Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2011 with ~180k miles has started to see a slight drop in PS fluid. First PS flush with new reservoir was completed in May at 171k miles. Fluid level had been steady just above the minimun line with no drop since the flush, but sometime during our holiday travels from early December to mid January, the fluid level dropped about an inch. I've been watching it closely over the last two weeks and it's gone down another 1/4 inch in the reservoir. No unusual sounds from the PS pump and steering seems unaffected. No sign of air bubbles in the fluid but I did find signs of leaking on the driver side. See photos below.

Seems to be coming from above the boot, perhaps a small pinhole in one of the lines or at the fittings. Any suggestions based on the photos? If another photo angle would help, please suggest it.

I am going to pickup a bottle of fluid just to keep it topped off for now until I can get a sense of how much fluid is leaking over longer period of time. No long trips planned for a while now.

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
My first suspicion is anything that has these Japanese wire clamps. These always start leaking with age. It does little good to try and tighten them, they just cut the hose more.

These rubber hoses can be found for cheap on Rock Auto.
It's a start.

Reactions: aggrex and thefisch

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upon further inspection (no photos though), the leak may be originating a little higher - perhaps it is coming from the seal for the steering input. Has anyone tried any leak stop product successfully with their Pilot? I've heard those can provide temporary relief as the seals swell but can lead to a worse leak later as the seals break down faster.

Also, if I am just topping off the fluid for now as it gets low, could I use any dino oil PS fluid? I have some leftover clear PS fluid from an older Mercedes (not the synthetic Pentosin CHF 11S stuff). Or should I only use the Honda PS fluid?

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
Is the leak near the pump or on the steering rack?
I would only use Genuine Honda power steering fluid.
I have no advice on using a stop leak product in the PS system.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the leak near the pump or on the steering rack?
I would only use Genuine Honda power steering fluid.
I have no advice on using a stop leak product in the PS system.
The leak is in the rack. I appears to be coming from near the input shaft.

·
Registered
11,462 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I will take a look again but I think the leak is coming from above those high pressure lines and dripping down on them.

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts