Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this isn't really a 'problem', per se, as it works correctly according to the manual, but its different than what i've experienced before. seems that all of the cars i've had have run power to the outlets all the time and not just when the key is in the ignition. my guess is that honda doesn't want you draining the battery ... though leaving my phone charging in the car never has.

not a big deal, really.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Actually, I can only think of one other vehicle that I owned that DID supply power to the power outlets without at least being in accessory mode. I prefer that it not work without the key. It is a bad thing It is a continual draw on your battery.

I had a radar detector plugged in and left my vehicle in an airport parking lot while I went on a business trip for a week. Well, guess what? I came back to a car that wouldn't start. Of course it was my fault for not unplugging it, but to be honest, at that point, I don't think I knew that it continued to supply power without the key in it.

I think most cars work this way because it is better not to drain the battery. I was pretty pissed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe its a german car thing. my audis and vws have always supplied power regardless.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:4: Great feature!!

Left the cell phone plugged in the Durango and returned three ours later to a car that would not start :confused:.

Looking forward to the Pilot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow! your cell phone drained your car battery in three hours? that doesn't sound right at all.

ejpnyc said:
:4: Great feature!!

Left the cell phone plugged in the Durango and returned three ours later to a car that would not start :confused:.

Looking forward to the Pilot.

·
Registered
395 Posts
joshr said:
wow! your cell phone drained your car battery in three hours? that doesn't sound right at all.
Must have been a Binford cell phone.
:22:

·
Registered
49 Posts
joshr said:
maybe its a german car thing. my audis and vws have always supplied power regardless.
Ditto my BMW M3 does the same thing. I always have to make sure I turn off my radar detector when I park because of this. It seems to be a German thing.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My 1997 Jeep Cherokee had a cigarette lighter and power outlet on the dash. The lighter worked with the key. The outlet was hot all the time without the key.

As for the Pilot, I think it would be nice to put one of those electric Coleman coolers in the back and have it run even when the key was out assuming it had the smarts to stop cooling when the battery started getting too low.

·
Registered
120 Posts
power outlets

Our Olds Minivan has power outlets. They do supply power 24/7 and while on vacation in Florida the first year we had the vehicle, the kids left the TV/VCR and Nin64 running one night and we were dead in the water the next morning. The fact that Honda power supplies shut down with the ignitiion is probably a good thing for us.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A Japanese Thing

I believe most if not all Japanese manufacturers have them turn off with the ignition.

Our Passat is wired 24/7 and I've forgotten more than once to unplug something. No dead battery, but it's nice not to have to worry about it with the Pilot.

Although, you could also run the radio without the key in VW's as well. Wish the Pilot could do that!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: A Japanese Thing

yeah, the radio thing is nice, too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yeah, recently rented a Fiat Muria station wagon that kept the radion on without the key. Finally found the setting in the radio to make it go off with the key. what a pain!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone checked to see if the interior light switch might control the outlets? I haven't tried it yet but it would be great if you could enable them with the key out by flipping that switch to on (instead of "door")

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would like for the rear outlet to have power without the ignition on. I wonder... does the manual make mention of it?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry, none of the outlets work without the key in. I like the feature personally and can't imagine having it on all the time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my past american made vehicles, I would leave a mobile phone charging when I was out of the car for a while. It's a pain that I can't charge my phone without turning the ignition on.

I had an '85 Pontiac that actually had a jumper on the fuse block that allowed you to choose if the lighter socket was controlled by the ignition or full time. Full time was the factory setting, but I changed it to switched for a radar detector. Does anyone know if this can be changed on the Pilot?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fuel cell solution to dead batteries and lighter sockets

The honda outlets are a convenience to run toys on long trips and thats about it thanks to their off state while the key is removed.

If you *MUST* charge your phone, your flashlight, run your two-way radio repeater so you can hear dispatch calls on your belt radio while away from the pilot, keep a laptop hooked to the internet, run your GPS, etc, you quickly find out that draining the main engine starting battery is NO PROBLEM whatsoever with all these extra loads you want to run 24x7 even though they are relatively small. (they add up quickly and a day of no driving can leave your battery almost dead) I'm sure this is why with 4 outlets honda turned them off.

What I have done is installed two sealed lead acid batteries (which can be oriented any which way you want) in parallel in the trunkspace so that my equipment doesn't need to use the Honda's starting battery. After all, I would like to start my car when I come back!

I've also bypassed the rear outlet relay (the one with the 20A fuse conveniently) so that in the event my "A power bus" and "B power bus" need to be bridged for charging I can do it at the back of the vehicle where the rearmost outlet is installed and not need a key in the ignition.

Finally I've installed a fuel cell which has a small tank of alcohol and converts it directly to electricity without any nasty exhausts. It periodically starts up, charges the B power rail with my aftermarket equipment on it, then shuts down. The amount of alcohol used is trivial for such a small load as the two-way radio, phone, and in my case even a rapid charger /amplifier for my belt radio when I return to the vehicle. It provides enough power to operate my Inmarsat M tranceiver should I be outside of cellular coverage. It also keeps my equipment separate from the factory electrical system. My B battery is always in the 13-14 V range and I use less than 1 gallon of alcohol per year to generate the electricity I consume on the B rail (oh yea - it also runs the aftermarket alarm which could be quite a surprise for someone who disconnects the battery and thinks there is no alarm)

Shoud I find a dead battery on either side I can bridge the two at the rear power outlet and charge one from the other (and start the engine if needed). I camp alot in the pilot and the one thing you never want to be stuck with is a dead engine starting battery.

When camping - the added power capacity of the fuel cell is greatly appreciated since even more loads are usually attached. The fuel cell also vents heat out when running which keeps the interior comfortable on cold nights if I choose to sleep inside the honda rather than a tent. It also makes no noise to disturb the occupants - you just notice that the B power rail voltage is climbing meaning the fuel cell is doing its job.

I've been beta testing the fuel cell for a local company now for over a year - with less than 1 gallon of alcohol used I would say it is performing well given that all my B power rail equipment stays on 24x7 and I've once used the fuel cell to recharge the main starting battery after leaving the driver's door open with the headlight switch on, walking away to load the cargo, and returning to find dim headlights and no starting ability. I wish every car had one of these for the "convenience outlets" - then they could be on all the time and not drain your main battery plus not leave you stranded.

"When you have to call AAA from the satellite phone and give them your longitude and latitude - you've gone too far!"

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow man.....I don't know if your joking or not. If your not, your depressing me...I just want 1/4 of your free time, it's been a long winter with two kids in diapers!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Priorities...

handsfull said:
wow man.....I don't know if your joking or not. If your not, your depressing me...I just want 1/4 of your free time, it's been a long winter with two kids in diapers!!
No Kidding - no wife - no kids - lots of toys but would like to have a kid sometime to add to the collection!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts