Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This stems from my tire discussion about my 07 FWD EX. Since I only got about 40k miles out of my Michelin LTX M/S 2's I am wondering if I may have suspension issue. I don't notice any odd wobbling, but the ride may have gotten worse slowly and I wouldn't have noticed. With 153,000 miles on it I am sure there is some wear. Wear patterns on tires are the same.

Are there specific indicators as to when to replace shocks, struts, control arms, tie rods, etc?

Shocks look easy, Struts look like a real pain to do. Anyone replace just the bushings? I am in the south east so very little rust (if any) on the vehicle.

A-1 Auto has great videos on replacing these items. Search the You Tube.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I replaced the rear shocks when the rear end started groaning when going over speed bumps. Shock oil was leaking from one of them. I used KYB and have been happy with them. Took less than an hour to do.
On the fronts the compliance bushing (part of lower control arm) is known to tear/fail. I have a set of lower control
arms sitting in the cabinet just waiting for the existing ones to get really bad. I bought Moog from the advice of a friend who does lots of work on his vehicles. If you replace the entire LCA you get the new bushing plus a new ball joint.
I haven’t had to replace struts yet. My Pilot is nearing 100k miles so I’m sure that is just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
As @road2cycle I've also replaced my rear shocks with KYB. So far, so good with my Michelin LTX M/2s. Time will tell.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I assume you are rotating your tires and getting even wear, do you mean even across all four tires, or even across the tread??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume you are rotating your tires and getting even wear, do you mean even across all four tires, or even across the tread??
Yes. Even wear across all 4 tires. They appear to be very close the the same depth. Although I did just notice that my front tires are more worn on the inside edge. I need to check the backs to see if they have the same thing.

I rotate them every oil change which seems to be about approx every 7k (i get it changed when the dashboard tells me to). I think I am going to do what I do on my pathfinder and just change oil and roate every 5k. That might work out to one extra time every year.

I am definitely changing the shocks this weekend ( in between soccer games and other chores). I got some KYB from RockAuto for both vehicles. I am planning on ordering the Struts next. KYB doesn't make a quick strut for the FWD pilot so it looks like I get to work with a spring compressor. Fun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 05 had really bad shocks in the rear and it caused a bit of toe in and positive camber which ate through the POs tires in short order. New shocks straightened things out almost to perfect alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts