Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I know most Honda stuff Is HONDA ONLY but for instance I know our ATF you can use Valvoline max life and it works better than OE, on my manual element I’ve used Amsoil Syncromesh and it took my reverse from being notchy to being smooth as butter. So can I use an aftermarket power steering fluid without it jacking up my seals or is OE the only way to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
There are a few fluids that claim to be compatible with Hondas, but given the reasonable price, lack of abuse this fluid generally sees and the fact that these power steering units aren't a common failure item I stuck with the OEM.

I do a turkey baster suck and fill every other oil change. Order a couple bottles of the fluid when I need to online and have it on hand.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,373 Posts
I recently purged all of the Honda ps fluid out of my system(s) using this synthetic LubeGaurd, specifically for Honda Acura #24242. It's been great so far.
Liquid Bottle cap Product Bottle Fluid

Key point, if it isn't for Honda Acura "only", I wouldn't dare use it. IMO, there is no universal ps fluid that will work in Honda. Even if it says for Asian vehicles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently purged all of the Honda ps fluid out of my system(s) using this synthetic LubeGaurd, specifically for Honda Acura #24242. It's been great so far.
View attachment 154716
Key point, if it isn't for Honda Acura "only", I wouldn't dare use it. IMO, there is no universal ps fluid that will work in Honda. Even if it says for Asian vehicles.
Did you find it online or in a store

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,367 Posts
Given the power steering system has had a trouble free 128k miles existence, I’m sticking with the OEM fluid on this one. I do what @cintocrunch does (except I use a horse syringe instead of a turkey baster) to exchange the fluid. Drive a few miles, with turns, and repeat a few times.

You can order from Amazon:

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,367 Posts
View attachment 154716
Keep us posted. I think you might be the first person on the forum to use non-OEM PS fluid. Wait, maybe the second since I recall someone was in a bind and had to add Prestone to their PS system.

I just looked at the pricing for the Lubeguard. It’s about $16 a quart so inline with Honda OEM fluid. Out of curiosity what was your reason for going non-OEM?

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Keep us posted. I think you might be the first person on the forum to use non-OEM PS fluid. Wait, maybe the second since I recall someone was in a bind and had to add Prestone to their PS system.

I just looked at the pricing for the Lubeguard. It’s about $16 a quart so inline with Honda OEM fluid. Out of curiosity what was your reason for going non-OEM?
Convenience mostly.
I did not want to drive to the dealership for fluid. After all the counterfeit parts talk, I no longer trust buying genuine Honda ps fluid from anywhere accept a dealership.

Reactions: road2cycle

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
This is my method for a complete flush.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
61 Posts
Never about the money, I’m a firm believer in OE only for most things. The nearest dealer is 60 miles away is why I posed the question

I'd order on Ebay and wait a couple days for the good stuff to come. You can also get Honda Power Steering fluid at Autozone under their brand. I have used it and it works well as it is formulated for Honda cars.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts
There are a few fluids that claim to be compatible with Hondas, but given the reasonable price, lack of abuse this fluid generally sees and the fact that these power steering units aren't a common failure item I stuck with the OEM.

I do a turkey baster suck and fill every other oil change. Order a couple bottles of the fluid when I need to online and have it on hand.
Given the power steering system has had a trouble free 128k miles existence, I’m sticking with the OEM fluid on this one. I do what @cintocrunch does (except I use a horse syringe instead of a turkey baster) to exchange the fluid. Drive a few miles, with turns, and repeat a few times.

You can order from Amazon:

I do what these guys do, except I use a hand pump, which I determined was less messy than my turkey baster. Gonna use that now for its originally intended purpose.
Font Art Event Animated cartoon Illustration

I don't currently own a horse.
Art Font Darkness Event Performing arts

Tip: Turkey baster is fine, and it's what I started with, but if you have (or they're available cheap) a little pump, the sort of which I also used for my VTM-4 fluid after thoroughly washing it, it'll make the job even easier and less messy.

Edit: As well, don't forget to slowly drive in forward and in reverse, turning the steering wheel left lock to right lock back and forth a couple dozen times to spread the fluid joy within the system.
So I started emptying the power steering fluid with a turkey baster and I found it to be somewhat slow and messy, so I took out the little fluid hand pump I got for changing the VTM-4 fluid and it made the job a bit faster and cleaner.

Gonna tack on this fluid list so it too is easier to find :)

You can toe the company line on every fluid with the attached PDF if you're the never-color-outside-the-lines type, or go with what many here prefer...

• Rear differential: VTM-4
  • Front transfer case (post 2005): SAE 90 or SAE 80W-90 viscosity hypoid gear oil, API service classified GL4 or GL5
  • Power steering fluid: a trip to the dealer
  • Brake fluid. DOT 3 or DOT 4 (usually)
  • Antifreeze/coolant: blue (or green) concentrate (or pre-mixed)

• Motor oil: Mobil 1
    or Shell Rotella or Kirkland Full Synthetic (or Motomaster Full Synthetic in View attachment 147337 )
  • Windshield washer fluid: -45°
  • Transmission: full synthetic Maxlife ATF

·
Registered
12,373 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are not losing fluid and just doing a routine PS fluid change, might as well spend the money to get genuine Honda fluid.

When my room mate's pilot had a couple PS leaks (the pressure switch and the return hose) I used the Prestone stuff that specifies Honda / Acura since it was losing a small bottle's worth every few days.
When I fixed those leaks, I just filled it up with Prestone or some generic Honda PS fluid she found at a gas station.
That fluid is still in there and had no signs of further problems.

Just my experience, I cannot guarantee it is a good idea to use aftermarket fluids.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
been curious about lubegard ever since I saw it on amazon last year. let us know how it holds up over the long term.
At the time I made the switch (about 8k miles ago on my hightest milage Crosstour now at 281k), I was thinking of purchasing genuine fluid online. Saw the LubeGaurd specific for Honda, read the reviews and they were all positive. So I went for it. As many reviews stated, I noticed the steering was much smoother than before. I always blamed the old pump, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I had the PSF leak on the high pressure side O-ring on my other Crosstour, so since I needed to fix, I went ahead and prematurely replaced the PSF fluid in it with LubeGaurd #24242 since it performed well in the other. So I'm all in on this new fluid at this point. :p

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
At the time I made the switch (about 8k miles ago on my hightest milage Crosstour now at 281k), I was thinking of purchasing genuine fluid online. Saw the LubeGaurd specific for Honda, read the reviews and they were all positive. So I went for it. As many reviews stated, I noticed the steering was much smoother than before. I always blamed the old pump, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I had the PSF leak on the high pressure side O-ring on my other Crosstour, so since I needed to fix, I went ahead and prematurely replaced the PSF fluid in it with LubeGaurd #24242 since it performed well in the other. So I'm all in on this new fluid at this point. :p
Well then, if it's gone through the NG testing labs and received the Good NailGreasing Seal of Approval, I just had to add it to my sub-sticky fluid post. :)

Note: You're spelling it right and they're not. Or vice-versa. :p

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Well then, if it's gone through the NG testing labs and received the Good NailGreasing Seal of Approval, I just had to add it to my sub-sticky fluid post. :)

Note: You're spelling it right and they're not. Or vice-versa. :p
Nose Head Hand Arm Facial expression

The spelling!
LubeGard

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Even though you have 2006 Honda?
Sure, why not?

For 2007 and up Honda and Acura vehicles, Backwards compatible with older Honda and Acura vehicles
Is there a change between the 2006 and the 2007 Pilots' power steering I don't know about? I look forward to being enlightened.
Gesture Electric blue Event Symmetry Art

1 - 20 of 28 Posts