Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to troubleshoot possible brakes issue on my wife's Honda Pilot. The issue is the sound that i'm hearing while braking at low speeds with brake pedal being depressed firmly - multiple clicks, almost crunchy like sounds coming somewhere from the brake pedal/engine compartment area. Sounds occurs if slowing down both in drive and neutral. Can hear it while in park just depressing the pedal. If I'm gentle with depressing brake pedal while slowing down - no sounds happening, smooth breaking with no issues. I've remove brake pads, had the pins lubricated and everything cleaned but the sounds is still present. Brake fluid has been flushed around a year ago. My only guess would be master brake cylinder? pads and rotors still looking good, they have around 40k on them since new and still have 50% life left. Total mileage on the car is 40k.
Help me out with suggestions folks, car is still under warranty but I prefer not to take it to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
871 Posts
The only sound I get is a single clunk once in a while when applying the brakes at low speed. I am pretty sure it is just the pads moving a bit in the calipers as there is still a lot of life left in the pads and don't need to be replaced. Braking performance is not affected by this. I have had this same noise in a few other vehicles with disc brakes and have noticed that some pads are a little sloppy and move around which is better than being too tight and jamming up.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just a guess, but perhaps something to do with the ABS (anti-lock braking system)? I understand that it even happens while stopped so maybe some type of solenoid or relay that's part of the braking system.

Please come back once you find out what it is and let us know.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
normal, according to Honda. They said it's due to the pads being worn out and making these sounds when brakes applied. No repairs needed at the time. okay. good news, stop start switch failure confirmed and it is being replaced under warranty.

I was planning to do the brakes anyways (feels like the rotors are warped) so we'll if that'll cure this issue

·
Registered
197 Posts
normal, according to Honda. They said it's due to the pads being worn out and making these sounds when brakes applied. No repairs needed at the time. okay. good news, stop start switch failure confirmed and it is being replaced under warranty.

I was planning to do the brakes anyways (feels like the rotors are warped) so we'll if that'll cure this issue
Did you end up replacing the pads and if so, did it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you end up replacing the pads and if so, did it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I swapped out front rotors (they were warped) and pad, and it solved the issue described above as well as pulsation while braking issue. Additional bonus to that is that I've noticed (as I was replacing brakes) that lower control arm compliance bushings were torn and Honda ended up replacing them under warranty.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,193 Posts
Yes, I swapped out front rotors (they were warped) and pad, and it solved the issue described above as well as pulsation while braking issue. Additional bonus to that is that I've noticed (as I was replacing brakes) that lower control arm compliance bushings were torn and Honda ended up replacing them under warranty.
What led you to believe they were warped? How did they get warped?

I'm not arguing with you, but check out #3 on this link please:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What led you to believe they were warped? How did they get warped?

I'm not arguing with you, but check out #3 on this link please:

pulsation in the steering wheel when braking at 60mph and higher. whether it was warping or anything else, I really don't care, problem fixed, moving on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.