Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

541 - 560 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
03 pilot lx 4wd 319,076 original engine and tranny. Just drove it on a day trip from mansfield ohio to terra haute indiana and back no problem, the tranny does shift slightly hard but im used to driving manual hondas so it could be normal

·
Registered
16 Posts
04 pilot EX 4WD. 280,000 miles. Engine is original but transmission was rebuilt at around 200,000. The transmission issue was a bad case causing the transmission to loose pressure. Luckily I did not have to buy new cases. There is a place that repairs them apparently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2005 with 215,000 on original engine and transmission. First and second owner didn’t pull anything with it. (No trailer hitch) First owner did great maintenance. Second did poor maintenance. I received it at 197,000 miles and I now have 215,000. I have caught everything back up on maintenance (timing belt) and made improvements. I plan on keeping this for at least 215,000 more miles so if anyone has info help in this I will be thankful for example these 3.5 engines have a hydraulic timing belt tensioner that prematurely fails and is unpredictable so if a solution to this is available then please speak up. Thanks

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
so if anyone has info help in this I will be thankful for example these 3.5 engines have a hydraulic timing belt tensioner that prematurely fails and is unpredictable so if a solution to this is available then please speak up. Thanks
Avoid Gates kit; go with Aisin kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Avoid Gates kit; go with Aisin kit.
I installed the Aisin timing belt kit with water pump. Lasted 7000 miles until the hydraulic tensioner leaked/failed and the new timing belt broke. I went to Napa and bought the Gates belt and hydraulic tensioner and installed it myself. I figured if the Aisin failed then I’ll try Gates at Napa. Only been 500 miles so far so we will see. I seen a YouTube video with a guy that had a spring loaded tensioner but haven’t found any info on cross reference to my 05 3.5 Pilot yet.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I installed the Aisin timing belt kit with water pump. Lasted 7000 miles until the hydraulic tensioner leaked/failed and the new timing belt broke.
That really doesn't seem right. With all due respect, how can you be sure it was installed properly? It can be a tricky job, even for some mechanics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That really doesn't seem right. With all due respect, how can you be sure it was installed properly? It can be a tricky job, even for some mechanics.
I can’t be sure other than he is a certified mechanic who works at a dealership and does side work for extra $. I have theories that include old stock, improper install of the belt as in making sure the non tensioner side was installed first without slack so tensioner side pin can be pulled to take up slack.Also when I took it apart I noticed that I only had half of the rubber seal that goes in between the lower cover and the upper two covers so if the rubber seal pinched inward when he put it back together then it could have fallen into and in between the belt and crank sprocket and caused it to break. It did have rubber dust inside the cover. Theories but I can’t say 100% for sure that’s why I did it myself this time. I still would prefer a spring loaded vs hydraulic tensioner if it is safe to do so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can’t be sure other than he is a certified mechanic who works at a dealership and does side work for extra $. I have theories that include old stock, improper install of the belt as in making sure the non tensioner side was installed first without slack so tensioner side pin can be pulled to take up slack.Also when I took it apart I noticed that I only had half of the rubber seal that goes in between the lower cover and the upper two covers so if the rubber seal pinched inward when he put it back together then it could have fallen into and in between the belt and crank sprocket and caused it to break. It did have rubber dust inside the cover. Theories but I can’t say 100% for sure that’s why I did it myself this time. I still would prefer a spring loaded vs hydraulic tensioner if it is safe to do so.
Update on for info on a spring loaded vs hydraulic timing belt tensioner. The YouTube video is BundysGarage. I still haven’t found out what Honda model 3.5 engine application this spring loaded tensioner is from or if it is a usable crossover part so beware of that at least until I can update the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just hit 200K on my 2003 Pilot last week. Only brake and suspension work, timing belt replacement, nothing out of ordinary maintenance. Two kinds learned to drive on it. It still does not burn any oil and runs like a champ. A virtually indestructible vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on for info on a spring loaded vs hydraulic timing belt tensioner. The YouTube video is BundysGarage. I still haven’t found out what Honda model 3.5 engine application this spring loaded tensioner is from or if it is a usable crossover part so beware of that at least until I can update the info.
Another update on the Hydraulic tensioner on the 03-08 pilots. As I said I had a hydraulic tensioner fail after only 7000 miles and have read about many of these failing prematurely. I found the model and year of the Honda with the SPRING tensioner. It is a 2000 Honda Accord. O’Reilly auto parts has it and the part number for the Hates brand is :T43198 $112 and a Dorman: 420-100 $73. Please note that I have not verified the fit over to our Honda Pilots so if you try it it is at you own risk. I WILL be doing this within one month and I will update for anyone who is interested. If it works like the guy on the YouTube said then it will put a stop to the premature failure on the hydraulic tensioner that always leaks and fails. Till then...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
the part number for the Hates brand is :T43198 $112 and a Dorman: 420-100 $73. Please note that I have not verified the fit over to our Honda Pilots so if you try it it is at you own risk. I WILL be doing this within one month and I will update for anyone who is interested.
Interesting. Keep us posted. We would Hates for it not to work. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting. Keep us posted. We would Hates for it not to work. :)

Nice! $31 bucks ! I knew there were cheaper options out there but just hadn’t got around to checking. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
218000 on our 2005 Pilot. Original Engine and transmission. Just normal maintenance except for a radiator replacement at 100,000. Luckily that was caught by the dealer before we got the dreaded radiator fluid in the transmission problem. Have a few rust bubbles by the rear window wiper but thats it. Just bought the wife a 2016 CRV and I took over the Pilot. Modernized it a little bit with an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth so I can do hands free calling now. Hope to see 300,000 in this car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
218000 on our 2005 Pilot. Original Engine and transmission. Just normal maintenance except for a radiator replacement at 100,000. Luckily that was caught by the dealer before we got the dreaded radiator fluid in the transmission problem. Have a few rust bubbles by the rear window wiper but thats it. Just bought the wife a 2016 CRV and I took over the Pilot. Modernized it a little bit with an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth so I can do hands free calling now. Hope to see 300,000 in this car.
Be careful on that CRV. They have had some major problems of gas mixing into the oil and destroying the engine . I don’t remember the years that are affected but you can goggle it or go on YouTube and look for it. Not trying to scare ya. Just want to make sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be careful on that CRV. They have had some major problems of gas mixing into the oil and destroying the engine . I don’t remember the years that are affected but you can goggle it or go on YouTube and look for it. Not trying to scare ya. Just want to make sure.
Yeah that was happening to the 1.8 turbo's in the newer models. Ours just hast the trusty 2.4 no turbo.

Joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
~213,000 miles on our 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L. Most recent issue is AWD doesn't appear to be working, the front wheels simply slip even in light snow and I can't manually engage VTM-4 with the dash button in 1, 2 or R. The VTM-4, VSA, and ABS dash lights came on a few months ago and have remained on. I jumped pins 4 and 9 on the OBDII port for the Honda blinking dash diagnostic codes but can't figure out how to read them. Does anyone know? Here is the video:

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Post if you have 200k miles on you pilot and no issues, original engine and tranny!
2005 Pilot Exl bought new . 234k Ive replaced the starter and a cooling fan motor. Just regular maintenance otherwise. I neglected to change the timing belt at 213k and paid dearly when it shredded. So everyone be sure you change your timing belt at the recommended mileage.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
2005 Pilot Exl bought new . 234k Ive replaced the starter and a cooling fan motor. Just regular maintenance otherwise. I neglected to change the timing belt at 213k and paid dearly when it shredded. So everyone be sure you change your timing belt at the recommended mileage.
Add your cautionary tale to this thread:

541 - 560 of 563 Posts