Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is starting to leak on my 06 pilot at 240k. Not a huge fan of Remanufactured but it looks like the best option or should I just get one at the junkyard with 100k on it and stay with oem?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
With a remanufactured you know that it has been gone through, surfaces related, gaskets and o rings replaced. With a junkyard pump you get what you get. The warranty for such parts if 5 seconds or 5 feet, which ever comes first.

Or you could go OEM.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
You could say, "It lasted me 240k miles so OEM would be a good idea" OR "It has 240k miles on it, I'll get a most likely perfectly good remanufactured pump with the expectation I may not have the car for another 240k miles". Neither is a bad idea, but I'd go for the cheaper one, but I'm pretty cheap.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I'd have no problem with a junk yard ps pump if it remained in the vehicles with fluid in it. If I could pull it myself, I'd be happier.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Your Price: $420.53

Neither is a bad idea, but I'd go for the cheaper one, but I'm pretty cheap.
I concur and I resemble that remark. :)

But first, do you think it might be your o-ring? That would be the cheapest most economical fix by far.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
But first, do you think it might be your o-ring?
A 2012 at 250k miles. It has faint signs of some seepage where the pump is put together. Never had to replace the O rings. O ring replacement seems to be more common on older Honda models.

I don't expect this to last much longer.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
The OP's Pilot is a 2006. It would be worth taking a look, if only to rule out the cheapest solution.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is leaking where the two halves are put together. I might just rebuild it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On 1st gen Pilots I would buy a junk yard pump. The new Chinese ones are horrible. Some of the rebuilt pumps are new and Chinese.
Be sure to:
1 Use Honda power steering fluid
2 Use genuine Honda o-rings on pump fittings
3 Hand prime pump before installing. When installation is complete and before starting motor, turn steering wheel back and forth to each extreme several times.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rebuilt the oem power steering pump with oem bearing and seals, it took about an hour. Didn't use a press, just a few different size basic sockets and a rubber mallot. The youtube video above, the guy took it apart way too far, you don't need to take all of the fins and blades out, that section can be kept together when dismantling the pump by taking out the 4 screws on the side, holding that section in your hand, and allowing it to fall out into your hand, then set that section aside.

For $50 I have a brand new oem pump with oem parts, and not a parts store version that's going to fail because it has a cheap bearing and seals in it.

Here are the parts that I used from honda automotive parts.com

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
91048-P2A-003 Bearing, Radial Ball (17X40X12) $12.66 1 $12.66
91249-PNC-003 Seal, Power Steering Pump $4.99 1 $4.99
91345-RDA-A01 O-Ring (13.0X1.9) $0.66 1 $0.66
91347-PAA-A01 O-Ring (16.7X1.8) $0.76 1 $0.76
91347-P2A-003 O-Ring (15.2X2.4) $0.50 1 $0.50
91348-P2A-003 O-Ring (51.0X2.4) $1.04 1 $1.04
91349-R70-P01 Seal $27.63 1 $27.63
08206-9002 Fluid, P.S $3.08 1 $3.08

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My power steering pump ended up leaking out the pulley side and I had to replace the pump after all. I took it on and off 3 times. When removing the seal behind the bearing, use a seal puller that has the sharp point covered in something to protect it. You can very easily reach too deep and scratch the aluminum case. Mine got nicked but I’m not totally sure if that made my pump leak or not. It wasn’t leaking on this side before. If I had to do it again, if it was leaking on this side I may just replace the whole pump. If it’s leaking on the other side I would replace just the leaking gaskets. Rebuilding it isn’t hard but it seems the wear on the shaft that the bearing attaches to may play a role in the leaks with the new shaft seal.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rebuilt the power steering pump in my tl type s (same pump as pilot part number wise) and didn’t mess with the bearing and bearing seal and all went perfect with no leaks. The other one may have leaked because our dealer gave us a really odd seal that didn’t match the oem one (swapped for aftermarket and returned?). When comparing the type s seals, the type s seal looked totally different in a few spots then the pilot one I got but ordered from the same place with same part number. I’ll never know if that’s why the other one leaked since I bought an aftermarket pump. If you don’t hear bearing noise before your rebuild I maybe wouldn’t dig that deep into it. The bearing seal is pressed tightly in and I’m not sure if disrupting it makes it hard to get back in or if I just got a weird seal.

After 240k miles the pilot bearing seal didn’t actually feel that hard either in my pilot. I would maybe attempt to replace the bearing and not that seal if I had to rebuild a 200k+ mile pump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts