Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

321 - 333 of 333 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
2012 Touring has 104k. New tires today and timing belt scheduled.

We're gifting it to our daughter next month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Ex-L 2wd. 134k
Had the engine timing belt, valves, water pump, etc done at 100k,
One transmission sensor failed @102k but caught it immediately and avoided a full transmission failure.
Nothing else major.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a 2009 Pilot with 107K. Timing belt, adjuster, water pump and all fluids replaced at 80K by dealer.
I had an 1988 Accord with 248K on when I sold it and a 1993 Accord with 214K when sold.
Hoping to put 100K on the Pilot. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
120,000+
(Who looks at that thing)
You need to look at the mileage even though the maintenance computer has indicators for just about everything except tire rotation and brake wear. Old car technology used to rely on mileage for oil changes but that was always a poor indicator since it doesn't count oil life when the engine is running but the car or truck is not moving. All that time in traffic, waiting for someone shopping or dropping off and picking up the kids at school was never counted. For the minority of car owners that actually looked at the oil dip stick for oil level and when the oil turned black, they would change the ol in time. Now with synthetic oils that are dark or those with graphite are black when new. The new computer systems are so much better. 2010 Pilot Owner's manual page 455 "oil life is calculated by engine operating conditions and revolutions". It will show you the oil life and give you an accurate percent life and a service wrench symbol if you get down to 5%. Miles is a good thing to pay attention to financially plan for repairs like the timing belt at 080,000 miles or brake pads before they start squeeking from the metal wear bar touching and ruining the disc because you have no pads left. Tire rotation before the front tires edges are shot from turning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2011 Ex-L 2wd. 134k
Had the engine timing belt, valves, water pump, etc done at 100k,
One transmission sensor failed @102k but caught it immediately and avoided a full transmission failure.
Nothing else major.
Bought my 2010 EX-l Pilot with 96,000, the water pump had been changed, battery changed, the idle pulley changed again for free to a better quality one by the dealer. No real problems over the last year. Had the typical Honda ghost erros like blinking "D" in drive and Engine light on for no reason. Re-tightened the gas cap, the next day the blinking "D" was gone then the 2 day the engine light went off. Had the VTM and VSA error on within a month of getting the car.even though there were no transmission problems. I did some routine checks like the spark plugs and found # 1 had a gap of only .027" and got fouled. Spark plugs make for the factory are gapped at .044" but from Auto Parts store the same plug comes with a gap of .042" to cover more cars. Obviously a mechanic at one time dropped the plug and bent the end of the plug. Fixing the engine to run better somehow made the transmission stability and VTM tranny error go away. Also noted that if you clean the air filter and forget to plug in the connector you get the same 2 transmission errors! The gas mileage dropped from 22 to 15.7. Since I know that most gasolines don't have additives to lubricate the fuel injectors. The additives are not regulated just the octang. Mobile supreme will clean and senors and lubricate fuel injectors at a high cost. I elected to use what most dealers and mechanics use, Lucas Gas treatment at only $9 per quart where you put in 3 ounces every couple gas fill ups especially with the winter blends. The mileage went right back to 22 with one person in the car and 19.5 with 2 people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup, I'm nearing 100k miles. Probably hit it on my way home from work. The Pilot still runs like a new car. I'm proud to say with 100k miles I've only had one problem requiring a trip to the dealership. At 80k the driver's power window motor went out. Other then that, this things just keeps on going and going and going. I just recently had a new set of tires put on and new brakes.

Now everytime I bring it to the dealer for a regular oil change they keep trying to sell me all other sorts of preventative services. What general preventative maintenance would you reccomend so I can keep this rig running for another 100k? On the flipside what things would you just leave alone and let the thing break down before doing anything?
Well that’s a nice milestone. I have 383,000 on my 2012 EX-L 4WD. Other than normal maintenance (oil, trans fluid, brakes tires and battery) all I’ve had to do was catalytic converters, starter & alternator. Everything else is original. Maintenance is the key to long life. Synthetic oil every 10,000 miles, change transmission fluid every 100,000, timing belt with water pump every 100,000 & your Pilot should treat you to a long ride. Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just turned 199.000 miles on my 2011 AWD EX-L. The only problems were at 124,000 new rear shocks (self-installed); 180,000 A/C Evaporator ~$900 repair (repair shop); 184,000-mile Alternator ~$1.000 (repair shop), on my 3rd pair of brake pads. The rear A/C fan stopped working, but don't use it anyway. On the second timing belt and will need to be changed at 205,000miles. I use Mobil One Synthetic about every 7,500 miles, and tranny changed ever 100,000 miles. Have changed rear diff fluid only once.
Will probably be trading it in on a new Honda Passport soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just about to hit 120,000 in 2010 AWD EX-L. Maintenance done as prescribed with few exceptions including the whole gamut with timing belt, water pump, etc at 100k-ish. Have changed brake pads and rotors, compliance bushings were replaced early, one battery a few years back with the polar vortex, getting ready for new Cooper Discoverer A/T S and Bilsteins all around. Have a few other things that will come up as kids and I use it more for a little more off paved road camping/fishing. Hoping to get at least 5 more years and possibly use it as the learning car for son and let him run it to the ground.

·
Registered
17 Posts
260,000kms on 2010 Touring
Was in accident and written off.

Never any major repairs. Also parked outside 100% of the time.
Did tires and brakes as required
Mobil1 from day one
Timing belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, plugs, coolent and water pump at 198kms
2.5 sets of tires.

However after 10 years and 160,000 miles here is what needed to be done
Compliance bushings started cracking and knocking
Struts or shocks (original)
Engine was suffering from ticking, valve adjustment needed again?
It started to burn oil 1 litre for every 5,000 km
Door armrest panels and inner armrest the fake leather started peeling off.
AC was not good as new but still worked
Mirror memory settings screwed up every time you unlocked the car
Rear backup camera stopped working
Transmission wiring to gear 2 sensor once a year would throw a CEL. P0402
GPS issue or DVD was dirty would cause the GPS to not display.
Tiny bit of rear wheel well rust starting
Rear backup sensor just occasionally started to detect something that was not there.
Sometimes there was as a rumple sound that came from under truck at 80kph at 2700rpm. 60,000km onward.
Starter bearing or bushing occasionally made noise when starting. Started at 120k onwards. Just ignored it.
On cold days occasionally the vaccum pump on brake boster was not working properly. No brake boost for the first time you step on the brakes.
Dead battery once due to AC relay being stock on. $5 fix for new relay.
Gasket between flex pipe and Cat pipe wore out and needed replacement. $10 part @ 220k
Gasket between rear manifold and flex pipe wore out ...$10 part $190 labor @ 230k

That's it. All small stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought my 07 with 96,000 miles in Aug/18. Now has 108,000 and so far had the serpentine belt replaced with water pump. Could hear a slight whine after that. Next up should be coolant and thermostat. I plan on doing that myself, along with horses for that. Had done brakes. Plan on having the front end checked before getting new tires, but tires still have some life. Then maybe a mod or two, but really want to make sure to not overlook any up and coming maintenance I should do so that I can look ahead to another milestone safely and with little expense. (fingers crossed).

I plan on upgrading sound system too, and hopefully upgrade the NAV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
'07 EXL w/navi 130k - bought in '13 w/83k & "perfect" carfax - done all maint. since as per maint.- minder - has a "slack" in drive train (see post) - axles ?

321 - 333 of 333 Posts