Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Just found this forum - thanks for all the advice so far! Here's my problem:

First, my driver power lock wouldnt work - wouldnt open with the Key Fob, wouldnt open the interior power lock button - only way to lock it was manually. (Now, for reference, and coincidence---this happened about a year ago....right around the time that my key fob battery started dying - I changed the battery, and the lock problems solved too...weird)

That was about a week ago - now, the passenger rear door doesnt work....no reaction to fob, or power lock. And now, more of a pain...the trunk latch wont open either. (which is a real pain, since now I have to open the glass (still works) and reach my hand in to hit the manual release button).

So, thats three of five doors down - are there THREE bad actuators, or does one somehow serve as a "master"? I read somewhere that often when the driver's one goes, some others go...but this seems random.

When I drive, and the driver or rear passenger doors are not manually pressed to "lock", the car will try and lock them when the car hits, what, 10 MPH? So, it will try, try, try....meaning click, click, click....

Thanks in advance!

Michael

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It could just be a coincidence that all three failed at nearly the same time.

If you hear the clicking of the actuator trying to move the lock, it just might be worn out and not have the strength to open or close the lock.

I would remove the drivers door panel, and test for power at the lock actuator when you press the button. Make sure that all of the switches are connected on the door panel when doing this.

If you have power at the actuator connector when activating the lock/unlock button, most likely it's just a bad actuator. Replace it and test the other problem doors in the same manner.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I dont know - that sounds MIGHTY coincidental, and I am not that lucky :)

Is there any correlation between the driver's door lock actuator and the rest of them?

Seems odd that they would fall like dominoes. I checked the fuse - looks intact.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had an issue when I first bought my Pilot used where the drivers door actuator failed. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the other three are all controlled by the drivers door actuator. My issue was that the drivers door wouldn't lock with the actuator so every time I stopped and accelerated it would try to auto lock when I hit 10mph. Very annoying in stop and go traffic.

I would ask the shop to replace only the drivers door actuator, and then test again before replacing the others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue with my 2011 Honda Pilot TWO YEARS in a row. First the left rear passenger door, the driver's door, and front passenger door all failed within a month of one another, then the back latch went. All were replaced.
A year later, the back latch went again. This, on top of other issues, led us to trading that one in for a 2012 Pilot.
Last month the left rear passenger door started acting up but seemed to resolve itself. Now in the last five days, the front passenger door stopped working and tonight the rear right passenger door, even though it's locked, started clicking while the vehicle is being driven. Our regular mechanic said it's an issue with most Hondas because of the way the doors are wired, which means the company is well aware they have a problem... but since they can soak the customer every time one fails, why would they want to fix the issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having this problem with my 2012 Pilot.
Here's what I've noticed if an actuator fails.
1. If a particular door does not auto-lock like all the others, the car will sense this and keep trying to auto-lock all doors.
2. If an actuator fails to unlock a door along with the others this will keep the trunk hatch from unlocking or opening. Once I manually unlock the defective door then I will be able to open the trunk.
3. If the drivers actuator fails it might stop the other doors from unlocking/locking automatically or by using the fob. I either have to manually use the key or manually flip the lock on the door panel.

Going tomorrow to have mine replaced.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Clean the motor's commutator before you replace the whole unit. There is a thread in the 1st gen forum which shows with pictures how to disassemble and clean it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having this problem with my 2012 Pilot.
Here's what I've noticed if an actuator fails.
1. If a particular door does not auto-lock like all the others, the car will sense this and keep trying to auto-lock all doors.
2. If an actuator fails to unlock a door along with the others this will keep the trunk hatch from unlocking or opening. Once I manually unlock the defective door then I will be able to open the trunk.
3. If the drivers actuator fails it might stop the other doors from unlocking/locking automatically or by using the fob. I either have to manually use the key or manually flip the lock on the door panel.

Having the same problem. The front drive requires manual operation, and until it's physically unlocked, the rear door remains locked.

Did you have your actuator replaced, and if so, did it fix the issue?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same problem. The front drive requires manual operation, and until it's physically unlocked, the rear door remains locked.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks a lot.
Yes replacing the defective ones has fixed the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts