Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

581 - 600 of 621 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey y’all, new here! I have an 05, that I bought almost four years ago with 189k on it. Since owning this truck I’ve replaced the alternator, starter, and had a bout of the serpentine belt slipping off anytime there was any significant amount of rain/standing water on the ground. The serpentine belt issue was solved when my wife discovered we may have been using the wrong belt or we were being given a belt that was just a little to big for the Pilot. Last week, while on the way to drop my daughter off at school I heard a loud clank from the engine and thought it was all over(now 238k)... the steering wheel became hard to turn and I was relieved that it felt like the serpentine belt had come off again. Luckily I was able to drive it back home where I realized that the serpentine belt was not only off but also frayed. Long story short I wound up having to replace the serpentine tensioner and decided to do the power steering pump as it was also making noise. I love this truck and am grateful for its reliability and (relatively) low cost of maintenance. I hope that I can continue to have longevity from this vehicle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
235,500 Miles. I'm the 2nd owner but I have all of the maintenance records since the car was new. The timing belt/water pump were replaced at 103k & 188k, catalytic converter replaces at 170k, and I had the radiator replaced at 200k just for peace of mind as I don't like strawberry milkshakes. Other than those things, just regular maintenance. I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Post if you have 200k miles on you pilot and no issues, original engine and tranny!
Yes! My 2005 Pilot with original tranny & engine just crossed 200k over the holidays. (on the 2nd timing bely!) Love this car and couldn't be happier. Facing a couple of minor repairs and spiffing up some cosmetic details, but hoping to keep her on the road for another 100K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '03 Pilot (I'm the original owner), still driving it. Just under 300k miles so far. All original parts. Had the engine carbon build up cleaned out a couple of years ago and one transmission pressure sensor that always shows up as bad after a few months since changing it (so I stopped bothering). There are a couple of water leaks and just started leaking oil just under the fuel pump. That's it for any major stuff, other than routine maintenance.

Best car I've ever owned. Hauls with ease, loads everything, runs generally very well. Gas mileage could be better, and I hate they did away with the center console layout on the newer models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
204k on a 2006 purchased at the end of 2005. Love this car. Dislike the electronics on all the new cars.
I think all the major repairs have been done to it but will need timing belt and rear seal soon. May give up on it soon. Running great right now except the starter.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a little over 201K miles on my '05 which I bought in '13 with 99K miles under her belt. Overall, it's been very reliable but a little over a year ago I was getting the dreaded Flashing D on the instrument cluster and trouble codes P974 & P980 which are opens in shift solenoid A & C circuits respectively. I replaced them but the codes remained...and then occasionally I started getting a P970 code. Eventually I figured it out..the transmission ground(G151 in the FSM) was at fault due to corrosion on the small wires connected to the grounding block. I did a quick fix to get it back on the road until the new wiring harness arrived. No problems in that regard since the fix.

Several months later the P/S high pressure hose starting leaking ever so slowly due to a small crack. Word to the wise, save yourself some time and frustration and get the Honda OEM hose as I initially went with a well-built aftermarket unit but the metal pipe bend where it screws into the steering rack was all wrong and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to thread into the rack. It was infuriating. I finally gave up and bought the Honda OEM hose and I had zero problems installing it outside of the entire assembly being routed all over the place...just a bad design.

And then a little over five months ago I had to replace the starter...an easy job.

Other than replacing the original radiator immediately after I bought it(due to reading the horror stories) , replacing the TB/WP at the 125K mark and replacing the brake rotors and pads three years ago I haven't had any big catastrophic cash outlays in regards to service.

BTW, I've been using Valvoline's MaxLife ATF since I bought it....do a triple drain and fill every 15-20K miles...great stuff and it's much cheaper(currently $17.89/gal at WalMart) than Honda's DW1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an '03 "I think it was called the Gold Edition by the Dealer", bought from mother in law with 80k on it. Drove it until a few weeks ago, turned it over to my daughter who needs reliable vehicle for high school. 265,000. Eats a quart of oil every month and a half. A few sensors are throwing codes, but there aren't any problems, just the sensors. To replace them costs more than the vehicle. Loved that car. I had a 2003 honda pilot i had from my sister in law and threw the tranny about 8 years ago and had it replaced. They used it to tow a big boat so no wonder the tranny had issues. I sold it, had a 2011 Mercury Mariner for six months, way too small. Bought a 2011 Honda pilot EX-L in 2012, owned it for a few months, mother in law had her touring at 80K, so cut costs sold the '11 and stayed with the '03 until recently. I wish they quality they had with the '03 was brought forward to the 2nd gen pilots. Overall i love the '13 EX-L and it has 135,000k on it. I hope i get another 100k out of it like i did my '03.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2006 Pilot Exl that I absolutely love. She’s currently got 259,000 miles with original motor and tranny. Have had no issues with her besides the normal routine maintenances.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm the original owner of an 05 EXL with 337,000. Almost everything is original except shocks\struts, starter, alternator, pre-cats, and (of course) timing belt water pump and plugs. Getting ready to preemptively replace axles and control arm bushings

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Pilot EXL at 210,000....the usual stuff, water pump and timing belt at 100,000 and 200,000. Did replace cams at 200,000 as they were worn and would not allow cam adjustment. That's been the only "issue". Other than that it has been bulletproof, never leaked a drop of any fluid...and thanks to this forum for the thread on replacing bulbs in climate control module! Here's to another 100k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We're getting close. 193K on my wife's 2007 EX-L. No major issues, and original motor and gearbox. We drove it off the lot in 2007 with 1000 miles on it as it was a manager's demo. Looking forward to that pricey timing belt change at 200K. :-D We love the vehicle and it will probably be a hand-me-down to one of our kids as their first vehicle. At 200K, it's just getting broken in! I drove a 1988 Honda Civic to 307K.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
We're getting close. 193K on my wife's 2007 EX-L.
Don't jinx it by posting here until you actually cross the 200k threshold! :eek:

Seriously, wishing you many more happy miles. If you take good care of these vehicles, they can last a good long time.

Vehicles being produced these days, with all the questionably useful electronic gadgetry, the proliferation of plastic parts, and negligible fuel-saving measures? Who knows?

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EXL
120 Posts
I'm the original owner of an 05 EXL with 337,000. Almost everything is original except shocks\struts, starter, alternator, pre-cats, and (of course) timing belt water pump and plugs. Getting ready to preemptively replace axles and control arm bushings
What about radiator? I have same pilot but lost atf at radiator connection at 213k. Have 216k on now Look up pink milk shake for reasons to replace radiator

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L-Nav
2 Posts
Have a 2006 Pilot EX-L w/Navi, Love this vehicle at 209K but maybe should have sold it at 180K due to the cost of maintenance doubling (which includes the 200K Major maintenance including Timing belt, Spark plugs and water pump, etc) New Pilots just don't seem as "solid" as my old 2006 workhorse so not sure I would stay with them going forward. Only regret is trying to update this vehicle with some LED parking lights which looked awesome for a few weeks until they died and blew out my tail lights and dash lights when I tried to replace them. Just found many posts with Piloteers that made the same mistake as me and went back to the old fashioned bulbs that just work. I'll check back in once I hit 300K.. if the (Michigan Salt) Rust does not kill this baby first.

581 - 600 of 621 Posts