Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning, and again this morning, when I started my Pilot and began driving I heard a gurgling noise from the engine somewhere. Along with the gurgling was a whining noise. I didn't realize it yesterday but the noise goes away after turning the wheel and allowing the power steering pump to cycle some fluid, I guess. I figured this out while sitting at a stop light and just turning the wheel slightly left, then right. I mean just an inch or so on the wheel either way.
After a couple minutes, both yesterday and today, the noises went away and didn't return all day. I was driving the car every couple hours after the first drive in the morning. Seems like after a prolonged rest (8 hours or so) the power steering fluid gets out of the pump.
When I got back this morning I checked the power steering level and the fluid level was below the lower mark by about a half inch. The engine was warm when I checked, obviously. The lid on the power steering fluid resevoir says to add fluid to the upper level line when the fluid is below the lower level while the engine is cold. The lid says that I should use only genuine Honda fluid.
I intend to take the Pilot in to have this checked out next week as I am leaving today for a short vacation.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem with the Pilot?
2. What was the resolution?
3. Should I not take the Pilot on the 250 mile round trip drive with this problem?
4. Should I drive down to the Honda Dealer and pick up some power steering fluid and fill 'er up while the engine is warm and head on out?
5. Can I go down to the local auto parts store and pick up some other power steering fluid?

Thanks so much,
Scott

·
Registered
95 Posts
Top it off with Honda fluid if possible then roll. Keep checking it. It may have been low all along and you just started noticing the hum. Do you have a p/s cooler? When mine was installed, the shop person neglected to fill it (p/s fluid res) back up all the way.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davedude said:
Top it off with Honda fluid if possible then roll. Keep checking it. It may have been low all along and you just started noticing the hum. Do you have a p/s cooler? When mine was installed, the shop person neglected to fill it (p/s fluid res) back up all the way.
Thanks for the quick response davedude. I'll drive down to the dealer and pick up the fluid.
I don't have the p/s cooler.
Since the engine is already hot should I fill it up to the upper level line still? Does the fluid expand when hot?

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The upper line is fine for topping off. Hey I forgot to mention that you should check the concrete where you park and the frame around the p/s pump and reservoir for signs of leakage though I'm sure you've already done that.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
davedude said:
The upper line is fine for topping off. Hey I forgot to mention that you should check the concrete where you park and the frame around the p/s pump and reservoir for signs of leakage though I'm sure you've already done that.
Yes, I did check and didn't find any new fluid. I park on the street so it is a little difficult to find new leaks.
My wife is convinced there is a leak somewhere because of how much the A/C condensor sweats. It's got to sweat off a pint of fluid every time we park.

I did just get back from my trip. We spent a couple of days in the 'dry' heat of Palm Springs. It was nice to sit in the pool all day and relax. We came home over the mountains through Idyllwild (sp). Beautiful drive. Would have been more fun in an S2000 though. No problems to report with the Pilot. Fantastic ride. An XM radio would have come in handy to help bridge the radio wave challenged zones.

Thanks for all the replies, helped to ease my mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts