Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you are probally way behind me milage wise. But I have just noticed something real strange. I just passed my 1000 mile mark. Prior to that, as my wife's Pilot is now, the odometer shows 003960 .
Mine that just went over shows 0 10080 .

Anybody else have the same problem / experience?:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Harddrv: This is just a stab in the dark, but I'm thinking that it's just the font, if you will, that Honda is using to display the odometer digits -- that's probably why you're seeing that extra space right before the number "1" on your odometer readout. Take a look here -- maybe a picture will help:

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you are right, that is exactly what it looks like. Except where I went to school, that's 10 thousand miles..NOT one thousand!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I thought you had just added an extra zero when you typed 1080. If it went from 999 to 10,000 miles....get thee to a dealer quickly. You warranty and resale values would both drop dramatically if you didn't get that one fixed quickly.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Wow....good luck at the dealer!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Harddrv said:
I know many of you are probally way behind me milage wise. But I have just noticed something real strange. I just passed my 1000 mile mark. Prior to that, as my wife's Pilot is now, the odometer shows 003960 .
Mine that just went over shows 0 10080 .

Anybody else have the same problem / experience?:confused: :confused:
hey hardrv
can you clearify what you mean>>I really are not sure what you are trying to say

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woops

Wow, do I feel like an idiot.. It is 10K..I guess I just can't belive I got that many miles already. That's less than 4 months.

:8: :1pat:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You're kidding right? :eek: I mean, did you at least think of getting an oil change at 500 or 700 miles (at least that's the mileage you thought it would have been at)? :1pat:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
FLPilot said:
You're kidding right? :eek: I mean, did you at least think of getting an oil change at 500 or 700 miles (at least that's the mileage you thought it would have been at)? :1pat:
Good point, Officer FLPilot -- do you have jurisdiction in Texas to give Harddrv a ticket for, I dunno, make up a citation!!! :4:
:D :D :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol..well actually I had my oil chnged the 1st week I owned the vechile. Switched to Mobil One synthetic oil. And then had it changed again at 6000. I have no Idea why the brain fart of rolling to 10K..I guess I just didn't want it to!!
:confused:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
LOL kemosabe! Hey actually now that I'm thinking about it, I am cross certified as a US Customs agent......not sure they have something like that in their law books though.

Glad to hear you are taking care of that engine Harddrv.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was told NOT to change the oil until 3750 miles....that it was very important for the special oil to stay in that length of time to do what it was supposed to do???? Are you all being told something diferent from your dealers or service managers?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Yeah, ya gotta take care of that engine with regular oil changes, Harddrv -- otherwise, Officer FLPilot (and there are a couple of other cops on this board) will have to write you up for "unlawful and negligent abuse of your Honda Pilot." I understand that your Pilot can and will be taken from you...... :p :p :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
synthetic oil

My last vechile was a Mazda B-4000 pick up truck. Basically a ford with a mazda body. I ran synthetic oil in that bad boy from day one, never had any problems with that truck that I didn't create myself and the usual maintence. Ran that thing up to 230,000 miles and then donated it still going strong! As such I am an avid proponet of synthetic oil. So yes I change my oil..but they recommed 5-6K between changes. And yes I am close to being due. I have no idea who told you what about a special oil my3kids , but in my book you can help the engine and the milage of any vechile by using a synthetic oil, and Honda doesn't have one! (Mobil One) is what I use. Cost more, but you go twice as long between changes, and it's GOOD STUFF!! And it aint being pumped out of any Iraqi oil field!!:2: :5: :29:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: synthetic oil

Harddrv said:
Ran that thing up to 230,000 miles and then donated it still going strong!
How does that work? I'm trying to decide the best way to dispose of my Accord... see my signature line

·
Registered
94 Posts
my3kids said:
I was told NOT to change the oil until 3750 miles....that it was very important for the special oil to stay in that length of time to do what it was supposed to do???? Are you all being told something diferent from your dealers or service managers?
According to Honda's FAQ re: first oil change:

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
florida_guy , here in Texas there is and organization called Voluenteers of America. They will come to you, pick up runnning vechiles and then give you a form to turn into the IRS for a tax deduction. They in turn patch em up with bandaids and chewing gum and give them to the needy.:18:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Harddrv said:
florida_guy , here in Texas there is and organization called Voluenteers of America. They will come to you, pick up runnning vechiles and then give you a form to turn into the IRS for a tax deduction. They in turn patch em up with bandaids and chewing gum and give them to the needy.:18:
Hmmm... Have to look into that. Wonder what the deduction would be on mine. It doesn't need any bandaids or chewing gum. The only thing wrong with it is that it has a lot of miles on it so you never know what might break next.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Re: synthetic oil

florida_guy said:
How does that work? I'm trying to decide the best way to dispose of my Accord... see my signature line
Organizations like the Humane Society will pick up your car (running or not) and you get the tax deduction. When you specify the value, just be reasonable for the model year and milage. If you try to claim that you donated a $10,000 Accord, the IRS might try to make you prove it.

I once donated a 12 year old car which I had quit driving and hadn't licensed for almost a year. After a year of sitting, it wouldn't even turn over. They sent a flat bed tow truck and hauled it away for free. I took the blue book (worn condition) value for the dection.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts