Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're the proud owners (2 weeks) of a Pilot EXL. We've recently run into a problem with using the phone power outlet located in the console. This outlet does not remain powered with the vehicle turned off.

In using our other (non favorite) vehicle, the phone is simply plugged into the adaptor using the cigarette adaptor. It remains powered at all times. My wife has gotten used to having the car charge her phone at all times. Is this a bad thing or can the Pilot be modifed for her wishes?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
You can always modify the car, but first I would see if not having it powered is a problem.
Most cell phone run days on a charge, and only need a few hours to charge.
Also most car cordes will chrage (at a reduced rate) even when in a call.
So unless she drives little and talks a lot, or make long calls with the car off, you may find everything is fine the way it is.

If you want tiups on modifying it, ask and I will try to find an easy way.
Probably just remove and jumper the realy that controls the power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's annoying as heck!

Pluged by Garmin GPS III+ into the darn thing last week and notice it lost power everytime the engine is shut off.

Obviously easy to fix... but still incredibly annoying. Like the radio contols on the steering wheel not lighting up at night! How primitive.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Re: It's annoying as heck!

prvalko said:
Pluged by Garmin GPS III+ into the darn thing last week and notice it lost power everytime the engine is shut off.
Your location probably isn't changing much once the engine's off.

And I still don't understand why people think the radio buttons on the wheel need to be lit. They're right by your friggin' thumb. Volume UP is up and volume DOWN is down. Do we need lights on the gas pedal and brake, too?

Back ontopic: not too difficult to modify the plugs for always on, if that's your preference. Do a search here or on the acuramdx.org site; a few people have done it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Re: It's annoying as heck!

TheWorm said:

...And I still don't understand why people think the radio buttons on the wheel need to be lit. They're right by your friggin' thumb. Volume UP is up and volume DOWN is down. Do we need lights on the gas pedal and brake, too?
lol

That made me wonder too.

The steering wheel stereo controls on my other car are located on the back of the steering wheel (using your index fingers).

I've been thinking about putting mirrors on the dash so I can see them... :p

...sorry, there goes the topic again...

(check the website listed by TheWorm for you serious viewers)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Re: It's annoying as heck!

TheWorm said:

Your location probably isn't changing much once the engine's off.

And I still don't understand why people think the radio buttons on the wheel need to be lit.
Oh, a comedian... if you'd ever used a GPS you'd understand it needs a minute or two to figure out where it is everytime it's turned on - even longer if you start moving. Sorry, but it's annoying to not have DC power on that plug all the time. I have not checked, but I assume ALL the DC outlets go dead once the car's shut off.

Unfortunately I suffer from night blindness and benefit from lighted controls in my cars. I would not expect anyone with "normal" vision to understand this need. More importantly, Honda needs to light the radio buttons and electronic window controls for competitive reasons. GM, Ford, and DCX do this on cars that cost FAR less than the Pilot.

I know most everyone on the forum wishes they could get a room with their Pilot. I like ours and chose it over every other SUV I tested, but I don't need to sleep with it.

This vehicle has PLENTY of room for small improvements. The Pilot is my wife's car, but when I drive it, I miss many convenience features my 1997 Grand Prix GT has that (until now) I took for granted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
First, I am not a regular "sleeper" with the pilot.

Some things on my pilot seem a real problem, others are matters of choice - maybe not the one every person would make. For instance, even if you are blind, you probably can remember what the three controls do on the steering wheel, and operate them by feel. During the day, I don't look at them, so I don't need to do so at night either. Same goes for the window controls. Frankly, I have also driven a Pontiac, and all of the cutesy little red night lights are just distracting.

Honda makes other decisions for us, too, like the courtesy mirror lights don't work except when the lights are on - my wife doesn't like that, either, but it is fine with me. Eliminating the power when the key is off is designed to keep folks from running the battery down by accident, I'm sure. GPS? Good lord, I have two on my boat, but there are no roads there to follow, so they are on most of the time. But, I usually turn them off while at anchor, because they run the battery down. Do you really "need" a GPS active to go a few blocks, in a car? Either you are just gizmo crazy, or maybe could use a designated driver.

Some of this griping is just silly.

EJ

·
Registered
40 Posts
Continuously power cycling a device with an automatic battery charger is not wise. What can happen if its a "rapid" charger is the charger will often turn on every time power is cycled regardless of the battery charge state.

The charger will eventually turn off again but its common to find chargers that will keep going too long immediatly after a power cycle . Do this enough times and in short order you will have a battery with a small percentage of it's original storage capacity.

If your charger recharges in less than 5 hours, be carefull. If it is a trickle charger and needs 10-15 hours then you shouldn't hurt the battery with continuous power cycling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts