Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that bugs me about our new Pilot is that the Power Door Locks do not automatically lock when starting the car and driving. I would think with all the carjackings and other safety issues that it would be an automatic feature. Talked to the dealer, and they said even with the upgraded alarm, the car won't do it. What to do?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Welcome supraman!

I've never had that feature in a vehicle so I don't know what I'm missing. I can imagine it'd be something you'd get used to though.

Care to post your Pilot info in Havasu's Vin Table Thread ?

Safe Piloting!! :29:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
supraman7 said:
One thing that bugs me about our new Pilot is that the Power Door Locks do not automatically lock when starting the car and driving. I would think with all the carjackings and other safety issues that it would be an automatic feature. Talked to the dealer, and they said even with the upgraded alarm, the car won't do it. What to do?
I too hate this about the pilot. Spoke to my dealer so luck:3: :3:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I like not having this feature.

I don't have it on my car; but my daughter does and whenever I drive her car it drives me nuts to have to always unlock the doors when we stop. Now if it locked and unlocked automatically, I probably would like it better.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm with copilot on this one. I think the auto feature is annoying.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Yeah it's a feature that's argued both ways on several threads.

I also like it for the reasons supraman7 (welcome) mentioned. The other car I have now with auto-lock doors is programmable so you can turn the feature off---along with programming the time delay on the headlights, whether or not the horn honks with the remote, etc...

I guess Honda leaves these features out because of the added cost and chance of malfunctions. It just seems like 21st century conveniences they should be adding. Oh, well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Our Toyota RAV4 has auto locking doors with its security system. Our Pilot LX didnt come with it so we added a keyless entry system after we bought it, now our doors lock automatically on it too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Depends...

I think the auto lock feature is a good one depending on how it is executed. I have the feature on my Passat which locks automatically at 8-10 mph and unlocks when the iginition key is removed. However, the other part of this system is that the door can be opened buy pulling on the inside door release handle, which unlocks that particular door. On the two rear doors, two pulls on the handle are needed. The first pull unlocks the door, the second opens it. So you don't necessarily have to remember to "power unlock" the doors to exit.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Pilot4Biking said:
I'm with copilot on this one. I think the auto feature is annoying.
Ditto.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Depends...

GonnaBe1 said:
I think the auto lock feature is a good one depending on how it is executed. I have the feature on my Passat which locks automatically at 8-10 mph and unlocks when the iginition key is removed. However, the other part of this system is that the door can be opened buy pulling on the inside door release handle, which unlocks that particular door. On the two rear doors, two pulls on the handle are needed. The first pull unlocks the door, the second opens it. So you don't necessarily have to remember to "power unlock" the doors to exit.
I have a Passat as well and love the autolock feature. My two young kids riding in the rear as passengers justify the need for the feature. The autolock feature is a wishlist item for the Pilot. Scary enough that someone can surprise you by opening the driver's door while idle at a stoplight or a similar situation if the doors aren't locked. This potentially happening at any entrance to the car is a nightmare, IMO. Safety first in my book, so if the Pilot was equipped with autolocks, I'd have them activated in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Auto door locks are great...

Right up to the point when they lock doors when you exit and unknowingly leave the keys in the ignition...

Maybe the feature should notice when the keys are actually left in the ignition?

It does... thats the problem...

Auto lock when starting is a cute feature.. causes more problems then it prevents..

my overall opinion is that it really doesn't take much to hit that little lock button to lock the doors when needed...

I'm assuming you wear your seatbelt?

Is that worth the effort?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Right up to the point when they lock doors when you exit and unknowingly leave the keys in the ignition...
Now that 's not a very logical feature. My Passat will automatically lock if I unlock the car and don't actually open a door within 30" of hitting the "unlock" button on the key fob...but I've never experienced the car automatically locking after I exit the car and the keys are left inside the cabin or in the ignition.

Auto lock when starting is a cute feature.. causes more problems then it prevents..
Haven't had one problem with the feature in my 4 years of owning the Passat. Heck, the child-safety-lock is more of the inconvenience than the autolock feature. My rear seat passengers have to deal with it though. My kids' safety comes first.

No argument from me that the feature may be a nuisance to some. To each his/her own. However, if engineered intuitively, the feature becomes beneficial and a convenience. Many vehicles have incorporated the autolock feature. The least that Honda could have done for the Pilot was make it available and give the owner the option to activate or deactivate the feature.

Again, the Pilot is a wonderful vehicle...that's why our family decided to own one. Just on my wishlist that the autolock feature was available.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
UMGoBlue said:
Now that 's not a very logical feature. My Passat will automatically lock if I unlock the car and don't actually open a door within 30" of hitting the "unlock" button on the key fob...
By the way, the Pilot does this also.
UMGoBlue said:
No argument from me that the feature may be a nuisance to some. To each his/her own. However, if engineered intuitively, the feature becomes beneficial and a convenience. Many vehicles have incorporated the autolock feature. The least that Honda could have done for the Pilot was make it available and give the owner the option to activate or deactivate the feature....
Also true. All of the vehicles I've owned in the past 7 years with auto-lock also have a the option of turning it off. For those how like it, it's "missing" from Hondas.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
BreakStuff said:
Auto door locks are great...

Maybe the feature should notice when the keys are actually left in the ignition?

It does... thats the problem...

my overall opinion is that it really doesn't take much to hit that little lock button to lock the doors when needed...

I'm assuming you wear your seatbelt?

Is that worth the effort?
I'm not trying to be a SA, but can you help me understand what point(s) you are attempting to make above? :confused:

I think for the most part, everyone that has owned a vehicle with an auto-locking feature, has liked it. Most systems are programmable to make them as "auto" as you want. That's the beauty of it (IMHO). Why Honda elected to leave this "feature" off the Pilot is a mystery - other than to reduce the cost. It is also a mystery to me why Honda disables the drivers control of the windows when the window lock feature is used. But then that's another thread!!!

:rolleyes:

:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is also a mystery to me why Honda disables the drivers control of the windows when the window lock feature is used. But then that's another thread!!!
colorider...now don't get me started on this one. If there was a nuisance/inconvenience, then this faux pas (if that is the case) is one that drives me nuts. Why the captain of the ship is locked out from controlling certain functions of the ship when the options to override control of these functions are enabled so that passengers are prohibited from using them had me puzzled. :25: Like you noted...that's another thread. :)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
UMGoBlue said:

colorider...now don't get me started on this one. If there was a nuisance/inconvenience, then this faux pas (if that is the case) is one that drives me nuts. Why the captain of the ship is locked out from controlling certain functions of the ship when the options to override control of these functions are enabled so that passengers are prohibited from using them had me puzzled. :25: Like you noted...that's another thread. :)
Actually, there are not too many things that "bug" me about the Pilot. Even this one does not bug me a lot, since I no longer have any toddlers around. But it still does not make sense. :confused:

I REALLY do like the auto-lock feature, having had it on about 5-6 previous vehicles.

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually, there are not too many things that "bug" me about the Pilot.
Oh man...this one drives me bonkers!!! I've got a 5 and 8 y.o. that, while they are wonderful kids, they are just like me...love the gadgets. Now that spring-like weather has arrived, I love opening up the windows so that we can enjoy the natural "fresh" air. I always forget to disengage the window buttons after cracking the rear windows a bit. Inevitably, within a few minutes, you'll here the whirr of the window motors. I take a look back and there they are "trying" out the window buttons. A stern "STOP IT...DON'T EVER TOUCH THE BUTTONS AGAIN" doesn't help, because as all kids, the next time they get into the car the statute of limitations on the warning has magically expired.

In addition to the safety belts and safety seats that they are required to ride in, I've resolved to strapping them in using duct tape as well. That'll keep their busying little fingers from touching any buttons during our trips. However, with the added expense of purchasing duct tape, I am now looking for other alternatives...maybe bungie cords/straps. Either that or I'll have to write a note to myself on a sticky pad and place it on my windshield as a reminder to engage the window lockout feature after everytime that I open up the windows.

Now I shall wait for kemosabe to post a fitting pic for the situation that I painted above. :D

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I agree....the window lockout feature should allow the driver to operate the windows even with it engaged.

Anyone knows how its in other honda vehicles??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts