Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power outlet in center arm rest is always warm even though nothing is plugged in. Is this normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would have to guess "no". You might have a partially shorted socket which is causing a constant current flow.

Check it when the car has sat overnight and there isn't any excess heat coming from the exhaust system or ducting.

Get it checked at the Dealer if it continues.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I wonder if it could be coming from the air flow directed to the second row air vents?

Since the power outlets are unpowered without the ignition switch in the acc position, I'd expect that the outlet would not be warm in the morning - as there is no power to the outlet. You'll need to keep the outlet powered overnight - jumper on the fuse box?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
kernsk said:
Power outlet in center arm rest is always warm even though nothing is plugged in. Is this normal?

Thanks.
Seems to be normal.
It is either fdroma light mounted to iluminate the outlet or from the heater water lines for the rear heat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
heat from power outlet in center arm rest

I recently noticed this, too. Has anyone else seen this problem? I always thought it was from the exhaust system, however I now noticed it is really ony hot right around the utility outlet. My car is a Mid 2003 as well, so wonder if this was a factory problem. I'm going to have it checked now by dealer!

BTW, since outlets ARE not powered when the ignition is off, there is no heat overnight, so that's not a valid test. Suppose I can leave the accessory power on w/o running the car to see if that heats it up.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I noticed something funny about that outlet a while back: I have a 150W inverter that I plug in there for my cell phone charger or my laptop. When I turn the car off and remove the key, not only does the outlet remain powered, but the radio stays on (as if the key is still in the accessory position). This does not happen with any other 12V outlet in the car, or even in the armrest with any other device I've plugged in.
:confused: :8:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
krygny said:
I noticed something funny about that outlet a while back: I have a 150W inverter that I plug in there for my cell phone charger or my laptop. When I turn the car off and remove the key, not only does the outlet remain powered, but the radio stays on (as if the key is still in the accessory position). This does not happen with any other 12V outlet in the car, or even in the armrest with any other device I've plugged in.
:confused: :8:
AC Inverters often have a significant capacitor that interferes with the shutting off of the accessory circuits.

It is a common ISSUE (I would not call it a "problem" because it is not going to be "Solved")

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
N_Jay said:

AC Inverters often have a significant capacitor that interferes with the shutting off of the accessory circuits.

It is a common ISSUE (I would not call it a "problem" because it is not going to be "Solved")
So you're saying that the accessories are actually drawing residual power off the capacitor in the inverter. Make sense. Even switching off the inverter, keeping it plugged in, the radio stays on - but as soon as I unplug it, everything shuts off. I've never left it plugged in more than 5-10 seconds. Probably not a good idea to "test" how long it lasts.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
krygny said:

So you're saying that the accessories are actually drawing residual power off the capacitor in the inverter. Make sense. Even switching off the inverter, keeping it plugged in, the radio stays on - but as soon as I unplug it, everything shuts off. I've never left it plugged in more than 5-10 seconds. Probably not a good idea to "test" how long it lasts.
No, it actually seems that inverters capacitor keeps the cars relay pulled in and therefor the power will stay on.

It does not happen if you use the rear outlets, since they are switched separately.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: Re: Power outlet in Center Arm Rest

N_Jay said:

...from the heater water lines for the rear heat.
Is that how the rear heat works? There are 'hot' water lines running from the engine to the center console and air blows over them?

I always wondered how it was being done.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Power outlet in Center Arm Rest

Fergman said:
Is that how the rear heat works? There are 'hot' water lines running from the engine to the center console and air blows over them?

I always wondered how it was being done.
Yes, same set up as the front heat and AC. Hot engine coolant is piped into the heater core in the dash and in the center console. A fan blows across the heater core to warm the air. Similarly for the AC, but using refrigerant.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had to check that one out...It looks like there are 3??? heater cores. Weird. Oops...I guess they are showing the front one twice.

Anyone know the wattage ratings of the stock power inverter? I want to get one of equal or greater capacity.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts