Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I had an account on the site but can't seem to log in - darn it! This site helped greatly through the years with my 2007 Pilot.):frown:

Well, I traded in my 2007 Pilot LX yesterday for the 2016 EXL w/o RES. I was happy as can be as I had researched this for months and now have leather and remote start. My 12 year old boys immediately got in the back and were shocked to find no power outlets! EEK! It really never even crossed my mind that there wouldn't be power outlets of some kind for the second row at this trim level. (My 2007 had a power outlet at the 2nd and third row and we used a splitter with 2 USB ports and that worked great for years!)

Is there anyway to add USB ports to the bottom rear of the console? (I really don't want long wires threaded around the console/seats.)
Thank you so much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There should be a 12V power outlet at the tailgate. Put a dual USB adapter there and 3rd row is in business. I don't know how many amps you will get tho.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. I've done some reading and there is a good description with pictures about getting into the center console (post about moving the HDMI outlet on a Pilot with RES to add Roku within the console).

Next, there is a post about using an "add-a-circuit" (for an EXAMPLE see Amazon "Pico 0956PT 10 Amp ATM Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder") to attach a radar detector.

Now if I can figure out which fuse to use and how to run the wiring, I might be in business.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Okay. I've done some reading and there is a good description with pictures about getting into the center console (post about moving the HDMI outlet on a Pilot with RES to add Roku within the console).

Next, there is a post about using an "add-a-circuit" (for an EXAMPLE see Amazon "Pico 0956PT 10 Amp ATM Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder") to attach a radar detector.

Now if I can figure out which fuse to use and how to run the wiring, I might be in business.
I think the most challenging part will be finding an acceptable looking USB type A port that can be conveniently mounted to the console without hacking it to pieces. You want something with a a square or rectangular layout and then some kind of fascia that would clip into place from the outside to provide a finished look and hold the board in place.

There are several boards available on ebay and other places where you can run 12V power to a board that already has a transformer and USB type A port on it, but none of those can be easily mounted or look pleasing enough to the eye that I would want to use one.

Edit: something like this would probably work perfectly. You can use a drill bit to drill a perfectly round hole and then this has a screw on ring to secure it from the backside.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yeah but how hard would it be to route the wiring for this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Doubt it would be that hard. Start at the fuse box and just tuck the wires into the center tunnel and then jump into the center console once you get there. Worst case you game to remove a couple of trim pieces, but I bet you can get it done without.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I would bet you can tap off the wire connected to the usb in the storage area and run it to the rear of the console where you can drill a hold to mount what Rocky posted. When my kids get older that will be on my agenda.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would bet you can tap off the wire connected to the usb in the storage area and run it to the rear of the console where you can drill a hold to mount what Rocky posted. When my kids get older that will be on my agenda.
Same thing I posted. I would want to see the wiring diagram before I tapped into that wire. Not sure what else is on that circuit and adding another 3 amps to the end of it is probably ok, but I would want to make sure first. You'll also have to find a new ground unless you tap into both.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Same thing I posted. I would want to see the wiring diagram before I tapped into that wire. Not sure what else is on that circuit and adding another 3 amps to the end of it is probably ok, but I would want to make sure first. You'll also have to find a new ground unless you tap into both.

Yes was thinking you would use the ground that's there since it's a relatively short run. It would save time as well as picking up the carpet and using whatever bolt is used to screw down the console itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Over Christmas, I stopped by a couple local car alarm and stereo places. The first one I went to, a young adult "helped" me and looked at me like I was crazy when I told him what I was wanting. On my way out of the store, I overheard the older gentleman that had been on the phone tell the kid, "that's an easy install".

So, I went to another place and they were able to get to it the next week. We couldn't locate rectangular covered USB outlets (didn't check Honda), but found some round ones (which I had already seen online). When they came in, they weren't covered - just single 2 amp USB outlets. I agreed to have them installed anyway at $6 each plus 1 hour labor ($90 + tax). It took them about 1.5 hours and looks fantastic. (And I didn't need a drink afterwards.)

They were installed down at the bottom of the console where they "should" (imo) have been. There was also apparently room to install them up higher on the console where the seat warmer switches are in the higher trim levels. They also gave me the option to have them "always hot" or powered off when the vehicle is off. I chose "off" when the car is "off".

I would have preferred USB outlets that look like the others in the vehicle, but I'll never look at them and my kids are happy.

(And I got WeatherTech floor mats for Christmas....It's all good!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
$113 total - Should have been about $150, but they got the wrong USB plugs in. They are pretty basic. I would have had to wait a couple of weeks to get ones I originally requested, but wanted them before we headed out of town.

(And now that the wiring is there, I can always change them out.)

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
$113 total - Should have been about $150, but they got the wrong USB plugs in. They are pretty basic. I would have had to wait a couple of weeks to get ones I originally requested, but wanted them before we headed out of town.

this looks good. thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,209 Posts

Thank you for posting a follow up. I'd totally forgotten about this thread.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts