Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Pilot that has been running flawlessly up until the last service visit, which happened to be the last under warranty (cliche, I know). The dealership has been mailing, calling, and emailing me every few days for quite a while, trying to get me in a new Pilot, but I am happy with the one I have. I brought it in at about 24K miles for just an oil change and tire rotation. I always ask them to update firmware and apply TSBs, but they have always told me there have been no firmware updates or TSBs (seems strange, since it is now 3 years old). This last time they told me it needed a new air filter, but since I wanted to install a K&N I told them not to change it. I drove away and it just felt different. Being a new-era vehicle I was thinking that perhaps the dirty air filter had some effect, so I changed it, to no benefit. The Pilot is having uneven acceleration, and the tach jumps. I can tell when it changes gears, which seems mostly normal (though when I really step on it the downshift seems latent and rough), but it seems like it trying to change gears when it shouldn't. Hard to describe, but as a traditional stick driver the analogy would be like I was just occasionally stepping on the clutch but not shifting, about every 1000 RPM. The tach jumps and the car seems to stumble, but then it cleans up again and accelerates a bit more, stumbles, then eventually the gear shifts at an otherwise appropriate RPM.

Anyway, I wouldn't normally question this as being anything but a failed sensor or something along those lines. but living in Miami I totally believe this could be something the dealership here does to cycle people into new vehicles. I know it sounds paranoid, but anyone who lives here or who has lived here could probably concur. In my line of work I get to attend many interesting meetings on subjects such as cybersecurity, and in one it was announced that Miami is the fraud capital of the world. Funny we could beat such places as Nigeria, but there it is. And people here wear such things with pride, so even worse. So I am wondering if anyone has had an experience like this, where it seems like some dealer sabotage on their vehicles. And, being a car/computer savvy person, I was wondering if changes are logged, and if I could access those through either the ODB II or through the CAN interface on the head unit. While I hope it is just a simple issue, if I am being taken advantage of I would love to catch them at it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's pains me to say it but I would not be surprised if dealer sabotage does occur. I'm NOT saying that's the case in your situation though.

The only thing I want to say is about TSB's - they are typically not completed unless there a is a complaint or an issue. So if your vehicle is performing well and you don't have any issues, TSB's will not be performed automatically. Recalls on the other hand, are very different, and they are completed automatically (with or without complaint/issue).

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Get a second and third opinion from a trusted and/or out of town Honda-savvy mechanic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts