Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I purchased an EX-L without the RES. My thought was that I could get a very good portable DVD player for much less than the $1500 increase for the RES. I'm curious if anyone else has done this and has any recommendations on which one you bought and where you place it in the Pilot when using it. My brother built a little stand that goes in the foot well on one side of the back but I thought it could also rest on the center console.

Currently, ones I'm looking at are the Panasonic DVD-LA95, Samsung DVD-L200, and the Toshiba SD-P2500. Are there any others I should be looking at? Anyone have any experience with these?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't installed it yet but I just ordered this from Etronics.com:

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PLDVD124

The dimensions are 6.29"W X 1.96"H X 6.29"L so I believe it will fit in the storage area under the Not An Ashtray. I am having it connected to an aftermarket overhead monitor and to the factory Nav screen through the AVElectronic.com NavTV-Tuner. This is part of a larger project but total costs for just the DVD and monitor will be about:

DVD player: $110
Monitor: $350
Installation: $200

Total: $660

·
Registered
19 Posts
DVD player

Instead of buying the DVD system, I knew I could buy a laptop that plays DVD's for less money (and is more useful to me than an in-car DVD player). Not convenient for small kids and harder to hide but with a bigger screen and game playing ability it worked for my family. I made a shelf out of plexiglas which i covered with that no slip shelving material. The shelf rests on the back seat bottom and hangs from the "hook" on the back of the console (drill 2 hole in plexiglas and loop a cord through it to get level height with seat). Very stable and laptop didn't slide around. Not attractive but cheap & functional.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I vote for the Toshiba. It's small enough to fit in a generic case available at best buy that enables you to place the player on the ctr console securely for rear seat viewing. The samsung wont fit (in the case or very well between the seats) and I've read some bad reviews on the panasonic. The toshiba also has a crisper picture than the samsung. The brand name of the case is I believe targus. I have the toshiba (2500) and it's great but both the samsung and the toshiba are fairly expensive. polaroid makes an eight inch that sells for around 400.00 and the picture looks pretty good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the info. I hadn't thought of just doing a strap around the armrest. NCG8R, how did you keep the battery from dying? Did you buy a DC -> AC converter to make sure your batteries stay live during long trips?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the Panasonic LA-95. It is fabulous! Great picture even at an angle. I also have the extended battery and can get about 7-8 hours of use. I use the Suspension Theatre in the car. Not as easy as the factory unit. But, half the price, bigger screen and can use it on the airplane and in the hotel rooms. Highly recommend the LA-95.

·
Registered
19 Posts
laptop

I bought a DC/AC inverter. I thought this would be more useful than a standard DC plug for the PC. Adds more wires to keep up with but I can power other things when/if necessary. Just make sure it's sized adequately and has a shut off if battery gets too low. I only used it with the car running so i had no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts