Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Wesley and I’m new to the forum. This past week my 2004 Honda Pilot has developed a knocking noise that I fear is rod knock. It has just shy of 150,000 miles, timing belt change was done right after 100,000 miles, fairly regular oil changes, but coincidentally I just got the oil changed a few weeks ago (first time I didn’t do it myself). Not the original owner but the previous owner had good maintenance records. I took a video and uploaded to YouTube, I’ll share the link on my second post (anti-spam on forum won’t let me include it on my first one).

When I increase RPM’s the speed of the knocking also increases but decreases in volume, and seemingly goes away at higher RPM’s.

Anyone have a good idea what this might be?

Thanks!

Wesley

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds too "rattly" and high-pitched for rod knock to me. I'd be looking more at tensioners, accessories, etc. And rod knock would be extremely rare in a well-maintained 150K Pilot.

Could be wrong, of course. Good luck.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Torque all plugs before you do anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Might be timing belt hydraulic tensioner going bad (especially if it's off brand, or not replaced with the timing belt).

You can also remove the drive belt to eliminate other rotating components.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Might be timing belt hydraulic tensioner going bad (especially if it's off brand, or not replaced with the timing belt).

You can also remove the drive belt to eliminate other rotating components.
If you remove the serpentine belt, that will remove the power steering pump, the alternator, and the AC compressor from the mix. If the noise is still present after you pull this belt, then the likely causes are timing belt tensioner, valve train, water pump, and crankshaft/connecting rod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys sorry for the delay in responding. The next day I narrowed it down to the power steering pump and when I removed the pulley got this beautiful site from the ball bearings (see picture).

What’s interesting is on the 2004 Pilot, the power steering pump has a dedicated belt that doesn’t go to anything else. Picked a pump off another Pilot in a junk yard for $20 and replaced some O-rings and working like a charm.
F5CE2B79-0DE1-459C-97CF-58B406FB16A3.jpeg

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hey guys sorry for the delay in responding. The next day I narrowed it down to the power steering pump and when I removed the pulley got this beautiful site from the ball bearings (see picture).

What’s interesting is on the 2004 Pilot, the power steering pump has a dedicated belt that doesn’t go to anything else. Picked a pump off another Pilot in a junk yard for $20 and replaced some O-rings and working like a charm.
View attachment 132821
You are correct about the PS pump having it's own drive belt. My 2003 is the same, l just forgot about that detail. Glad it was an easy fix!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts