally I decided to replace the pump, put on a brand new duralast pump and bled the system but I still have a whine. Im not sure where to go from here, any one have any advice?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
Were your new O-rings black or orange? Orange is what you want.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,282 Posts
Are you 100% sure that the sound was from the power steering pump. Transmission can make the exact same kind of noise that a power steering pump makes.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Is there any play in your steering wheel. I ask this because the power steering rack may need replacing. Vehicles that have been used for city street driving have this problem more often. What's your milage? Do you know any history on this vehicle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any play in your steering wheel. I ask this because the power steering rack may need replacing. Vehicles that have been used for city street driving have this problem more often. What's your milage? Do you know any history on this vehicle?
Steering wheel has no play, it feels totally fine. Car has 211k, was a mostly highway car according to original owners. They had all service paperwork from the local dealer where it was maintained.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Noise is coming from the front of the motor
Steering wheel has no play, it feels totally fine. Car has 211k, was a mostly highway car according to original owners. They had all service paperwork from the local dealer where it was maintained.
That's good news then.
I'd ask AutoZone for another pump since this one is as bad or worse than the one you had.
No air bubbles in the fluid?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I assume you checked the metal lines and rubber hoses for leaks. I have an '05 and around a month ago the metal line near the passenger side front tire developed a pinhole leak. Last year I had to replace the pressure line due to a split in the rubber hose.

Every time I've had air in my Honda PS systems it doesn't make a whine...it sounds more like when bearings are going bad.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I replaced my PS pump (and o-rings), for the first two days I drove it I thought it didn't work. Turns out I just needed to air-bleed the system and re-add fluid until it was happy. Maybe give it some time? Make sure there are no air bubbles?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I replaced my PS pump (and o-rings), for the first two days I drove it I thought it didn't work. Turns out I just needed to air-bleed the system and re-add fluid until it was happy. Maybe give it some time? Make sure there are no air bubbles?

--Chris N.
I bled it with the wheels off the ground after install, didn't see any bubbles in the reservoir. Have read that some people say it make takes some miles for the noise to go away so maybe it will in a few days?

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I bled it with the wheels off the ground after install, didn't see any bubbles in the reservoir. Have read that some people say it make takes some miles for the noise to go away so maybe it will in a few days?
I'm one who is terrified to draw any air into my PS system. I will literally prime my pump turning the wheel by hand and add fluid to prevent air from being drawn in. Only when I know the system has fluid throughout, I install the belt and start the vehicle.
In your case, where you may have very fine bubbles in your lines, a slow turn of the pump would be beneficial. I've actually unbolted the pump and raised it up in order to use a drill with a socket and turn the pump slowly to give the bubbles a chance to rise to the top of the reservoir. Call me crazy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts