Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my TB done at the dealer. Now They told me my positive terminal on my battery is corroded and they can have the cable replaced for $442. I said no thank you. Feel like it’s a high way robbery. I haven’t removed the battery yet as it’s already dark here but wanted to know if this can be fixed by baking soda?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
This is a 2nd gen positive battery cable. Generally goes for $100 - $130.

Unlike the $30 ground cable it is a more complicated installation. If you are mechanically inclined you could do it for a lot less,

·
Registered
193 Posts
Corroded terminals are common. The cause is that your sealed battery has a failed seal at the positive terminal. I've had occasional luck swapping batteries under warranty that exhibit gassing through the terminals.
If it's a little green fuzz, clean what you can with baking soda and go about your business. The cables have a lot of excess capacity and a slight amount of oxidation is not necessarialy a serious issue. If the car is starting well and charging appropriately I'd probably leave it alone.
Got any pics?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
All good advice here. If the terminal can be cleaned and the vehicle operates normally, I'm not inclined to replace. Clean the terminal. Use dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Make sure caps are sealed on the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Corroded terminals are common. The cause is that your sealed battery has a failed seal at the positive terminal. I've had occasional luck swapping batteries under warranty that exhibit gassing through the terminals.
If it's a little green fuzz, clean what you can with baking soda and go about your business. The cables have a lot of excess capacity and a slight amount of oxidation is not necessarialy a serious issue. If the car is starting well and charging appropriately I'd probably leave it alone.
Got any pics?
Here’s a few pics before and after. Did it myself today. Cleaned with baking soda and water. Had to buy battery post shims as the connection was lose. Part of the terminal got corroded. Car starts well. Will keep an eye in the next few days. Thanks for all the advise.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I like to get everything brushed and flushed clean, disassemble and do it again, then reassemble, tighten, and add Vaseline over everything to shield from corrosion. Vaseline is dielectric (non-metallic) with a medium melting point similar to dielectric grease. If you get some on your clothes it washes out. More, it draws into clamps and post junctions by capillary action, so offers better protection of those critical surfaces than a spray-on non-resin protectant will.

Modern batteries don't outgas acid vapors the way batteries used to. Most have internal vents and liquid separator built in so we don't need to constantly monitor liquid level in the cells. When I see a cauliflower bloom of corrosion like the one in the first post, I go after the cause as much as the effect. Tired batteries are kind of a self-reinforcing problem. They take more charging to get charged, emit more vapors because of the extra charging and heat, and get even more tired in the process. My cars enjoy an annual electrical maintenance protocol that's more than most see in a decade. Part of that is testing the specific gravity of the fluid, as an indicator of overall battery health. Tired/weak/failing batteries show up in that test before they show other major symptoms like not starting the car, so can help avoid the telltales like that terminal corrosion. I probably sacrifice six months average usable battery life in the process, but I get to shop for a battery at my convenience rather than driven by immediate need. And much less risk of mrs dr bob calling me from the piggly wiggly parking lot with a bunch of melting ice cream.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts