Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2006 Pilot that has been having very bad power steering noise. There is definitely air getting into the power steering fluid (always bubbles in the fluid when noise occurs), but there are no leaks. I have tried the following:

- Replaced the o-ring on the PS pump input with the newer orange o-ring. No difference.
- Replaced the power steering pump itself. No difference.
- Assumed the the air has to be getting in on the input side, so before replacing the reservoir, hose, clamps and the plastic fitting on the pump input I tried sealing up all the connections along the input with RTV silicone (the connections between the reservoir and hose, hose and plastic fitting and plastic fitting and PS pump). No difference.

Are there other places within the power steering system where air could be getting into the fluid? Any other issues I should be thinking about? I'm not sure where to look next.

Thanks!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Have you looked at the PS rack? Check your lines to and from the rack for leaks and also check for moisture around the boot on both sides of the rack. One other thought, when you replaced the pump did you change out the gasket / seal for a new one and verify that it did not have any damage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not checked the PS rack, I will take a look at that tonight. What gasket/seal are you referring to? When I replaced the pump there were only o-rings for the input and output connections, no gaskets.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It may be a bit different on your 2006 pump. On my 2011 there is an o-ring /gasket that goes between the pump and the pump cover. May not have looked since it comes as part of the pump itself. The other place on the pump is off the flow control cap on the bottom of the pump next to the pump inlet. there is an o-ring there as well. It is also possible that you have a bad pump as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the additional info, I will check those spots on the original pump. Our power steering actually went out entirely yesterday. :( The fluid is no longer circulating through the reservoir, it's just sitting there. I think I'm going to throw the previous pump back on and see if that at least gets us back to working with the noise and then return the replacement pump if so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts