Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

501 - 520 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
2005 EX-L Silver. 240,800 miles. Original owner. Original engine and transmission. Regular maintenance and repairs mostly all done by me. Best vehicle I have ever owned. It is moving to it's next owner tomorrow. Sad to say goodbye. I hope it treats them as well as it has treated me.

Thanks so much to the contributors on this forum. It is absolutely incredible to see how much knowledge is available. Most of the work I have done started here with a search and watching videos on YouTube.

Thanks again to everyone. See you later!

·
Registered
1 Posts
so there are no pilots with 200,000 yet?
I have just purchased an o3 with 235,000.unfortunately less than a week later had to put a new tranny in it and today,after it was in shop for 2 weeks,it is once again dead with an electrical problem of some kind.I know,buyer beware.I did research,Carfax and the test drive was perfect. Really like the beast otherwise,but apparently I'm going to be doing "nursing home "duty! Trying to be positive lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just took possession of my wife's '04 AWD LX. No issues at 248,341 miles. Regular maintenance, Mobil1 and Wix filters. Just put a new set of shoes on (Firestone Destination A/T).

I'm trying to refresh it and "make it mine". So far, it's going well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2004 Honda Pilot that has 213,000 on it, although I just bought last weekend. Had a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan that had been totaled before I bought it and had a rebuilt title when I bought it with 8,000 miles. I was in sales and sold it in 2013, it had 293,000 miles on it when I sold it. I've had 4 Honda motorcycles. My current motorcycle is a 1992 Honda Goldwing, although it only has 88,000 miles on it, I rode it recently from Indianapolis, Indiana to Durango, Colorado and back, with no issues except a valve stem was leaking. I've heard of Honda Goldwing motorcycles with 400,000 - 500,000 miles on them. I expect to get another 300,000 miles from my Honda Pilot or at least think it is possible. Most of my cars had around 200,000 miles on them, when I sold them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Honda Pilot 2004 with 194k. Engine is pretty good if you do your oil and change on time. Transmission is good. I bought it when it was 183k. Mine sometimes act little weard on the transmission but is running fine. It just on some moments lose when I do transmission oil change every 40k on all my cars. But on Hondas you can miss that, those automatic transmission need more maintenance that other cars. On Manuals not too much. So I did it when I go i I used to have a hard starting problems, which I thought it was the spark plugs or coils. Installed a old ECU but the problem persist. I changed the fuel pump and still gave me this issue, so I finish replacing the entire assembly kit inside the tank where the fuel pump goes and after that its start very well at the first crank. One of the symptoms that the Pilot used to do is that I have to crank the start like three times to start when the car was hot. Crank but No start. When it was cold it used to start well at the first crank. Inside the kit there is a filter that was clogged. Honda always says that there's no fuel filter on this truck, but there is one inside the tank inside the kit and is not the strainer. The strainer is after the Fuel Pump, but inside the kit assembly is also another one. Is like a paper filter. This Pilot have this issue and is most of the time this is your problem. If you change the pump, but not the assembly kit with a dirty filter, it might still bring low pressure to your injectors if the filter is clogged. In my case I was getting around 10psi and when replaced the assembly start getting around 45-60psi which is the correct pressure. So do it right the first time and replace the entire kit. It cost me like $85.00 in Autozone with the Filter Delphi already in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have 206k miles on our 2007 LX, crossed 200k in June. All stock, mostly original - other than usual wear items. New alternator this summer. Starting to see rust at wheel wells, edges of doors, and rear hatch. Otherwise all is good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Post if you have 200k miles on you pilot and no issues, original engine and tranny!
I have 232K miles on my 2005 pilot. I have had absolutely no issues, except one. I've done regular maintenance, replaced the control arm bushings, and struts. I added the transmission cooler. I also replaced the front right fender. Someone who drives my car regularly seems to have a problem in parking garages. That would be me. But, no moving accidents. But, my one issue was a broken timing belt that happened at 195K miles. I had an independent do the 105K maintenance that included changing the timing belt. I expected to have the same maintenance done at 210K. Cost me $3,200 to fix the broken valves, etc, and included what would have been $1,800 for the major maintenance. The vehicle runs like a top. I expect to run it to 300K just cause I can and may be longer. If the transmission goes, I will think hard about whether to fix it. Probably won't. All the new safety features on new cars will look a lot more compelling than fixing a transmission on a really old vehicle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Post if you have 200k miles on you pilot and no issues, original engine and tranny!
I have almost 260,000 on it and am sure that the original engine would have made it but the previous owner burnt the engine out when he ran the radiator dry and kept on driving without realizing what was happening. The engine and transmission were replaced while still together with 120,000 less miles than the rest of the Pilot. I have had no other major issues except replacing the shocks and struts two years ago and one of my spark plugs backing out and dropping into the engine trashing one of my coils.

·
Registered
5 Posts
04 with 238k. Only after finding out that someone rolled back the miles on it and the Stealership not mentioning anything to my wife or her father.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
04 with 238k. Only after finding out that someone rolled back the miles on it and the Stealership not mentioning anything to my wife or her father.
What was it that gave it away? This or something else? Man, that's evil. Any recourse?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 Pilot just clicked 200K. I have done all oil changes when needed. Transmission fluid changed twice. Timing belt and water pump done. New rotors and brakes. All engine and transmission mounts recently done and sway bars. I replaced some original some premium rock auto . I heard whining noise and changed the power steering o ring, noise went away, but it's come back 2 months later. Any ideas? Is my power steering pump going out? I am a big preventative maintenance person. Wondering what I should prepare myself for and would appreciate feedback. I am about to install Michelin defender LTX and the costco website says that 235/70/16 are not compatible even though load and speed rating is 109T and the recommendations in Honda manual is 104S. Can someone confirm if I can get these tires asap as they are on sale? I want to keep,this car for at least 2 yrs to give to son when he turns 16. I intend on getting a paint job in Destryer Gray for him. Love this Honda. Thx in advance. This mom needs some guidance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 pilot ex-l DVD package with 217000 miles and i love it. Its got a rack and a k&n air filter i got brand new for 2$ at a thrift store😂. i just wish it was awd or rwd. always maintained it well have put all the miles on it myself. had to replace the radiator there was a hole in it somehow. About to put a 1000watt amp and a 12 inch sub in the back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2003 Pilot EX has just over 228,000 Miles on it. I have owned it since new. It still runs well and goes on long distance trips easily. Maintenance and repairs have been average with the exception of a catastrophic transmission failure at 105,000 miles. Got the best available rebuilt tranny with a 3 yr/100K mile warranty.
Have had classic Honda failures like door lock actuators, spontaneous car alarm sounding, rear heater/ac resistor, rear VTM noises. They were PITAs but none, except the transmission, were very expensive to fix. Did many small repairs myself. Quit going to dealership for service/repair at 90,000 miles, after a couple of mis-diagnoses.
Been a great car all in all.
My theory for vehicle longevity:
1. Mobil 1 5W20 motor oil & filter changes at 7,500-10,000 mi.
2. Change transmission fluid and rear VTM fluid ANNUALLY.
3. Good Brand Synthetic trans fluid.
4. Change all filters and consumable parts as needed
5. Generally follow recommended maintenance schedule.
6. Know a good independent mechanic who likes your car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2008 EXL with226550 miles as of today.
Fourth set of tires, third set of brakes with new rotors last change.
Just replaced H2O pump and timing/accessory belts last week
Third set of plugs, third radiator.
Also replaced all fluids yesterday.
4 qt. ATF drop/fill every 25k miles, synthetic oil since new, only chassis issue was a bad inner tie rod end on RT side at 180k miles.
I tow a 1000 lb small trailer at high speeds and added trans and steering fluid coolers (factory Honda) and never a problem.
Got it all cleaned up last week for another 100k miles!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2006 Honda Pilot with 273,000 miles on it and climbing. I am the second owner. I bought it with 28,000 miles on it. I changed the timing belt at about 70,000 then at 157,000 and finally at 272,000. I get my oil changed at 7,000 mile intervals and my transmission fluid at 60,000 mile intervals. I replaced all the front end steering and suspension parts at 200,000 mostly due to the mileage (some were well worn and others were fine) as I wanted to drive the vehicle another 200,000. At 172,000 the power steering ram started leaking and I had it replaced.

At 180,000 my Pilot developed a vibration that, for a while I could not locate the source. New tires did not eradicate it, and this prompted me to change all the wheel bearings, axles, control arms, struts, etc. Still had the vibration. After youtubing and googling the problem, I came up with the valves needed adjusting. At 265,000 I adjusted the valves. This made the most difference, but I am not perfect. So at 272,000 when I replaced the timing belt, I re-adjusted the valves. My engine now runs very smooth, no more vibration. I will adjust the valves one more time to get them perfect. I have one tappet ticking slightly. I changed the serpentine belt tensioner and replaced the power steering pump and fluid. My engine now runs much quieter and smoother.

When I first got my Pilot, my gas mileage was a solid 23 to 24. It is now, at 272,000 + and my gas mileage is a solid 20 to 21. Engine is still strong. I bought another used engine and transmission with about 60,000 miles with the intent of doing an engine and tranny swap when the time comes. I have had the spare engine and tranny sitting for over a year now and expect that it may be another 5 or so years before I have to do the swap. I expect to get 400,000 miles out of the original engine and transmission.

This is the most durable, longest lasting vehicle I have owned.
Update 9/25/19..... Just turned 306,000. Pilot is running fine.

501 - 520 of 542 Posts