Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife loves her 2008 Pilot, has 330,411 & counting. Bought w/22,000 miles on it. Have done all work myself...we’ve been lucky.
-3rd battery & alternator
-Ball joints, tie rods, rear shocks
-Countless brake pads, original rotors.
-pcv valve, 3rd set of plugs
-original tranny; drain & refill every 40,000.
  • New EGR valve, had to clean 3 times.
  • 2 timing belt services
  • New radiator
  • Valve adjustment, new gaskets
  • VCM oil change
  • Transfer case oil change
  • probably more...

·
Registered
67 Posts
My wife loves her Pilot: have done all work myself...we’ve been lucky.
-3rd battery & alternator
-Ball joints, tie rods, rear shocks
-Countless brake pads, original rotors.
-pcv valve, 3rd set of plugs
-original tranny; drain & refill every 40,000.
  • New EGR valve, had to clean 3 times.
  • 2 timing belt services
  • New radiator
  • Valve adjustment, new gaskets
  • VCM oil change
  • Transfer case oil change
  • probably more...
Thanks, I've been looking for some real history. Could you please add the model and year. Is the mileage one owner and easy highway mileage or a good mix with city driving and no hills? I'm sure the people in the midwest on flat long highways get high but easy mileage. Thanks. My first but old Pilot 2010 now 112,000 NH city and hills.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has a good mix of city driving and some highway. Drove to SC a few times, (through WV mountains); also to NJ. My wife has ran all over with the Pilot. Has been a great car

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Also hope to get 482,803.2 clicks on mine (sounds even more impressive in kilometers). Halfway there. :)

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
200 Posts
We're at 378,000 miles on our 05 Pilot. Owned since new. Still running like a champ!

Chris
That is Impressive!!! Any major work done? Will you let us in on oil & transmission fluids used and frequency of changes? Looking for a magic formula ??!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,656 Posts
This is impressive that some of the Pilots out there have reached 300k miles. That says something about their build quality. Our 2005 still has 85k miles to go before it reaches the 200k mile club . . . it will be 2030 before that happens given its current average yearly mileage. In 2043 perhaps it can become part of this club.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is Impressive!!! Any major work done? Will you let us in on oil & transmission fluids used and frequency of changes? Looking for a magic formula ??!
Thanks!
Nothing major, just standard maintenance for the most part.

Oil changes at 3000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20. Transmission oil every 30000 miles with the Honda fluids. Timing belt every 100K (dealer did the first one, I did the next two ... can't believe it's almost time for another.) I've done shocks and struts a couple of times. Starter went out at around 300,000 and the original alternator just went last summer.

Best car ever!

Chris

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
300k ? you should be on your 3rd timing belt change ... congrats to all

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm at 323,000 on my 2003 and am the 3rd owner.

Bought it almost 2 years ago from a friend who moved south. The dash had enough different colored lights that it looked like a Christmas tree - a mechanic told my friend the PCM was fried, it was merely the VTM-CEL combo due to the valves.

Work done in the last 2 years:
Suspension:
Rear sway bar links
Front axles and outer tie rods
Brakes and rotors (x2) - I just switched to Powerstop rotors and Wagner ceramic pads, great combo

Engine/Drivetrain:
EGR valve and cleaned intake plenum
Valve adjustment, gaskets, plugs and new seals for coil packs (needed to adjust 23/24 valves)
3rd and 4th gear tranny switches
Tranny drain and fill
Rear diff drain and fill
Power steering low-pressure return pipe and new seals on connections

Interior:
Changed right rear inner skin
3/4 door locks and new handles

The nearby U-Pull it yard gets a first gen Pilot about 1x/2 months. I've been able to get many of the interior parts a d a full-size spare there for cheap. They run sales and during their next sale will get a power steering pump to send off to Rock Auto to get rebuilt (it struggled this winter until warmed up). A new Denso radiator is on the way from Rock Auto, give me something to work on during this COVID lockdown.

The next timing belt is due at 345,000 - I drive ~10-12k per year, so that will be done in the summer of 2021. I've told my son (who's almost 15) that he can have it for his first car - my wife and older daughter both drive Subarus, and this is just as good in the snow/ice as those.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
200 Posts
Nothing major, just standard maintenance for the most part.

