·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at portable DVD players as an add-on, here's what I'm considering:

Panasonic DVD-LX9 ($726)
Toshiba SDP-2500 ($484)
Samsung DVD-L100 ($650)

Any thoughts on the above? Other current players worthy of consideration I may have missed?

Does everyone like the Mito Suspension Theater? ($65)

I haven't even looked at portable DVD players until now, so I am unfamiliar with their features and performance. However, if we get one, we'll need it in less than 2 weeks to accomodate a trip. I'm trying to learn faast.

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so. I prefer a 16:9 screen, the widescreen format (most DVDs I have will be in OAR). I'm hoping to get at least a 9" screen.

I'm thinking of a portable system, not an installed system.

Isn't the RES a 4:3 display? If not, maybe I screwed up by not getting the factory RES.

Thanks for the link for the Audiovox system.

·
Registered
403 Posts
speedlever said:
I don't think so. I prefer a 16:9 screen, the widescreen format (most DVDs I have will be in OAR). I'm hoping to get at least a 9" screen.

I'm thinking of a portable system, not an installed system.

Isn't the RES a 4:3 display? If not, maybe I screwed up by not getting the factory RES.

Thanks for the link for the Audiovox system.
I think the RES display is 16:9 however the screen is 7" small. Audiovox has widescreen 9" models too.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/...001&storeId=10001&productId=1765333&langId=-1

As an additional portable option I know:

Sony DVP-FX700 ($ 599.95)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
We use a Panasonic on long trips and it's very nice. Sturdy, too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tracy,

Which model Panny and how do you mount it?

I'd like some feedback on the Mito Suspension Theater, if anyone cares to comment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speedy,
Our family did the same thing you are planning. A portable is much cheaper than an installed DVD, and, is well .... portable. We really enjoy the unit. It is one of the best toys we ever bought. We use it in the car, motels rooms, at home in the bonus room, on the deck.

I did a lot of research, and selected a Panasonic DVD-LV70 from buydig.com. The panasonic was more expensive than some other brands, but user comments were great. And, battery life for this unit is over four hours.

Get at least a seven inch screen and long battery life.

Go Browns!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for you comments, ncbrowns61. After doing some more research, I like the system that Borg uses... put the player on the armrest and use a strap to secure it. ;-)

Now I just gotta find a good player. I'll check into the Panny.

How do you secure yours?

·
Registered
21 Posts
portable DVD

Just another idea we use...

we take along a laptop with DVD capabilities. For the cost of a portable DVD player, you can have a laptop that gives you more options. We have even hooked up portable speakers for extra sound when needed.

Again, just more options and flexibility.:lurk:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you secure the laptop? I've thought about this option as I could make good use of the laptop. Otoh, it seems to be a more expensive solution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
speedlever said:
How do you secure the laptop? I've thought about this option as I could make good use of the laptop. Otoh, it seems to be a more expensive solution.
Sometimes we hold it.
Other times, in other vechicles, we use whatever is available. Last trip to FL in a big truck, they set up a shelf with a "lip" so it would not fall off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am using the following adapter to mount my DVD in the Pilot. The base for the bracket is almost small enough to fit inside the little bag hook on the back of the center console. I ended up cutting off about an 1/8" of the plate and used the supplied double stick pad to mount it. The arm can easily be removed and it doesn't block the functionality of the arm rest.

I bought it Best Buy for less then $20.00.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384510403&skuId=3682134&type=producthttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384510403&skuId=3682134&type=product

I will try and attach pictures this evening.

·
Registered
170 Posts
borg's installation?

speedlever said:
Thanks for you comments, ncbrowns61. After doing some more research, I like the system that Borg uses... put the player on the armrest and use a strap to secure it. ;-)

Now I just gotta find a good player. I'll check into the Panny.

How do you secure yours?
Speedy - could you either describe Borg's system or post a link to a thread where it is described?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
audiovox DVD

I got audiovox DVD PRO916 installed by dealer. It is widescreen. It looks good. WIll post the pictures soon. Did not want portable which shakes etc. Picture quality in mine is great and so is sound. It comes with two wireless headset. My baby is 3 months old. So when he is front facing and interested, I will have to get third headset :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still only considering the portable options, I plan to place an order later tonight for a Toshiba SDP 2500 DVD player from buydig.com for $465 plus shipping. (unless something else impresses me before I order)

I also ordered a Targus Road Warrior case from Page Computers for ~$51 shipped. It doubles as a suspension theater.

I'm not sure if the Tosh comes with a car adapter or not. If not, any good places to get one?

How about headphone options? (I know I should do a search first, but it just popped in my head). Wireless options?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: audiovox DVD

muktibodh said:
I got audiovox DVD PRO916 installed by dealer. It is widescreen. It looks good. WIll post the pictures soon. Did not want portable which shakes etc. Picture quality in mine is great and so is sound. It comes with two wireless headset. My baby is 3 months old. So when he is front facing and interested, I will have to get third headset :)
I am going to get PROVE8 which has an old fashion 4x3 screen. I wonder how much bigger the 9" wide screen appears than 8" 4x3 screen. My math indicates 9" 16x9 screen height is sin(atan(9/16))*9 which is about 4.4" tall while 8" 4x9 screen height is sin(atan(3/4))*8 which is 4.8" tall. Surprisingly 8" 4x3 is almost 9% taller than 9" 16x9. In terms of area, 9" 16x9 is 34.6 square inches and 8" 4x3 is 22.9 square inches. 9" 16x9 is 51% larger.

I'm expecting my 04 Pilot will arrive sometime next week to the dealer. The installation follows immediately after. I still have time to change my mind. Should I stay with 8" 4x3 or upgrade to 9" 16x9?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tak,

IMHO, get the 9" widescreen, unless all your DVDs are fullscreen.

Check here for why. Remember that a DVD in OAR will not use all the screen of the 4:3 unit. As a matter of fact, if the OAR is greater than 1.85:1, you will even see "letterboxing" on the 16:9 set, but not nearly as much as on the 4:3 set.

Your calculations, while mathematically correct, will not be accurate for Actual Viewing Area, depending on the source.

(OAR=Original Aspect Ratio. )

·
Registered
507 Posts
Re: audiovox DVD

muktibodh said:
May I ask how much the dealer charged for the system and installation? Im still considering having a DVD system added.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts