Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was driving to pick up a friend to go to a party last Saturday night. Headed down a small road I was not familiar with and BAM!!

I managed to nail a pothole that was full of water. Deep SOB too. I hit it with the front passenger tire. Totally screwed up my alignment and the knuckle in the steering. My wheel is at about a 30 degree angle to the right when traveling straight. Needless to say it ruined most of my night.....until I had a few beers :D. So I decided since I had 4500 miles on it might as well take it in and get the oil changed as well.

Later that night when I dropped my friend off we stopped and looked at the pothole. It was still full of water so I don't know how deep it was. It was a big a$$ hole just inside the paint on the lines of the road.

Would my car insurance pay for any damages if I did mess more than the alignment up? Somehow I bet they would but raise my rates though.

Edited:: Just wanted to add that after I did this the rattle around the radio got much worse. I think its the face plate on the headunit.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
PaulV7 said:

Would my car insurance pay for any damages if I did mess more than the alignment up? Somehow I bet they would but raise my rates though.

I am wondering the same thing, PaulV7. I was afraid I'd have some paint damage and/or a dent from that crazy incident (see Kemo's link) I experienced....actually the result of someone ELSE in front of me hitting the pothole.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Dude, sorry to hear about your alignment being out of whack. Pot holes are abundant around here too. You're almost driving around zigzagging all day to avoid them. They suck.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
PaulV7 said:
Would my car insurance pay for any damages if I did mess more than the alignment up?
I'd call the city/town/county that's supposed to be maintaning that road and ask about filing a claim. I know in CA that oftentimes you can file a claim w/the responsible city and have them pay for it, if it's big and hazardous enough to cause damage.

·
Registered
367 Posts
New Orleans is pothole central-bigger tires?

Wow,I thought NewOrleans was Pothole Central for the USA!One reason for getting a SUV is to have the bigger tires+clearance which should give some pothole protection.
Can the Pilot take a taller tire?Might give a bit more clearance,and a little more pothole resistance.
Sorry about you Pilot-just kills you for a newish vehicle to take a disfiguring hit.Charlie

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
luckily nothing else was hurt. So it wasn't to much $$$ to fix, just an alignment.

Well this starts a whole new problem.... I asked them to check out 3 things for me.

1. my seat pops and moves a touch to the right when I go around left turns. Not all the time but once in awhile. I bought my Pilot in December so it should have the shim already.

2. My radio faceplate or something near there started rattling recently. Before this pothole but has gotten worse afterwords.

3. Did the dealer I bought my Pilot from put in the cooling system with the tow package?....had a suspicion about this

Well O'Donnell Honda (place i took it to get it worked on) didn't even drive my Pilot so how could they of looked at the seat or the rattle on the radio (looked at the odometer). They just told me they could not duplicate the problems. Of course on my way home all of these things happen.

EVEN BETTER:: They tell me Pohanka, where I bought my Pilot, did not install the cooling system for the towing package. I'm calling Honda today and giving what ever poor bastard that answers the phone an ear full.

I asked them about the starting problem (only happened 3-4 times). I got the same old if you have a magnetic swipe like a speed pass or large metal object on your key-chain it's probably that. Great job Honda lets design a security system that doesn't work cause of everyday things I carry in my pocket with my key.

This whole day totally changed my point of view on Honda. O'Donnell has won all these awards and is suppose to be one of the best dealers in MD. They don't even bother checking warranty $hit out for me. Then I find out Pohanka rips me off my not installing the cooling units for the power steering and transmission. I'm not taking my Pilot to another Honda dealership if I can help it. That crap was totally ridiculous.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Time to make noise

The pothole thing is just bad luck, but do check with the city, township, county or state, as they are sometimes responsible for these costs.

The coolers, WOW, thats a good one. Lests see they charged you for work and parts not provided. WHere I come from they call that THEFT or FRAUD!!
Seems a local lawer may want to take a look at ALL their service records to find if there is a class action case here.
I would bet you towed some since they said they did the work. Maybe they owe you a 100,000 mile warranty and the transmission and steering (Its a strech, but you don't know till you ask).

As always, have fun! :2:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I bet a certified letter to the right person in the Honda hierarchy, accompanied by paperwork from Pohanka showing you paid for the cooling system, paperwork from O'Donnell noting absence of same, and a mention Honda will be hearing from your lawyer---may produce results without you having to pursue this further (unless you want to).

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Ziploc said:
I bet a certified letter to the right person in the Honda hierarchy, accompanied by paperwork from Pohanka showing you paid for the cooling system, paperwork from O'Donnell noting absence of same, and a mention Honda will be hearing from your lawyer---may produce results without you having to pursue this further (unless you want to).
They will simply tell you it was an "oversight". Seems $tealers are good at doing this and they never seem to get caught in anything fraudulent. Grrrrr.......... :3:

·
Registered
465 Posts
On a similar note...

Last night I was driving home from dinner. It was about 9:30 - pretty dark outside. Talking on the cell phone and suddenly WHAP! An old beat up truck passed me going the other direction. I knew he threw something on my Pilot. I got home and didn't see any dents, so I figured everything was a-ok. This morning I surveyed further and found that whatever he threw on my Pilot hit the moulding on the driver's door and put a deep nasty gash in it.

So, I'm sitting here this morning stewing over this. It was so dark last night, and the truck that threw the "whatever" was going so fast, there was no way to get a good description of it other than beat up white truck. And, I think it is too minor to turn into insurance. I do have a $0 deductible on stuff like windshield replacement, etc, so I don't know, this might be covered. Then again, the insurance company might look at me like, "ok, you are asking us to replace moulding that has a one inch gash in it? Are you loony?"

:3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cooling System

Hey PaulV7!!

I would like to know more about the cooling system that was suppose to come with your tow package, if you wouldn't mind. We had the towing package installed but it wasn't something we researched diligently so I am not aware of what should have been included.

Please if you or anyone has a second and could just give me a brief explanation, I would appreciate it. Meantime, I will search for it as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: On a similar note...

catbert said:
Then again, the insurance company might look at me like, "ok, you are asking us to replace moulding that has a one inch gash in it? Are you loony?"

:3: :3: :3:
Yep, you are Looney!

Looney to pay for coverage you are afraid to use.

Comprehensive rates do not go up based on your claims (like collision can).

You paid for the coverage, use it!

P.S. they may not pay the full amount as the trim is still functional, unlike a broken windshild.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
klowry sure no problem. The cooling system I am referring to is a pretty simple one. What it is is they replace the power steering hose and transmission hose with different ones. These new ones have fins that act as heat-sinks to disperse heat from the tube.

Check out page 5 of this
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/03pilot/hitchkit.pdf

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am obviously untrusting person by nature, so how can you determine whether it was instlled as specificed or not?

I would rather ask and be sure than not. One time, in my old Passat, I asked for my transmission fluid to be flushed. I had them call me to tell me how it went and what the condition of the fluid was, they told me dirty but no metal pieces. Great I paid for it, but while I was there I asked them to show me where the dip stick for the transmission fluid was, since I wasn't able to find it, even using the owners manual.

To make a long story short, there wasn't one, my transmission was sealed from the manufacturer up to 100,000 miles and there was no dip stick to access, needless to say it took almost an hour before they all gave up and I was refunded my money plus some since they were unable to have changed the fluid they claimed they had...

So now I like to double check my maintenence. I wish I could go back in the back and watch them do it, so I can see what they actully do and don't do...

Anyway,
Thanks Again!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
You should be able to see 2 "U" shapped tubed running horizontal in front of the radiator.
They have fins on them.
The factory set-up has only one tube and it does not have fins.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Paulv7,

Before letting loose on the selling dealer re: the p/s and tranny coolers, I'd make an effort to visually check yourself whether they're installed. Just wondering whether your servicing dealer -- who didn't even bother to drive the car to check for the seat pop or dash rattles -- would be similarly disinclined to pop the hood and peek. Wouldn't be surprising if they just BS'd their way through that, too.

There's a pic of their location somewhere around here, or on the MDX site.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The easiest place to see it is right above your license plate and off to one side. There is a U-shaped metal tube. Yours should have fins coming off of it in the straight parts.

It is illustrated in the link I posted above. pages 5-8 or so

Worm I checked it out. It's the regular tube not the one that is suppose to come with the towing package

·
Registered
95 Posts
Frustrations!

Dealers URGGGH!!

I am trying to determine whether he cooling system was installed with my hitch package. Or if not be sure at least that I didn't pay for it to be.

Well talk about the run around, I called service and the are clueless about details such as this, they just have tow hitch, completed. So I spoke to delivery options to see if it is included in the price. Well low and behold two weeks after my purchase they are unable to break down the accessory prices to say what I paid for what. But read from their book that fluid coolants were apart of the package. They of course refer to them as coolants, as in fluid consistency rather than elements or coils... so I call service back and ask for the manager... Finally I end up with a technician, who then proceeds to tell me that he believes the 2003 pilots come with them already installed, the ATF fluid cooler that is. I explained I was referencing instuctions for the 2003 Pilot from a dealer parts instuctions and it shoed how to install in which didn't lend itself to already being installed. He of course said without seeing the vehicle he couldn't say. URRGGG

I can't wait to get off of work so I can hopefully look through the grille and maybe tell one way or another and let all H*LL loose if it isn't.

Why is it that we have to police these dealers and service advisors so much, I don't have time for all these dishonest people. Is it just me or is that all the industry saturated with anymore???

Urgg, now it gets worse, if it isn't installed and I make these people mad, I don't want to take my car back to them to "fix" it would be like makiing the cook mad before he prepares your food. Yuk, Any suggestions about handling this?

·
Registered
95 Posts
PaulV7 - ping

Hey Pual, whatever happended with your dealer concerns? The last I heard was that you got the manager and he agreed with you that the coolers should have been installed and said "come down Saturday"... Did it work? How is it? Any different?

I am suppose to go today and "supervise" the installation of mine and I just wondered about yours..

Good Luck!! and thanks again for getting me sorted out on these, it has really helped!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts