Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 250 miles today from TN to GA. Half way through the trip I smelled a very faint smell like burning coolant. I didn’t think much of it since many Honda’s I’ve driven have smelled like that after some hard highway driving. Get home, unload the car and then move it out of the driveway. Noticed a few spots on the driveway. Very slightly oily and didn’t have much of a smell (or taste). I looked up under the car and there seems to be some residue around the radiator drain plug. How do I check the radiator for leaks? Also I’m not sure if this has a transmission cooler (2008 EX-L) but if it doesn’t am I still at risk for the strawberry milkshake? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,028 Posts
You might try to carefully tighten the radiator drain plug to see if it’s a bit loose.

A pressure test will reveal if there is a leak in the cooling system. Also look for chalky blue (dried coolant) on the radiator fins.

For the tranny cooler lines look if the two ports on the bottom middle of the radiator are used. If they are the possibility for the pink milkshake exists.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Just rolled over 184,000 on the original radiator so makes sense that it would be time to replace!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
just to make sure the water pump is NOT leaking if the TB was changed at 105 then it's possible i had to change my TB at 90K due to a leaking pump.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might try to carefully tighten the radiator drain plug to see if it’s a bit loose.

A pressure test will reveal if there is a leak in the cooling system. Also look for chalky blue (dried coolant) on the radiator fins.

For the tranny cooler lines look if the two ports on the bottom middle of the radiator are used. If they are the possibility for the pink milkshake exists.
real quick, how could an external radiator leak cause the pink milkshake?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Internal radiator leak will cause pink milkshake. If the radiator internal tranny cooler isn’t connected (i.e. only external tranny cooler used) then the internal mixing of coolant and tranny fluid in a failed radiator won’t occur.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

it appears this is installed on my car....is this the type of cooler that I should be concerned about? Or is it it’s own unit and therefore a radiator failure doesn’t affect it. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
If the radiator’s internal tranny cooler is bypassed then the pink milkshake won’t happen. You will need to follow the external cooler tranny fluid lines to see where they go (inline or bypassing radiator internal tranny cooler). OEM radiators have the internal tranny cooler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts