Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

681 - 698 of 698 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 Honda Pilot with 266K+ miles on it. Original tranny and engine, original suspension, wheel bearings & hubs as well. My ex put 20k on it without having the oil changed before I took it back. After my last transmission service the drive light started blinking after a few 2 hour drives. I just pulled over and let it cool down. It stopped after I started shifting through the gears a couple times.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You may want to change the radiator asap! 2005 are known for their catastrophic failure when tranny fluid and coolant are mixed after a failure of tranny line inside the radiator. But first, check the coolant reservoir for strawberry milkshake color. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You may want to change the radiator asap! 2005 are known for their catastrophic failure when tranny fluid and coolant are mixed after a failure of tranny line inside the radiator. But first, check the coolant reservoir for strawberry milkshake color. Thanks.
What do people do, change the radiator and add an external cooler? Can you just add an external cooler and cap off where the lines go into the radiator?

·
Registered
267 Posts
There are two types of radiator leaks involving tranny line--external and internal. Both, due to corrosion (weak design), will not be affected by external tranny cooler. Being known for its higher percentage of radiator failures (among first gen), many 2005 owners have replaced their radiators--some did it preemptively and some after the failure (that includes yours truly).

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are two types of radiator leaks involving tranny line--external and internal. Both, due to corrosion (weak design), will not be affected by external tranny cooler. Being known for its higher percentage of radiator failures (among first gen), many 2005 owners have replaced their radiators--some did it preemptively and some after the failure (that includes yours truly).
I need to do my research on this issue. The big problem comes from the internal leak where the 2 fluids mix; putting atf into the cooling system and losing atf for the trans? What did you have to do after the failure/mix of fluid? I feel like atf in cooling system isn't great and would be tough to get clean

·
Registered
267 Posts
I need to do my research on this issue. The big problem comes from the internal leak where the 2 fluids mix; putting atf into the cooling system and losing atf for the trans? What did you have to do after the failure/mix of fluid? I feel like atf in cooling system isn't great and would be tough to get clean
Ah, no! It's the other way around! It's putting coolant into the transmission. This is almost always fatal to the transmission! That is, contaminating the transmission with coolant will result in the destruction of many parts of transmission. One of the most prominent signs of this happening is the strawberry milkshake color (as a result of mixing of coolant and tranny fluid) of coolant in the radiator and the plastic coolant reservoir. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Another update on the Hydraulic tensioner on the 03-08 pilots. As I said I had a hydraulic tensioner fail after only 7000 miles and have read about many of these failing prematurely. I found the model and year of the Honda with the SPRING tensioner. It is a 2000 Honda Accord. O’Reilly auto parts has it and the part number for the Hates brand is :T43198 $112 and a Dorman: 420-100 $73. Please note that I have not verified the fit over to our Honda Pilots so if you try it it is at you own risk. I WILL be doing this within one month and I will update for anyone who is interested. If it works like the guy on the YouTube said then it will put a stop to the premature failure on the hydraulic tensioner that always leaks and fails. Till then...
Interesting. Keep us posted. We would Hates for it not to work. :)

@Wombat Any update on that spring-loaded tensioner? You were going to install it eight months ago and keep us posted. How did it work out?

I'm just a bit confused because on Rockauto the Gates T43198 is described as "hydraulic."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Pilot EX-L Nav with 254K miles. Its been a great car, changed the timing belt at 150K, looked brand new. Other than that, just oil, brakes, tires, and fluids. I'm not driving it as much as I used to, it burns a little oil now, so I've got to add a quart or two between changes. Had to replace the O2 sensors for SMOG this year, the one after the cat on the firewall size is a PAIN. AC compressor just went out recently, planning on replacing it, the condenser, and the serpentine belt soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Post if you have 200k miles on you pilot and no issues, original engine and tranny!
I have a 2006 EX-L and it runs great. It has 2 minor problems that in the scheme of things i feel silly complaining about. The headliner is starting to come down on spots because the foam backing is deteriorating. My biggest issue is rear passenger door is stuck closed

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
There isn't a seat belt stuck in there between the door and the jamb, is there? It's been known to happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thought you guys might be interested in seeing what happened to my Pilot today... 333,333 miles.

2006 Pilot EX with original engine and transmission. Only items to be replaced other than normal wear and tear is the starter, alternator and drive shafts. Still has the original exhaust which is just amazing to me. I change the timing belt every 100,000 of course as well as changing all of the fluids (tranny, brake, coolant, power steering) at the same time. Other than that its routine oil and brake pads/rotors as needed.

I had a 99 Accord that made it to 308,000 as I was driving it to the dealership to trade it in (overheating all the way) but this is the highest that I've ever had on any car. This thing is rock solid too, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country right now. Still gets 21-22 MPG all day long. TPMS light is intermittent over the last few weeks after I thought it gave up the ghost a few years ago. The check engine light comes on occasionally but its normally for the cats being ineffective. I just reset it and keep on.

Zero rust!! Living in NC helps.

Interior is in great shape with no tears but a fair amount of stains from kids (big and little) over the years. Replaced the sagging headliner about 2 years ago but other than that it's original. Original A/C that still blows cold even in July.

It's far from perfect with some spots on the roof where the clear coat is coming off and tons of small nicks in the paint but mechanically she is fantastic. I plan on keeping her until she finally dies, who knows how long that will be. Like the guy at the service station said after I got my last annual inspection done...'that car doesn't owe you anything does it'. No sir, it certainly doesn't.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Just acquired a 2007 EX FWD with 201,700 miles... Seeing this gives me great hope
If it's got a good service record pedigree, it'll repay you well if you maintain it well.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
202,400 as I type - Purchased 2004 Pilot EXL with 30K miles and have changed ATF fluid (drain & re-fill) about every 30K miles

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
681 - 698 of 698 Posts