Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Pilot was making some rattling noises at the power steering pump, but the steering felt normal and fluid level was normal. I read about an O-ring on the low pressure side that is prone to failure and letting air into the system, so I replaced that and figured I'd change the fluid too. For this I used a quick method that I heard about where you just use a turkey baster to empty the reservoir and then turn the wheels from stop to stop with the engine off to get even more fluid out of the system. That seemed to work great and I got a lot of fluid out by repeating this several times. So I refilled with Honda genuine PS fluid, turned on the engine for a second or two and checked the reservoir to keep refilling as needed. After repeating this several times and turning the wheel full left to full right numerous times, I took it out for a 20 minute test drive. Now the noise is gone from the pump, but the wheel feels stiff compared to before I messed with it. The fluid level still looks good and isn't dropping any more, and I can see it circulating in the reservoir with the engine on. No bubbles or foaming. What am I missing? Why does it feel worse than before, even though the noises are gone now?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
I didn't know you had to turn the wheel lock to lock with the engine off and/or after emptying the reservoir. When I did it, I emptied the reservoir, then refilled it, then turned the engine on and drove it forward and backward a bit while turning the wheel lock to lock. It's not impossible I didn't use the best method, but I just assumed that was the way to do it. I repeated that three times over the course of a week or two, and AFAICT everything's fine.

Until someone comes along with a better suggestion, as might well happen, maybe try it my way a couple more times with 2 more bottles of PS fluid?

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
204 Posts
any time air is introduced into the system it will need to be vacuum bled out is the most efficient way otherwise the fluid will aerate and possibly damage the pump. of course most of the air bubbles will come out thru the reservoir over time maybe a day or two I think. the reservoir also has a filter built into it that can clog up with debris.

the o rings will let air in on both the inlet and outlet connections to the pump. I replaced both of mine at the same time with the new ring seals from honda because apparently they updated the design or material used

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any time air is introduced into the system it will need to be vacuum bled out is the most efficient way otherwise the fluid will aerate and possibly damage the pump. of course most of the air bubbles will come out thru the reservoir over time maybe a day or two I think. the reservoir also has a filter built into it that can clog up with debris.

the o rings will let air in on both the inlet and outlet connections to the pump. I replaced both of mine at the same time with the new ring seals from honda because apparently they updated the design or material used
Hmm, ok so how do you suppose I should handle this? I don't hear any noise from the pump at all. I am wondering if I can just drive it around to get the air out since there isn't any strange pump behavior at this time.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Give it time. The fine air bubbles will dissipate when it sits.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Until someone comes along with a better suggestion, as might well happen, maybe try it my way a couple more times with 2 more bottles of PS fluid?
You asked! lol😁
The greatest fear I have when working on the power steering is introducing air into the system. This is how I prevent that when replacing fluid...
  1. Remove serpentine belt.
  2. Remove cap from power steering reservoir.
  3. Draw off fluid just below return line to prevent spillage.
  4. Clamp return line with a padded vise grip.
  5. Disconnect return line from the reservoir.
  6. Drop return line in a bucket.
  7. Release vise grip clamp.
  8. Turn pump pully by hand to begin emptying old fluid from reservoir.
  9. Stop turning pully when reservoir is empty. Do not draw air into pump.
  10. Add fresh fluid into reservoir. Do not exceed the return line connection port.
  11. Repeat until fresh fluid flows from return line into bucket.
  12. Clamp return line with padded vise grip.
  13. Connect to reservoir.
  14. Release padded vise grip clamp.
  15. Fill reservoir to the proper level.
  16. Turn pully by hand to purge air from return line. Do not draw air into pump.
  17. Fill reservoir to the proper level.
  18. Install cap back on the power steering reservoir.
  19. Install serpentine belt.
  20. Reward self for not making a mess.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
204 Posts
just ordered the remaining hoses for my PS system along with a new reservoir and in-line filter. Will definitely have to follow this 20 step process ! hopefully at that point the noise my wife hears will go away, if not, its new pump time

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
just ordered the remaining hoses for my PS system along with a new reservoir and in-line filter. Will definitely have to follow this 20 step process ! hopefully at that point the noise my wife hears will go away, if not, its new pump time
The pump can be turned slowly with a power ratchet. But if you spin it by hand, it may take a rotation or 2 for the pump to pressure up to see the fluid move.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You asked! lol😁
The greatest fear I have when working on the power steering is introducing air into the system. This is how I prevent that when replacing fluid...

1. Remove serpentine belt.
  2. Remove cap from power steering reservoir.
  3. Draw off fluid just below return line to prevent spillage.
  4. Clamp return line with a padded vise grip.
  5. Disconnect return line from the reservoir.
  6. Drop return line in a bucket.
  7. Release vise grip clamp.
  8. Turn pump pully by hand to begin emptying old fluid from reservoir.
  9. Stop turning pully when reservoir is empty. Do not draw air into pump.
  10. Add fresh fluid into reservoir. Do not exceed the return line connection port.
  11. Repeat until fresh fluid flows from return line into bucket.
  12. Clamp return line with padded vise grip.
  13. Connect to reservoir.
  14. Release padded vise grip clamp.
  15. Fill reservoir to the proper level.
  16. Turn pully by hand to purge air from return line. Do not draw air into pump.
  17. Fill reservoir to the proper level.
  18. Install cap back on the power steering reservoir.
  19. Install serpentine belt.
  20. Reward self for not making a mess.
Wish I saw this first! Seems like the best way to keep air from getting in there. But, now that it's too late in my case, I guess I'll just drive it until it gets better...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Wish I saw this first! Seems like the best way to keep air from getting in there. But, now that it's too late in my case, I guess I'll just drive it until it gets better...
Hopefully.
Wish I could think of something else.
With no more air being introduced, should clear up each time it sits.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
If it still feels stiff after four hours, consult your mechanic. :D

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Did someone say Honda changed their power steering fluid part number? That would concern me. I know the old fluid worked fine.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I ended changing out the reservoir, the original reservoir had issues with the internal screen plugging, Honda had a new part number for it with a different screen (maybe deleted?)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I ended changing out the reservoir, the original reservoir had issues with the internal screen plugging, Honda had a new part number for it with a different screen (maybe deleted?)
Makes you wonder why there's a new part number, hmmm. When I rebuilt an 04 Civic, the power steering system was so neglected, I removed the reservoir and sprayed CRC Electronic Cleaner in it (for a lack of a better solution at the time) and flushed with water to get the gunk buildup out of it. Left it out in the sun for days so the water would evaporate (El Cheapo way, lol).

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
With that vintage label, it had probably been sitting on the shelf for quite some time, but as long as it remained sealed it's maybe OK.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Reactions: Maxforwardspeed

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
With that vintage label, it had probably been sitting on the shelf for quite some time, but as long as it remained sealed it's maybe OK.
Your saying this is the old stuff? There is something new?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts