Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the infamous whirring whining power steering issue with my 2008 Pilot EX-L. I replaced the o-rings with genuine honda parts almost 3 years ago. Solved the problem...until yesterday. It started again. I can't believe they don;t last longer than that.
Has anyone else replaced theirs and had to do it again? If so, at what interval?

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
I had the infamous whirring whining power steering issue with my 2008 Pilot EX-L. I replaced the o-rings with genuine honda parts almost 3 years ago. Solved the problem...until yesterday. It started again. I can't believe they don;t last longer than that.
Has anyone else replaced theirs and had to do it again? If so, at what interval?
No, you should not be having to do it again, though I guess it's possible. Check for leaks.
Any air bubbles in your fluid?
Loosing fluid?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No leak, no air bubbles, not loosing fluid. However their is a burnt fluid smell. The power steering fluid is clear though and swirling well...however the noise is affected by turning the wheel at idle.

It was a little low on fluid and it was whirring. I added fluid and now it sounds like a police siren or a whistle

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is worth noting, I didn't have air bubbles in the fluid the first time I changed the o-rings either. Must be a tiny, tiny amount of air.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
No leak, no air bubbles, not loosing fluid. However their is a burnt fluid smell. The power steering fluid is clear though and swirling well...however the noise is affected by turning the wheel at idle.

It was a little low on fluid and it was whirring. I added fluid and now it sounds like a police siren or a whistle
It is worth noting, I didn't have air bubbles in the fluid the first time I changed the o-rings either. Must be a tiny, tiny amount of air.
Yes, a tiny air leak can cause this, you could try to replace the O-rings again and see if that solves it. At least you will know. If not, a leak is still undetected somewhere. My greatest worry is your headed towards pump failure. The burnt fluid will need replacing and possibly the pump.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got the o-rings in today from Honda. I also got a set of Dorman...and they do not match in size at all. Of course i plan to use the Honda o-rings...but how can they be so..off?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, looks like the bolts are to be torqued to 8 ft lbs. Can anyone confirm? I'm sorry I don't have an official Honda Manual

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Also, looks like the bolts are to be torqued to 8 ft lbs. Can anyone confirm? I'm sorry I don't have an official Honda Manual
That sounds about right. But you might need a tiny bit more if they've ever been over tightened. Ever so gently. 😅

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The old o-rings were perfectly fine, it is the alternator making the noise. I stuck a piece of rubber tubing in my ear and used it as a stethescope and it is without a doubt the alternator.
This will be the first alternator for me on this 2008 pilot.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
The old o-rings were perfectly fine, it is the alternator making the noise. I stuck a piece of rubber tubing in my ear and used it as a stethescope and it is without a doubt the alternator.
This will be the first alternator for me on this 2008 pilot.
It's not exactly great news but certainly less messy. Glad to know your PS is ok.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Where's the best place to get the alternator?
Most people will say to get a Denso. I think those are covered by a 1 year warranty.
Most of your big parts stores offer a limited lifetime warranty on their stock remanufactured alternator at a lower price. Problem is sometime you have to use it a week after you buy one. Lol
Online stores like RockAuto will have a crazy good price, but very difficult to deal with if you should happen to have a problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went the Rock Auto route because they were the only ones that could get it to by end of Friday. Even with the hefty overnight shipping, it is still almost $100 cheaper than anybody else. Honda dealer is $475
It is a Denso

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Where's the best place to get the alternator?
I went the Rock Auto route because they were the only ones that could get it to by end of Friday. Even with the hefty overnight shipping, it is still almost $100 cheaper than anybody else. Honda dealer is $475
It is a Denso
I was just about to tell you about the Denso on RockAuto.
Crazy good price that's hard to pass up.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
There are some whines it's good to ignore, but other whines you should heed. Smart of you not to ignore this whine. (y)

Alternator issue?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts