Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of particular interest to my friends in the Northeast, who are coming out from one of the snowiest winters on record:

Conditions are especially ripe this year for potholes, as you've probably heard. And, though our Pilots will probably take most of them pretty well, my experience the other night shows that it's not just YOUR vehicle hitting one that you have to worry about.......

I was coming home from work, in the usual line of traffic and following a somewhat beat-up looking truck, one of those with wooden sides, that usually haul landscape gear or God knows what. He was rumbling along at about 30 mph with me following about 2 car lengths behind when he hit a pothole hard, jarring the entire truck. At that moment a liquor bottle (whiskey, I believe) flew up out of the truck bed and over one of the wooden panels, heading straight for my hood or possibly windshield. I managed to swerve just enough that the bottle sailed over my hood at an angle, just glancing off the right side. (Wow, was THAT close! I managed to miss the pothole, too.) Upon checking out the Pilot when I got home, I couldn't find any mark left by the bottle, to my further relief.

Two-part moral of story:

1. Stay alert for potholes, and the mischief they may cause you via other vehicles. In similar situations, I'm going to allow extra space between me and the guy ahead. :13:

2. The incident gave me confidence that, when asked, the Pilot can respond very well in a quick maneuver situation. :18:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ziploc said:
2. The incident gave me confidence that, when asked, the Pilot can respond very well in a quick maneuver situation. :18:
I totally agree.

On my way home last night, I was cruising along when this person (don't know whether it was a man or woman or beast), decided to just pull out of the gas station exit, right in front of me.

My passengers were like :eek:

But I swerved in time to avoid the other driver.

I had flashbacks from my autocross days :)

Oh yeah.. be very careful of those potholes. I know a 'friend' whose aunt went into a pothole and vanished.. never to be heard from again!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ziploc... That's a crazy story!! A bottle of whisky of all things! So glad it wasn't a disaster!! It sure could've been! :(

Now killrbeez... you can't just say something like "the Aunt disappears into the pothole" without getting our curiosity up. Details... we want details. :D

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Ziploc said:
At that moment a liquor bottle (whiskey, I believe)
What brand ? Worth stopping to pick up :D

But seriously glad you were ok.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a close call about a month ago.

My pilot did realy good to save me from an accident.

Glad you are OK, my fellow marylander!:D

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Re: Potholes--beware

ramirami said:
Really glad you (and the Pilot) are okay Ziplock - I really hate dodging road debris when it's sitting still!

But a truly heroic ending would have included your use of the "auto-down" window feature, while swerving, reaching out to catch the bottle, and then unwinding at home with said bottle while you reflect on the good handling of your Pilot. :2:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Potholes--beware

ramirami said:

Bottle was empty (I think).

Thanks to my quick eye, I'm able to report that it was Jim Beam.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Maybe that truck in front of you didn't hit the pothole at all...

...instead, perhaps the truck was trying to avoid hitting this junior Jacques Cousteau...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
I was driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike near Exit 3 (on my way to Carnegie-Mellon University) when I had to stop for a Pittsburgh Pothole....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kemosabe said:
I was driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike near Exit 3 when I had to stop for a Pittsburgh Pothole....
Kemosabe, you've outdone yourself! Your pictures are too much! The guy fishin' in the pothole is a classis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts