Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2020 Pilot EX-L. I am planning a long road trip so thinking about buying a power inverter to charge my Dell laptop which uses 240w. Therefore, I am planning to purchase this: https://www.amazon.com/300Watt-Inve...sine+wave+inverter+300w&qid=1627271952&sr=8-6

My question is, can my Pilot handle 300w draw? I heard somewhere that you can only use max 150w on Pilot without blowing the fuse. Please let me know if anyone know if I can use the above power inverter for my laptop without blowing the fuse.

Thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
My inverter is 300w. I power it from the accessory port and have never blown a fuse.

But 240w will pull 20amps, plus whatever the inverter loses. That seems like a lot for a charger, but if that's correct, it will blow the 10amp fuse on the accessory circuit.

You might do well to measure the load while charging the laptop before you buy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 12 volt power plugs are usually limited to 10 amps, or about 120 watts. Since the inverters aren't 100% efficient you're probably limited to about 100 watts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I can't charge my laptop using these inverters. :(

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
I have an inverter for camping and field work. Power battery chargers max pull 450watts. I got a 1000w unit to cover the power surge draw that devices typically generate when plugged in.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, you can run a power wire with an inline fuse direct from battery positive - similar to an audio amp install. For ground just use nearest grounding point. Some 12AWG wire with 30A fuse should let you use use the inverter at full capacity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, you can run a power wire with an inline fuse direct from battery positive - similar to an audio amp install. For ground just use nearest grounding point. Some 12AWG wire with 30A fuse should let you use use the inverter at full capacity.
Thanks for your advice but unfortunately, this is way over my head. :(

If anyone knows any easy way to charge my Dell laptop with 240watt adapter in my 2020 Honda Pilot EX-L, please share. I am planning a 14 hour road trip so being able to charge my laptop while driving will be extremely helpful.

Thank you!

·
Registered
744 Posts
You can do following: Get this model:

And also this:

Connect both cables to the terminal posts on the inverter. According to what I can find, front and center accessory sockets are on different fuses. So if you plug it into both, the inverter should have enough power for your laptop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts