Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently own 96 Tahoe and am considering buying another Tahoe or a Pilot this year. Considerations for Pilot are: 1. Should i wait for 2004's ? 2. Carry a 16' canoe on Tahoe roof using Thule cross bars attached to roof rails. Is there enuff distance on pilot roof rails to balance this canoe safely at 70mph? Saw some previous discussions about 3.5 ft length of Pilot roof rack. Tahoe is approx 52". 3. Are front seats comfortable on long trips? We take several trips a year where we drive 14-15 hrs/day. Notice power seats are not available on passenger side. Problem? 4. My "bride" is concerned about ease of entry/exit and handling. Doesnt like Tahoe due to difficulty in entry/exit, hard to park, width, large turning radius. She wants something much more car like, but with cube for hauling. She likes the Odyssey minivan. 5. Want something that gets better mileage than the Tahoe, although it doesn't do bad for full size suv @ 14 mpg in 50/50 mix and 17-18 on hiway at 70mph. EPA estmate for Pilot is 17/22. Are you folks with Pilots that are broken in getting this? Thanks for any advice. :confused:

·
Registered
385 Posts
We're getting pretty close to the indicated mileage (odometer currently at 12,000). Pilot certainly is easy to enter/exit.
Due a search on "kayak" or "canoe". Someone had a recent post where the used a (thule or yakima) "tower" over the driver & passenger door- to get added stability for their kayak. Else, may have put one of those foam "cradles" up there for added stability.

Finally, front seats very comfy on long trips. Lack of power passenger seat is your call, no big deal imho. Personally I like the fact that they spare the extra weight the motors add to the vehicle.

Good Luck

·
Registered
725 Posts
One PILOTeer's Response

Let me address your questions point - by - point.

1: The size of the PILOT isn't going to change for '04 - and being that it is based off the MDX/Odyssey platform, first year problems - IMO - aren't a huge problem with this vehicle.

2: I would measure the roof rails of the PILOT and Tahoe, and even go as far as asking your Honda dealer if they'll let you check out the canoe on the PILOT. Most dealers I've encountered will accommodate some of the more "unusual" requests by potential owners.

3: I've put 10k miles on my PILOT in four months and spend quite a bit of time on the highway - the PILOT is extremely comfortable on road trips. My wife has not complained once about not having a power seat option on the passenger side. The seats are very comfortable.

4: Getting in and out of the PILOT is a breeze - no problem at all. As for handling and turning radius - the PILOT once again is a class-act.

5: I've gotten as much as 25 mpg on roadtrips in my PILOT - flying between 75 & 80 mph. The PILOT will kick the Tahoes backside in the fuel economy (relative term considering we're talking about SUV's) department.

6: I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BUYING A PILOT - One of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I can't seem to cram enough stuff into it!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
48 Posts
My thoughts on several of your questions--
totally happy with the first year production model. I've had the Pilot for two months and 2500 miles with absolutely NO complaints;
my bride is 5' 2" so I installed the running boards which makes getting in/out with dress/skirt graceful not to mention easier to chamois when you wash it;
mileage has been around 18 in town and 22 on highway so EPA estimates are right on;
turning radius is very tight--really unbelievable given the size--My wife didn't want a "tank" to drive after having had two minivans over the last 14 years. She loves the handling, ride, and the view she gets from sitting up a little higher than the minivan. You won't go wrong getting a Pilot if it meet's your requirements.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Also, if cost is a hurdle, the PILOT is a lot cheaper than a similarly-equipped Tahoe, especially since 4x4 is standard. If they would have been the same price, I could have very well gotten a Tahoe myself ;)

My #1 complaint: You say you do a lot of long distance travel.....when you drive a Pilot, test the cruise control going up hills! The 5-speed tranny hunts gears like crazy......IMHO, very irritating!

But then again, it is designed to shift on hills to, as Honda says, give you ample power for passing if needed. Fine, but I still don't like it. :(

Also, I find that there is no one driving position that I'm totally comfortable with....nothing that a telescoping wheel won't fix (like the '03 Accords)

Otherwise, I think you'll find it a very capable vehicle. Good to average fuel economy for an SUV, I once got 450mi out of one tank.
Very easy to drive, well-built though it has a few of the usual first-production-year "bugs" that plague any new car. Still, if you don't get a Tahoe, this should be next on your shopping list.

Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm 5'4"...

and have no problems getting in and out of the Pilot. That was one of the top requirements in getting an SUV. I don't want to have to "hike" myself in every morning.

IMO, seats are very comfortable. The front seats go all the way to my knees, which is great. My husband is taller, and they don't go quite that far on him, but he finds them much improved over my Volvo. Also, leg room in front and 2nd row is great.

Drove from NC to Orlando and was very comfortable. I also rode in the 2nd row most of the time, and it was nice back there.

My last three tanks of gas (the Pilot takes regular unleaded, which is great) have gotten 19.54, 19.55 and 18.31 mpg. These are all from driving around town, and the last tank I spent a lot of time idling while waiting for my husband in stores, not driving. (Did that make sense at all?)

Anyway, with all of this and the outstanding safety rating, and the fact that I've not had any problems with the vehicle (10k miles so far) I wouldn't have any other vehicle!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts