Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

521 - 540 of 562 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Pilot EX, 218000 and running like the day I bought it in 2005 from my brother, with 38k on it.....I have a few LEDs out in the AC control panel, but since I've driven it for 14 years now, I know where the buttons are in the dark....LOL....been one the best vehicles I've ever owned....a year into owning it, I had to replace a transmission speed servo ( or something like that...Long time ago...LOL)....I wish I could buy another one EXACTLY like this one, but brand new....I love the body style, the ergonomics inside, the seats (all of them)....just love this thing....hope to go over 300k and beyond....I do my own oil changes every 5k.....been that way since I bought it in 05.....have used everything from TropArtic oil, to STP Synthetic, to Quaker State Synthetic....nothing really fancy or high dollar, just change it religiously every 5k.....tranny services every 50k.....brake fluid changed every 3 years....never had any work on the front end or the had it aligned....and it still drives straight down the road, every day!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2003 Pilot EX 324K miles original transmission and motor. I follow the maintenance manual and change the oil regularly. Still runs and drives great. Only thing outside regular maintenance replaced, Front struts, steering rack and 2 front axle assemblies. I change the brake pads (4 times) and 5 sets of tires. I'm the only owner and the majority of the mileage has been highway at 75 - 85. Can't complain going to see how much I get out of this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Honda Pilot 2004 with 194k. Engine is pretty good if you do your oil and change on time. Transmission is good. I bought it when it was 183k. Mine sometimes act little weard on the transmission but is running fine. It just on some moments lose when I do transmission oil change every 40k on all my cars. But on Hondas you can miss that, those automatic transmission need more maintenance that other cars. On Manuals not too much. So I did it when I go i I used to have a hard starting problems, which I thought it was the spark plugs or coils. Installed a old ECU but the problem persist. I changed the fuel pump and still gave me this issue, so I finish replacing the entire assembly kit inside the tank where the fuel pump goes and after that its start very well at the first crank. One of the symptoms that the Pilot used to do is that I have to crank the start like three times to start when the car was hot. Crank but No start. When it was cold it used to start well at the first crank. Inside the kit there is a filter that was clogged. Honda always says that there's no fuel filter on this truck, but there is one inside the tank inside the kit and is not the strainer. The strainer is after the Fuel Pump, but inside the kit assembly is also another one. Is like a paper filter. This Pilot have this issue and is most of the time this is your problem. If you change the pump, but not the assembly kit with a dirty filter, it might still bring low pressure to your injectors if the filter is clogged. In my case I was getting around 10psi and when replaced the assembly start getting around 45-60psi which is the correct pressure. So do it right the first time and replace the entire kit. It cost me like $85.00 in Autozone with the Filter Delphi already in.
Thanks for the Heads Up!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Post if you have 200k miles on you pilot and no issues, original engine and tranny!
Just bought 07 Pilot with 186,500.Mechanic did brake all around and lower control arms, and got it to pass emissions here in NY. Just drove it 600 miles to Adirondacks and back. Car took it like a trip to the Deli for a 6-pack. Nice car. Best I've ever owned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2006 pilot 4wd 317,125 Miles original motor and trans
Wow, nice!

Mine is a 2007 we bought new, we have 255k on it. we've had a few AC problems, rear wheel bearing, front struts, several brake jobs. No major engine or tranny problems. Maybe needs an alternator now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a 2007 EX-L 4WD with 223,000. I lost it three weeks ago when an Amazon tractor trailer ran into me on the highway. I was aiming for 300k. Just replaced timing belt and water pump a few months ago because this is (was) the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned. Original engine and tranny. Alternator is the only other significant repair I can remember. Everything was still working fine. Replaced it with a 2015 EX-L with 90k that I hope will be just as reliable.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Another reason to begrudge Amazon. Hopefully you and whoever was with you are relatively unscathed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I owned a 2004 pilot awd for over 11 years and it died at 247k miles when I failed to notice my coolant was gone and drove it to near-seizing. Like losing an old pet....I hit a deer with it, nearly totalled it learning about texting and driving, tore the whole front end off backing out of my brother's driveway, but it always kept on keeping on.

If I were to buy a new to me used one, what is the best year to get now?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
The GOOD
2007 Honda Pilot EXL w/ DVD
- 219K+ miles - Original engine & transmission... within the past year: new timing belt, water pump kit @ 202K
Regular maintenance - oil changes @ Honda dealer on schedule, new tires & new brakes as needed... paint & body still in great shape for its age... leather seats have held up well with only a small tear along the seam on drivers seat. Headliner just started sagging a little bit in the far back, but not very noticeable.
The BAD
Last week the temperature gauge shot up at 65mph on the freeway... I got off the road as quickly as I could... When I stopped, smoke started coming from under hood. I immediately turned it off. There was green liquid sprayed all under the hood. I called for a tow. Tow truck driver said "Looks like you blew a hose." Repair shop said the engine got too hot & it is blown. :mad: I was shooting for 300K!!!

I am not looking forward to buying another vehicle... I really like not having a car note!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I owned a 2004 pilot awd for over 11 years and it died at 247k miles when I failed to notice my coolant was gone and drove it to near-seizing. Like losing an old pet....I hit a deer with it, nearly totalled it learning about texting and driving, tore the whole front end off backing out of my brother's driveway, but it always kept on keeping on.

If I were to buy a new to me used one, what is the best year to get now?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
I still think the best years are 2006 to 2008. If you can find a clean, well maintained lower mileage one, it'll last for many years. I found a 2006 EX with only 125K and a good service history for $5,000. It still runs like new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 04 Honda pilot bought in 08 with 73,000 now has 208,000. I changed timing belt and new radiator at 190,000 only cause had small leak. I got code po740 a few months ago and seemed to be driving ok then started slipping intermittently so I parked it thinking tranny was going out so went an bought 2011 Pilot, well tranny started acting up in it except it also threw a battery light so replaced alternator and runs great. Decided to change alternator in the 04 even though it was testing ok and lo and behold my engine light hasn't returned and I drove it over and over hard trying to get transmission to slip but it is running awesome. Besides fluid changes and normal maintenance I replaced 1 coil, and 1 02 sensor which I think now was also triggered by the alternator having bad diode. Before parking the pilot I did change tranny fluid x3 like recommended but made no difference. I parked newer Pilot in garage and driving 04 to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

521 - 540 of 562 Posts