Oil changes at 3000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20. Transmission oil every 30000 miles with the Honda fluids. Timing belt every 100K (dealer did the first one, I did the next two ... can't believe it's almost time for another.) I've done shocks and struts a couple of times. Starter went out at around 300,000 and the original alternator just went last summer.

Best car ever!

Chris
THANKS!!! Maaannn..... THAT IS AWESOME!!! Have you had valves adjusted?

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
200 Posts
I'm at 323,000 on my 2003 and am the 3rd owner.

Bought it almost 2 years ago from a friend who moved south. The dash had enough different colored lights that it looked like a Christmas tree - a mechanic told my friend the PCM was fried, it was merely the VTM-CEL combo due to the valves.

Work done in the last 2 years:
Suspension:
Rear sway bar links
Front axles and outer tie rods
Brakes and rotors (x2) - I just switched to Powerstop rotors and Wagner ceramic pads, great combo

Engine/Drivetrain:
EGR valve and cleaned intake plenum
Valve adjustment, gaskets, plugs and new seals for coil packs (needed to adjust 23/24 valves)
3rd and 4th gear tranny switches
Tranny drain and fill
Rear diff drain and fill
Power steering low-pressure return pipe and new seals on connections

Interior:
Changed right rear inner skin
3/4 door locks and new handles

The nearby U-Pull it yard gets a first gen Pilot about 1x/2 months. I've been able to get many of the interior parts a d a full-size spare there for cheap. They run sales and during their next sale will get a power steering pump to send off to Rock Auto to get rebuilt (it struggled this winter until warmed up). A new Denso radiator is on the way from Rock Auto, give me something to work on during this COVID lockdown.

The next timing belt is due at 345,000 - I drive ~10-12k per year, so that will be done in the summer of 2021. I've told my son (who's almost 15) that he can have it for his first car - my wife and older daughter both drive Subarus, and this is just as good in the snow/ice as those.
Another one KILLIN’ IT!!! Congratulations bro!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
THANKS!!! Maaannn..... THAT IS AWESOME!!! Have you had valves adjusted?
Amazingly enough, no I haven't. Think that might be a good thing to check out at the next timing belt change. We bought this car when my son was born in August '05. I would have never guessed that he might actually be able to get it for his sixteenth birthday. :)

Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
Amazingly enough, no I haven't. Think that might be a good thing to check out at the next timing belt change. We bought this car when my son was born in August '05. I would have never guessed that he might actually be able to get it for his sixteenth birthday. :)

Chris
I would get on it ASAP as when I checked the valve clearance on my '05 four years ago it had slightly over 156K miles and ALL of my exhaust valves were waaaay too tight. In contrast,all of the intake valves were within spec. For several months beforehand I would occasionally have the VTM light come on at start-up if I was parked on a slight incline. After adjusting the valves it's never come back on. I've adjusted the valves on my '98 CRV quite a few times(currently has 285K miles under her belt) and it's not that difficult of a job on THAT vehicle. There's more involved on the Pilot...gotta remove the intake manifold to get to the bank near the firewall and I used a rubber pad to lay on while I was draped over the engine to adjust the valves in the rear bank.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
35 Posts
2006 Honda Pilot 2 WD, 318,300+ and going. Maintenance record since my "Post if your Honda Pilot has greater than 200,000" post is as follows. At 300,000 or so I replaced the front outer tie rods, control arms and strut assemblies. At 315,000 I finally replaced the Camshaft position sensor (I had an intermittent "Camshaft position sensor circuit intermittent code"), and oxygen sensors 1 and 2. I get about 19.5-20 mpg consistently on combined highway and city. I take this Pilot up in the mountains and off the pavement as well as use it for a commuter vehicle. I do most of my own mechanic work, but leave the dirty jobs (oil and trans fluid) changes to the professionals. Last timing belt change was 275,000. I adjusted the valves myself as well as the timing belt change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2005 Pilot has 309,000 miles. It has taken my daughter college and back. We are now driving it to do deliveries. No major repairs. Love this car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts