Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a report from the wife, that as she returned home from a 50 mile trip, a total loss of power steering. No details, and I will be unable to check it out until this evening. 1200 miles on car, 6 weeks old, already had "water pump" recall work done, too. Will post more later.

:mad:

BK

·
Registered
316 Posts
silver bullet said:
Just got a report from the wife, that as she returned hoem from a 50 mile trip, a total loss of power steering. NO details, and I will be unable to check it out until this evening. 1200 miles on car, 6 weeks old, already had "water pump" recall work done, too. Will post more later.

:mad:

BK
Hey Silver Bullet,

Check out this thread.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=858&highlight=steering

If you had the towing package installed. The dealer may have forgotten to put the fluid back when they did the coolers.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Given that you had the water pump replacement, I'd be willing to bet they either didn't put something back right or knocked something loose while replacing the pump. Hopefully just a loose connection.

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No towing pkg installed..and it's been over 500 miles since recall work. Will check fluid levels when I get home..

Anybody know off the top of their head what type of power steering fluid the pilot uses? Do I have to purchase it at a Honda dealer, or will a local car parts place have it?

BK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
loss of power steering - update

Well, here's the bad news. Got home, checked owner's manual for the fluid container location, opened hood, observed fluid was full, but that the belt was hanging, and the wheel that the belt rides on, had been sheared off, just innocently lying there next to the dangling belt. Not a loose bolt at all, bolt is still in tightly in place..see attached image.

Wife had already called dealership to notify them of loss of steering, and they pretty much non-chalanted the potential severity of it, as we all did here in the prior posts. They said they would call back. Got call back from the dealership a woman this time, (asking for my wife), who's opening line was, "So you're having a little problem with you Pilot?"

Wife nearly hit the ceiling..later on in the conversation, the woman cautioned that 'they would not cover anything if a squirrel had gotten into the engine compartment and chewed through a belt, or something like that'. !!!!!!!!!! (given that the problem first became noticeable on an Interstate, at high speed, this would have had to have been one helluva fast squirrel! With really really sharp teeth, to boot!

Metal munching moon-mice, maybe?

Well, of course now the burden is on us to get the car towed to the dealership, 'cuz they don't do that, and then only after the morning rush tomorrow would they be able to look at it, will they figure out whether or not they can fix it right away, or whether a loaner vehicle is warranted, or not.

So here we go...possibly they screwed up something (overtightened maybe) when they disassembled/replaced the water pump, who knows. I am sure they will just fix it and want to move on, as if it were nothing more than a routine oil change.

I guess it's time now to add a post to the "Are you really happy with your Pilot?" forum...

more as things develop..

BK

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Belt related repairs

So often I hear of replacing a belt or component run by a belt only to find they overtighted the belt and then wear out the bearings of another belt driven component like the PS, Alternator, fan, etc. Be lucky if it is just the belt. Only been a short time, so other stuff is prob OK

·
Registered
920 Posts
This type of thing makes me super mad...

Clearly the morons at your dealership screwed something up. More than likely, it was the first one that they did. Hence, no experience, but beyond that, I'm sure no one bothered to read the tech manuals. And then to give your wife the "squirrel" response???

It's really too bad that people have to experience stuff like this. After reading the issues presented in this forum and after having experienced many of them myself, I told my wife that this will more then likely be our last Honda. You want an excellent product AND excellent service, start saving your pennies and buy a Lexus. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
PS Belt *is* R&R'd w/H2O pump fix!

Going on the assumption that replacing the waterpump on a Pilot is the same as on the MDX, here are a couple of snippets from the MDX service manual on waterpump replacement. They're snippets, remember - not all the steps:

Water pump replacement:
1. remove the timing belt
(I'll stop here, the rest isn't important)

Removing the timing belt:
...lotsa steps w/TDC, belt tensioners and such
- remove the alternator belt
- loosen the adjusting nut, locknut, and mounting bolt then remove the power steering (P/S) pump belt
...lots more, relatively unimportant given that step, methinks.

IOW, they removed and replaced the power steering belt when they did your waterpump fix. Even Inspector Clousseau could figure this one out!

Assuming there's no sign of damage from the squirrels from outerspace on that belt, I'd call the dealership, ask for the service manager, and see when he might get a FLATBED truck* out to pick up your car and have it fixed.

* I'm assuming, like the X, the Pilot should only be towed on a flatbed, else you'll fry VTM4.

·
Registered
919 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. In my career in the IT industry, when problems arise the first question is always, "What has changed or what has happened recently?" The recall repair was the obvious choice. The Worm's posting of the instructions seals the deal. This is actually what drives me crazy about repairs. It's not just the concern about them fixing it right the first time, it's what else they can screw up once they pop the hood. I agree. Make them come and get it. I would also make it a point to show the snotty lady on the phone that it was actually one of their "squirrels" that did this.

Chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: loss of power steering - update

silver bullet said:
Well, here's the bad news. Got home, checked owner's manual for the fluid container location, opened hood, observed fluid was full, but that the belt was hanging, and the wheel that the belt rides on, had been sheared off, just innocently lying there next to the dangling belt. Not a loose bolt at all, bolt is still in tightly in place..see attached image.

Wife had already called dealership to notify them of loss of steering, and they pretty much non-chalanted the potential severity of it, as we all did here in the prior posts. They said they would call back. Got call back from the dealership a woman this time, (asking for my wife), who's opening line was, "So you're having a little problem with you Pilot?"

Wife nearly hit the ceiling..later on in the conversation, the woman cautioned that 'they would not cover anything if a squirrel had gotten into the engine compartment and chewed through a belt, or something like that'. !!!!!!!!!! (given that the problem first became noticeable on an Interstate, at high speed, this would have had to have been one helluva fast squirrel! With really really sharp teeth, to boot!

Metal munching moon-mice, maybe?

Well, of course now the burden is on us to get the car towed to the dealership, 'cuz they don't do that, and then only after the morning rush tomorrow would they be able to look at it, will they figure out whether or not they can fix it right away, or whether a loaner vehicle is warranted, or not.

So here we go...possibly they screwed up something (overtightened maybe) when they disassembled/replaced the water pump, who knows. I am sure they will just fix it and want to move on, as if it were nothing more than a routine oil change.

I guess it's time now to add a post to the "Are you really happy with your Pilot?" forum...

more as things develop..

BK
They definitely screwed up! They should tow your Pilot for FREE end of story. BTW, which Honda Dealership are you working with?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hang in there - You're not alone

Silver Bullet - Due to past experiences, I can certainly feel your frustration. Suggestion: Be civil at all times and document each step. It sounds like you have more of a dealer issue and that can be extremely difficult to deal with. I would go to the General Manager and express my concern. I agree with the others, they sould carefully come get your vehicle and take care of you while it is being repaired. This pulley failure, should be of interest to AH. The belt should have failed way before the pulley. This is a safety issue. This was not your fault and you will likely need to remind them of that fact several times. This customer service thing is beyond my ability to understand. An engineer that I worked for in the past had a saying that applies here. It went like this, "I don't understand all I know about this."
Good luck and keep us posted. BP

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
power steering loss - update

Had my vehicle towed by AAA this AM, (it actually looked kinda stately up there on the flatbed)..got to the dealership, where they were waiting for me. Although my wife had immediate words with the service person who called her yesterday, they apologized several times (not for the problem with the car, but for trying to make light of a difficult situation stemmimg from yesterday's phone conversation).

So they looked shocked when they saw the sheared off wheel, and called the service tech out who did the recall work (their best guy). He claims he never had to remove the bolt that holds the wheel on, so he could not have overtightened it. The entire pump comes off as a single unit, he said.

That aside, they now need to order parts, should be in tomorrow. They are picking up the tab for the tow, and they provided us a loaner vehicle. I also asked for, and they promised, a complete re-detailing, as if the car were new.

I will still pursue making these events known further up the chain, just not sure where to start....American Honda or the local dealership..my frustration with the dealership leads me to want to just abandon them, and find a new (albeit further away) service location.

By the way, the dealership is Leith Honda, Cary, NC.

BK

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think the reference to overtightening was to the belt, at least in my mind. There is an adjustment for that they HAD to fiddle with. Looking at how the pulley is made on "my" Pilot, it seems really odd it sheared where it did. Only thing I can figure was extreme overtightening of the belt putting a lot of side load on the pulley, causing flex and metal fatigue. It will be interesting to see if a cause is determined.

Al

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got call from Service dept today. Only 5 replacement parts in US. He is getting one of them, but not until tomorrow.So, one more night with loaner car. (99 Accord, really dirty interior).

I did ask whether thay had any idea what caused this problem yet (like he'd really tell me?) and he did reply "No", but when they get the part they will call in to Honda Tech line to get all of the exact "out of factory" torque settings as they reinstall the PS pump.

Gee, I would have thought that info was available, and if it weren't that they would have done that the first time...

BK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Roadworthy again

Well, they had my Pilot for 5 days, from last Weds over the weekend, through monday because...

a) There were only 5 parts in the U.S.
b) They shipped one of them to the wrong coast
c) They needed to re-confirm all torques with Honda Tech
d) They didn't have enough time to do all the work on Saturday when the parts finally arrived (including a complete re-detailing done at my insistence)
e) They lack competence
f) All of the above

Answer is (F).

Things appear to be healed (for now)...

BK

·
Registered
919 Posts
Given the tone of your message, it doesn't sound like the healing has yet begun...

Sorry to hear about your woes.

Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
The exact same problem (sheered off ps pulley) happened to me last Monday! I am now awaiting the part... and I did have the water pump recall done already...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had to have my PS Pump replaced, too. They kept my Pilot from the 9th to the 17th. Mine was backordered as well.

But my service rep got me hooked up with a rental, and all is now well.

I still think it's because the technician failed to fill up the PS resevoir after addeing the cooler with the towing package, but after reading these, I don't know.

Ted
Happy camper, again

1 - 20 of 33 Posts