Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving today I received a prompt from the in-dash navigation system that a new map update was available. I got the usb key and started the update. When I plugged the usb key into my computer, Garmin Express states that no update is available. When I check honda.garmin.com, it also states that the 2020 map update has not been released yet.

Anyone else experiencing this today?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not yet, but the wife wishes it was updated. been down to many wrong way streets and dead ends.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet, but the wife wishes it was updated. been down to many wrong way streets and dead ends.
Frustrating isn't it. Garmin has told me that there is a problem with all 19 Pilots Navigation system. I traded my '17 Pilot for a '19 Pilot and the '17 Pilot had a more up to date nav system than the '19. Garmin told me that they hope that there will be a fix in the next update - aka, we have to put up with the crappy system in the '19 for a year, as Garmin only sends out updates to the nav system once a year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently got a 2019 Touring and last week got the message on the screen that an update was available. I followed the instructions and installed the update. I did see a message that version one dated 2018 was being replaced by version two dated 2020. The only issues I had was using a 64 gb usb card. You can only go as high as 32gb for some reason. Otherwise everything went smooth with no problems. Took maybe one hour from downloading the Garmin program and new map data and installing it in the car. The installation to the car took about 20 minutes and there is a warning that once you start you can’t turn off the car so be prepared.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I updated the Nav in my 2019 Pilot a couple days ago. My USB drive was a 32 GB Sandisk and Garmin Express kept giving me an error that the max size of the USB drive can only be 32 GB. I used EaseUS to partition the drive to 16 GB & it worked just fine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the update. I just checked again and got the response that the 2019 is up to date and no new update is available.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the update. I just checked again and got the response that the 2019 is up to date and no new update is available.
Yes, I should have mentioned that I had updated from 2018 to 2019 maps. Garmin doesn't show 2020 maps available yet.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just checked my Update app on the car this morning and it is showing I have a navigation update. Online it is showing I am current so apparently there is a misconnect between the Honda owners site, the Garmin site, and the in car technology.

Since others are in fact able to update I will try and do the same. However, we are leaving on vacation in the morning and the car will be parked in the garage for the next 8 days. I will wait until we get back and perhaps this confusion will be solved as to whether there is an update for everyone or just some.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just looked at the Garmin website (9/7/2019). The site displays the message "The 2020 map update has not been released yet; please check back in the near future."

Pretty crappy that a 16GB USB drive is required. I have dozens that a smaller and a handful that are bigger.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Pretty crappy that a 16GB USB drive is required. I have dozens that a smaller and a handful that are bigger.
You can create a 16GB partition on a larger drive. I did the same thing as in the post above:

I updated the Nav in my 2019 Pilot a couple days ago. My USB drive was a 32 GB Sandisk and Garmin Express kept giving me an error that the max size of the USB drive can only be 32 GB. I used EaseUS to partition the drive to 16 GB & it worked just fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I still haven't been able to update to 2020 maps - it seems like some people are able to. I get the update in the vehicle by Garmin express tells me no update is available. Anyone else get this to work successfully?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I still haven't been able to update to 2020 maps - it seems like some people are able to. I get the update in the vehicle by Garmin express tells me no update is available. Anyone else get this to work successfully?
Try reformatting your USB stick with FAT32. The USB stick needs to be 16 gig minimum. Then try using the USB jack inside the console. Make sure no other USB devices are plugged in while updating.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just finished updating my 2019 Pilot Touring navigation on Saturday. I formatted a USB using the quick format option on my computer to FAT32 and plugged it into the center USB in the car. It was a 32 gig device. I noted that the map version installed in the car was 2018.10. After the car said to remove the USB I then downloaded the Garmin Express app and downloaded the update. It took almost 3 1/2 hours to download to the USB from my computer.

I then put the USB into the car (again the center USB port that is used for Car Play-Android Auto) and followed the directions to transfer the new update to the car. Since I had some running around to do I shut off the Auto-Stop feature to make sure the engine didn't stop running while doing my running around and while the files were being transferred.

Don't know if it would have made a difference if I allowed the Auto-Stop to work, but didn't want to take any chances. I drive with that feature turned on 100% of the time, and it felt rather odd when stopping and still having the engine running when I knew it should have been off!

In about 20 minutes my new maps were transferred, and checking the map version it was now 2019.11 I did have to drive about 5-10 minutes however after the update for the compass to work properly in the center driver's information screen and for the road that I was on to be shown correctly. The navigation screen was showing me driving about 200 feet off the roads I was on and was naming cross streets on the center screen. After 5-10 minutes everything returned to normal including the screen showing me on the correct road and the compass showing the correct heading.

Must have been re-calibrating itself after the update. All is well now and it was a pretty easy process all in all other than the long download time to obtain the map update from the Garmin site.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maps version 2019.11 is the version that I have had for nearly a year now and is the version that contains errors. It is not the 2020 version. Whenever I use Garmin Express to try and update to the 2020 version it tells me that the current version, 2019.11 is the most up to date version.

Honda is really late this year pushing out the 2020 version.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Maps version 2019.11 is the version that I have had for nearly a year now and is the version that contains errors. It is not the 2020 version. Whenever I use Garmin Express to try and update to the 2020 version it tells me that the current version, 2019.11 is the most up to date version.

Honda is really late this year pushing out the 2020 version.
Well it was an update considering mine had the 2018.10 version since I purchased the vehicle. Mine was built in August of 2018. Just in the last week or so I had seen the update message on the navigation screen which I very seldom turn on any more. I know it wasn't there 3 or 4 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Well it was an update considering mine had the 2018.10 version since I purchased the vehicle. Mine was built in August of 2018. Just in the last week or so I had seen the update message on the navigation screen which I very seldom turn on any more. I know it wasn't there 3 or 4 weeks ago.
About three weeks ago, I upgraded my '19 which was built in February of 2019. It had the 2018 maps and now post-upgrade has the 2019.11 version. Last week, the Garmin app on my PC gave me a notification that new maps were available for the Pilot, so I repeated the dance with an SD card, downloaded maps for two hours, and found out that it was the maps I already had.

Reactions: Puffin

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just tried to update to 2020 version as Garmin Express is showing 2020.10 as the latest version. My Pilot has 2019.11 version. When I attempt to download the maps, Garmin Express states no update available.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I just tried to update to 2020 version as Garmin Express is showing 2020.10 as the latest version. My Pilot has 2019.11 version. When I attempt to download the maps, Garmin Express states no update available.
I just got home from work and hopped onto my workstation PC to check something out before the wife and I go to dinner. I got another alert that a map update is available. Of course when I stick in the USB drive it tells me the vehicle information is out of date. So, I just quick-formatted the USB drive and I'll plug it into the car when we go out and initialize the drive. Then I'll try downloading and installing the update again and see what happens.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally I was able to successfully install the 2020 update. I had to uninstall Garmin Express and reinstall it. Also reformatted the USB drive and started all over. It worked.

I checked and the missing 2019 map points are now showing on the 2020 version. Finally. A full year to wait to fix this issue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just received a postcard in the mail today from Honda USA. It congratulated us on our one year anniversary of our 2019 Pilot purchase.

The postcard also asked if we were aware of the new Garmin map update. Gave a link for the download:

honda.garmin.com/honda

1 - 20 of 24 Posts