Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a first car for college bound daughter. The search will be very serious in the summer.
I am a proud owner of a 2004 Pilot exl (250K and still going strong...minor rust on rear wheel wells..) and my
son found a 2008 Pilot exl with 135K on it a few years ago. He is in college and the car does everything it should with no problems!!!
It is hard to find them, years 04-08, in good shape and with "clean" maintenance records, CarFax, etc....
I really would like to find a Pilot with Navi. and that's near impossible in the 04-08 years so I'm considering going to a later model (09-11?).
Also, trying to keep the $$ relatively low too. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of the looks but I want more updated technology for her in this car.
I'm really concerned about the issues I have read about the VCM engine. (the older V6s, like mine and my son's, seem bullet proof).
It just seems that I may have more selection to choose from in these years.

Any comments?
thanks

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
For used, 2015 back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
To each their own, but why focus on the Navi trim? Maybe i'm missing something here, but If you are looking for an updated dash tech couldn't you just purchase one used or an aftermarket one and install it? That's about 100-300 bucks and your time. If you are looking for a 15 year old car, I'd get the one that was the cleanest and in the best condition (in your price range) and then later add the features you want. You'll also have way more options to look at.

Also as an option...I know nothing about their durability or what-not...but there's also the Acura MDX which is the Pilot's sister vehicle. Many of those should have navigation and better trims.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Right, if you're looking for updated technology, skip the Navi that with each passing year feels more like Win95, and get the model year you want plus a GTA Car Kit with her phone (assuming a teenage girl has a phone :)) Then she can use Google Maps and Waze hands-free. Those are updated in real time.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I'm looking at the reliability standpoint. Less bells and whistles less troubles.
LX

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,335 Posts
Big question For papa bear looking to do the right thin. I've seen too many parents send their kid off with a car in poor condition.

Both my kids went to college with my 2005. One needed the space, the other packed light and didn't. Don't shoot me but consider the CRV. if you go the V route, you don't need to worry about VCM. Mpg is better, maintenance cheaper, and there is less ability to be the road trip bus...and all the liability that creates. Ability to swap out the stereo for something with CarPlay etc much easier. At my kids college, most came with Corolla, civic etc type cars. You'd also get a younger lower miles vehicle.

i always worried about the car when it was there. Also had to go get it once when it was misbehaving.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,593 Posts
2008 EX-L with AWD or the newest, lowest mileage Pilot you can afford. A good service history is ideal, no accidents.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Don't shoot me but consider the CRV.
I owned 2 of these. Loved everything about the vehicle except that it felt underpowered. It accelerated like a turtle. Otherwise I'd likely still own one.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I owned 2 of these. Loved everything about the vehicle except that it felt underpowered. It accelerated like a turtle. Otherwise I'd likely still own one.
Before my son damaged my ‘05 CRV (dukes of hazard leap) it was my DD and I was able to make some comparisons of the RT4WD vs VTM-4 in snow and mpg. Both systems were quite seamless but the bigger heavier Pilot dived into snow drifts where the lighter CRV seemed to float onto the snow and ice. Mpg was 16-19 vs 19-24.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does your college bound daughter really need a car?
I guess I should have been little more descriptive.

She will be working in an agricultural/farm program that requires a car. My '04 Pilot can fit anything and everything so that's why I'm considering the Pilot.
Also, my experience with '04-08 models (with the older V6 engine) has been great. I've heard and read that the '09-'11 model years with the VCM engine is ok but
has some issues.
I just want a "worry free" car and I know that's a tough one to find but that's why I always come back to the Pilot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To each their own, but why focus on the Navi trim? Maybe i'm missing something here, but If you are looking for an updated dash tech couldn't you just purchase one used or an aftermarket one and install it? That's about 100-300 bucks and your time. If you are looking for a 15 year old car, I'd get the one that was the cleanest and in the best condition (in your price range) and then later add the features you want. You'll also have way more options to look at.

Also as an option...I know nothing about their durability or what-not...but there's also the Acura MDX which is the Pilot's sister vehicle. Many of those should have navigation and better trims.
Thanks for the advice, my wife has '13 Mdx and looking for an earlier model version is possible BUT I've heard of oil consumption issues with those models. In fact, ours had that issue and luckily they covered the fix. I would consider the Mdx

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Before my son damaged my ‘05 CRV (dukes of hazard leap) it was my DD and I was able to make some comparisons of the RT4WD vs VTM-4 in snow and mpg. Both systems were quite seamless but the bigger heavier Pilot dived into snow drifts where the lighter CRV seemed to float onto the snow and ice. Mpg was 16-19 vs 19-24.
My biggest complaint was acceleration. Pulling out on a highway access road with traffic flying by. Trying to pick the right moment while driving a turtle was no fun.
😣

Reactions: aggrex

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,335 Posts
I get the CRV floating on snow whereas the Pilot was always the elephant going down through snow. A CRV took my DD over when the Pilot went to college. It’s never going to be quick, but it does the job and has impressed me.
But I do miss the Pilot’s elbow room and comfortable seats.
so it’s going to be a farm truck. Heck, add a tow hitch as four way plug to it!

So let’s focus on first gen, AWD non VCM. that has me saying go look hard in the desert southwest of this country where cars don’t rust and get the best one possible. Fly and drive probably on a temporary tag. Give yourself at least thirty days to go through it mechanically so you can be confident that she’s in a good vehicle when she pulls out of the driveway..and you waive goodbye.....

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
If you’re willing to consider outside of the Honda family, a 4Runner, Highlander, or RAV4 might be worth looking into. With whatever vehicle you decide on, having it inspected pre-purchase by your mechanic will be a good first step in the buying process. Good luck finding an acceptable vehicle for your kiddo.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
there is less ability to be the road trip bus...and all the liability that creates.
There's a lot to be said about that. Remember your 18-year-old self and your bunch of "friends."

Before my son damaged my ‘05 CRV (dukes of hazard leap)
See?

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
121 Posts
Looking for a first car for college bound daughter. The search will be very serious in the summer.
I am a proud owner of a 2004 Pilot exl (250K and still going strong...minor rust on rear wheel wells..) and my
son found a 2008 Pilot exl with 135K on it a few years ago. He is in college and the car does everything it should with no problems!!!
It is hard to find them, years 04-08, in good shape and with "clean" maintenance records, CarFax, etc....
I really would like to find a Pilot with Navi. and that's near impossible in the 04-08 years so I'm considering going to a later model (09-11?).
Also, trying to keep the $$ relatively low too. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of the looks but I want more updated technology for her in this car.
I'm really concerned about the issues I have read about the VCM engine. (the older V6s, like mine and my son's, seem bullet proof).
It just seems that I may have more selection to choose from in these years.

Any comments?
thanks
Navi is a waste of time. Your cp does a way better job. Spend a few bux to get a bluetooth interface and you will have better music, cp interaction and nav.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts