Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

621 - 640 of 642 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
2003 Honda Pilot with 215k miles. One owner (me), ordered and purchased new. Original engine and tranny. Normal maintenance and have had to replace front suspension items that have worn out. Also fixed driver side front-left seat bracket recently (it had broken) - details in another post.

This is still my daily ride, with the longest trip from Indiana to/from Key West Florida a number of years ago.
Overall this has been an excellent vehicle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2005 EX-L has 206,000 miles on it. Original engine and no major work that I can recall. We are the original owner. I'm trying to decide if I should get timing belt #2 installed. I have some suspension sounds from the rear that are worrying me now. We just got new tires on it. What a great car this has been and it still drives great. All of my HVAC control lights are out, so I need to tackle that. Also my TPMS light is on all of the time. I need to spend some quality time with this car and take care of some of these things.
Check your rear swaybar bushings. If bad use genuine Honda bushings. Aftermarket's are junk.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For your climate control lights, this should help:
Climate control button lights

For your TPMS light, time to get new sensors. Usually a good idea to get those when you get new tires, or change them for the season, as the little batteries in them typically last 7-10 years, more if you're lucky.
I've had that light come and go. I put a piece of electrical tape over it. I've had tire pressure tire icon come on a few times. Taped that one up and it went away too. No tape no lights now.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I've had that light come and go. I put a piece of electrical tape over it. I've had tire pressure tire icon come on a few times. Taped that one up and it went away too. No tape no lights now.
Do you tape up a flat tire, too? :p We'll have to add "Does it warn you?" and "Does it leak? to the flowchart. :D

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
What year is it?
It’s a 2007. It’s had a few minor issues. Alternator failed a couple years ago. I’ve replaced 3 of the 4 window regulators over the last 2 years. I just recently removed the VTEC solenoid and replaced both gaskets because it was puking oil in the garage. It needs struts and shocks now (not mad about that!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh, and we had to recently replace the oil pump when doing the second timing belt job. And an O2 sensor that was oil soaked by the VTEC solenoid

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
What is it about the VTEC solenoids and gaskets on these Pilots? You're not the only one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is it about the VTEC solenoids and gaskets on these Pilots? You're not the only one.
And the dealer telling people, you can get the outer gasket but you can’t get the inner gasket and that’s the one that leaks! I beg to differ, I ordered the 2 gasket set online and did the whole job myself in about 90 minutes!! Dealer wanted over $1k and I fixed it myself for less than $30

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
And the dealer telling people, you can get the outer gasket but you can’t get the inner gasket and that’s the one that leaks! I beg to differ, I ordered the 2 gasket set online and did the whole job myself in about 90 minutes!! Dealer wanted over $1k and I fixed it myself for less than $30
Good going. (y) Post a link where you bought yours from so others can benefit from your experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Search YouTube and you’ll find that it’s actually a pretty easy job!! Don’t be intimidated because it’s hard to get to, it locates on dowel puns and only requires 4-5 hoses and brackets to be moved to get access to it! Hardest part was separating the 2 halves of the solenoid because I don’t have a vice.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX
1 Posts
I received my 2005 Honda Pilot as a gift from my dad, he picked it up at an auction. I actually use it to deliver mail here and there when my route vehicle is down for maintenance. Has 211k

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my 2005 Pilot EX early in January of this year and I love it. Have been doing all kinds of reading on this site about this particular year and you guys really rock, better than having a mechanic in your pocket. As you can see my "child" has 238760 miles on, though I am not the original owner I am trying to do any and all things that need to be checked out and done with a vehicle for this kind of mileage. Please feel free to throw any ideas out at me. All fluid levels look nice and clean and just had timing belt, serpentine belt, and anything necessary done to the front of the engine short of the main seal.
Thanks for all your input on all those questions we ask.

Rich
Orlando, FL

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2006 pilot ex I picked up last year for my 16yr old to drive with 232,xxx and now has 242,xxx. Don’t know all the history but believe same engine and transmission. I think The pilot is built like a tank and a great first car. Also have a 2103 pilot with over a 100,000

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, this happened last night -

2008 Honda Pilot - owned since new. Only unexpected failure over the years was a complete transmission failure that was replaced under warranty. Joined this forum a while ago when I replaced the light bulbs in my HVAC controls and thought I would share.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a 2006 pilot ex I picked up last year for my 16yr old to drive with 232,xxx and now has 242,xxx. Don’t know all the history but believe same engine and transmission. I think The pilot is built like a tank and a great first car. Also have a 2103 pilot with over a 100,000
I am passing on my 2006 Honda Pilot to my Daughter next year-,She’s already claimed it, has started putting decals on the back - it has about 233,000 I feel very comfortable with her behind this tank!! My insurance agent got his teen dtr a Pilot and she was in an accident - The Honda saved her!

·
Premium Member
2005 EX-L and 2007 EX-L W/Nav
2 Posts
I own a 2007 and 2005. 2005 has 196K miles and 2007 has 175K. Getting ready for the 2nd timing belt change on the 2005. I'm 54 y/o and have owned a fair number of vehicles. These 2 vehicles have held together both mechanically and interior-wise better than any other that I have owned.

621 - 640 of 642 Posts