Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a power steering leak, AGAIN. My first leak was a little over a year ago, coming from the high pressure hose itself (not the o-ring, unfortunately). Replaced that, and I don't know how long after it started, but I have a leak coming from the pump itself.

It looks like the leak is coming from the pulley area, its hard to tell. I plan on cleaning everything off and reinstalling the pump and checking for leaks again, but I thought i'd check and see if this is a common place for the pump to leak. Or maybe another leak near the pulley area. I know, for sure, its not coming from where the high pressure hose is attached to the top of the pump. I wish it was.

The red circles in the attached pictures are pointing out where I think the leaks might be coming from. The pictures are of the underside of the pump. Any ideas what parts are failing, and if they are replaceable? Id rather not buy a whole new pump.

Side question:

If I have to replace the pump, I'm not going OEM. What recommendations do you guys have for aftermarket under $150?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a power steering leak, AGAIN. My first leak was a little over a year ago, coming from the high pressure hose itself (not the o-ring, unfortunately). Replaced that, and I don't know how long after it started, but I have a leak coming from the pump itself.

It looks like the leak is coming from the pulley area, its hard to tell. I plan on cleaning everything off and reinstalling the pump and checking for leaks again, but I thought i'd check and see if this is a common place for the pump to leak. Or maybe another leak near the pulley area. I know, for sure, its not coming from where the high pressure hose is attached to the top of the pump. I wish it was.

The red circles in the attached pictures are pointing out where I think the leaks might be coming from. The pictures are of the underside of the pump. Any ideas what parts are failing, and if they are replaceable? Id rather not buy a whole new pump.

Side question:

If I have to replace the pump, I'm not going OEM. What recommendations do you guys have for aftermarket under $150?
How much was it to replace the high pressure hose? Did you go to a dealer or independent service shop. My high pressure hose is leaking and not sure I can DIY it

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Rock auto sells the PS pump seal kits.
I have a leak from the high pressure hose above the pump. It became somewhat better when I replaced the PS fluid with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You can put ATF in the PS reservoir? So why did I bother to go to the stealer and run the risk of being seduced by a stilleto-heeled sales associate into buying a new Pilot, just to pick up a few bottles of Honda OEM power steering fluid?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, thought you were only supposed to use Honda PS fluid. Although I have been using AutoZone generic Honda PS fluid. Slightly cheaper than the dealer, but mainly because it's closer and easier to get to AutoZone. I did see some stop leak additives on the shelf at the store, but wasn't sure if they actually worked

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have no idea why they insist on "Honda" PS fluid. I did not feel any difference in steering after putting ATF into the system, it just slowed down the leak.
IIRC Chrysler and some other brands run ATF in the PS, so I decided to experiment and it saved me a few $$.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
How long ago did you start putting ATF in your Pilot's PS system? The longitudinal results would be interesting.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
yes i would like to know also .. since i'm due for a fluid swap this is perfect timing for me

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here is my take.

I fluid swap three bottles of Honda OEM power steering fluid every 3-4 years. I can order it on Amazon for $17 shipped. Unless there is unequivocal proof that there is a better fluid for my vehicle, why on earth would I use anything else at such a low cost?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,191 Posts
^^^ Yup, saving $10 over the course of a few years just isn’t worth the risk to the power steering system.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
So basically there is no real advantage on performance or anything ..just cost ? i'll pass and stay with the OEM stuff. At 225k I never really had any serious issues why change now ..

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I swapped PS for ATF 6 months and 10k miles ago.

·
Registered
244 Posts
not counting this...
06 220k on the meter discovered the rack and pinion leaking while the steering pump is now making a wonderful howling noise when driving....it's an original part so i can't really complain..... or rant....

Is this a shop item repair or can it be replaced at home ....?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
not counting this...
The Howling noise was a bad O ring simple fix and that snake oil that PLPLPLPL keeps suggesting the 225 or something damn works like a charm for the leak .

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The snake oil AT-205 really does work great (would I lie to you?:)) to stop small oil, AT and, yes, PS leaks.

More Information for ATP AT205

However, if it's whining that's coming from the power steering, check out the O-ring first. It's part number 91345-RDA-A01 - the new and improved orange Power Steering Inlet Joint O-Ring which replaces the troublesome black one.

Here's a how-to with pics from the Accord forum: DIY Power Steering Pump O-Ring TSB - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Here's my favorite Youtube how-to, where you can hear the guy say "pukin'":

I've also attached a PDF how-to.
Power Steering Moans or Whines During Cold Start-Up.pdf

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Just returning to post an update.

The MaxLife ATF in the PS reservoir did improve things somewhat, but not enough to consider it done.
But the addition of 1/3 bottle of ATP 205 2x weeks ago had solved it completely. The paper towel that I had wrapped around the leaking joint is not getting soaked anymore. It is perfectly dry after the application.
ATP 205 really works. I got my bottle from the Amazon.CA seller MyGOParts.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I know OP posted a year ago, but FWIW I had a failed pump and replaced with Robot Check ($70) and have not had any issues yet (~10k miles on it).

--Chris N.
While you're at it, get that "frequently bought together" orange o-ring if you still have the original black one in there which is known to be troublesome.

·
Registered
50 Posts
While you're at it, get that "frequently bought together" orange o-ring if you still have the original black one in there which is known to be troublesome.

Good looks - I can't remember if this part came with the O-ring or not, but for piece of mind I replaced both the high and low pressure O-rings with OEM ones from my local Honda Dealer Parts Department. They were like a buck a piece so I decided to go OEM.

--Chris N.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts