Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have been experiencing some noisy power steering and occasional hard to turn. I know that the O rings are common problems with these cars so I am going to start there. I figured I'd order something on Amazon just for the sake of speed. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct ones? I thought it was only one, but this one comes with 2. It is $9 and I thought it would be cheaper. Thanks!
Dorman Power steering O-ring

·
Registered
159 Posts
Those look correct.

In any case, here's my two cents. I bought these o-rings at my local Honda Dealer's Parts department for three reasons: I absolutely know they will be OEM, I drove there and got it THAT day (talk about speed), and they were around $2 each so it ended up being cheaper.

Make sure you put the right o-ring on the right side of the pump, and know that you may lose some PS fluid doing the swap, so if you're low already you might want to buy some extra fluid while you're at it.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
It's part number 91345-RDA-A01 - the new and improved orange Power Steering Inlet Joint O-Ring which replaces the troublesome black one.

Here's a how-to with pics from the Accord forum: DIY Power Steering Pump O-Ring TSB - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Apparently the helpful guy in the famous video had a stroke. Here's wishing him a good recovery.

Attached is the service bulletin. Let us know how the fix goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's part number 91345-RDA-A01 - the new and improved orange Power Steering Inlet Joint O-Ring which replaces the troublesome black one.

Here's a how-to with pics from the Accord forum: DIY Power Steering Pump O-Ring TSB - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Apparently the helpful guy in the famous video had a stroke. Here's wishing him a good recovery.

Thank you this is super helpful!
I found the part on Majestic Honda, for only $0.63. I wonder if my local dealership will price match. But either way I'll just go to the dealership since I want to do it sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
760 Posts
Don’t forget to pick up some PS fluid while there. Least expensive place I found. ?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Don’t forget to pick up some PS fluid while there. Least expensive place I found. ?
... if you're quick and purposeful like Ulysses sailing by the island of the Sirens. Otherwise, it could end up costing you a whole lot more.

DW-1 Alternative

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... if you're quick and purposeful like Ulysses sailing by the island of the Sirens. Otherwise, it could end up costing you a whole lot more.
View attachment 135089

DW-1 Alternative
I was thinking about starting a thread, but I'll just go ahead and use Honda PS fluid....?
I have a few bottles left over...hopefully I won't lose too much!

·
Registered
16 Posts

1,000 thumbs up for the fix!!!

2006 EX 4WD, 111k on the clock. About 2 weeks ago temps dropped into the 20's, I began to experience EXACTLY the same issues in the video. Quick review here on the forum, $2.63 tax and all out the door from Honda dealer for O-rings, and ten minutes under the hood in the driveway. SHAZAM, I'm fixed, noise is gone and fluid reservoir no longer pukes.

On a side note, the dealer did a power steering service at either 90K or 95K, I forget which; I would have thought as standard procedure they would have changed the O-rings on my Pilot based on age/mileage and the TSB. Guess I'll be fighting for a discount on my next service.

This forum is truly a wealth of info for the stuff I'm willing to tackle myself. Muchas Gracias to all posters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts