Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just my provider or is everyone else having this issue.

This just started probably a little over a week ago, just about everytime I click on a different thread a new Pop-Up ad appears. Its becoming more and more annoying. I can check out 10 different threads and have almost the same amount of Pop-Ups appear in the background.

:3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
tonyrwc said:
Is it just my provider or is everyone else having this issue.

This just started probably a little over a week ago, just about everytime I click on a different thread a new Pop-Up ad appears. Its becoming more and more annoying. I can check out 10 different threads and have almost the same amount of Pop-Ups appear in the background.

:3: :3: :3:
This was a real pain in the A$$ before I changed providers to Earthlink. The pop-up blocker works well.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
There are no popups on either this or the MDX site. You've got some "spyware" or popup software installed on your 'puter.

I use Spybot Search and Destroy to whack that stuff -- it's like a Norton AV scan. Not a TSR program so doesn't hog resources.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
No popups here, but even if I go to a site that has popsups, I have a program called Popup Stopper Program (free edition).
You can find it here----> http://www.panicware.com

It is free and catched about 95% of popups. I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
FLPilot said:
No popups here, but even if I go to a site that has popsups, I have a program called Popup Stopper Program (free edition).

I just checked the link and it gave me a cost of $29.95?

·
Registered
423 Posts
JBucey said:
There's a free version that's not so prominently displayed. I use it, too (the free version), and it works well.
Thanks I just downloaded the free version. Sure will beat what I have now...nothing.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Also, if you use the Mozilla (www.mozilla.org) web browser, there is a feature under "Preferences" that lets you suppress pop-ups!! Comes in really handy when I check washingtonpost.com since that site is notorious for pop-up ads!!! :3:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Try Netscape/Mozilla or Safari (Mac only). These browsers have built in pop-up blockers... plus they have tabbed browsing ;)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
FLPilot said:

Bless you for sharing this info., FLPilot. I'm going to try to download it tonite.

I must have all kinds of spyware and popup software "tentacles" in my machine...there's been a real upsurge in recent weeks and THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY .

·
Registered
964 Posts
Pow!

Here is another free pop-up killer. If a pop-up appears you simply bring up the interface and add that pop-up to your list.

It's called Pow! and is on this page a little more than half way down. This guy at http://www.analogx.com has a ton of free utilities. Typically very small programs that use up even less memory.

Check it out.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
FLPilot said:

Some sites use pop ups for legitiimate purposes. On Edmunds for instance when you are building a car and it asks about options. If you click a liink and a pop up comes up explaining the options.

Have you had any problem with those not appearing?

·
Registered
964 Posts
florida_guy said:

Some sites use pop ups for legitiimate purposes. On Edmunds for instance when you are building a car and it asks about options. If you click a liink and a pop up comes up explaining the options.

Have you had any problem with those not appearing?
I've never tried the pop-up tool referred to by others but the one at alanogx lets you select which pop-ups stay and which ones go. It looks like the program selects pop-ups by their title bar. The title bar in IE is what is at the very top of the browser window next to the "e" in the top left corner. For example this page's title bar is "HONDA PILOT .ORG - Reply to Topic". If you select this page as one of your "bad" pop-up windows, as soon as the title bar appears, the window is automatically closed. If you realized that you made a mistake you can go back into the tool and remove this title bar from the "bad" list.
This method is kind of nice because the "bad" pop-up guys sometimes change the words in the title bar. This way you just add the new page to your "bad" list.

The only problem I have seen is when the title bar is blank. Some legitimate sites have a blank, very few, but some. More and more pop-ups are appearing with blank title bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You're welcome Ziploc. The only thing that bothers me about panicware.com program is that if it blocks a popup that you don't want it to block, you can't add it to a "do not block" list. For example, when I click on the "get more" link for the smilie faces, it pops up in a seperate window. That window I guess has something in it that makes the program think it is a popup so I am forced to hold down the "control" button (which lets the popup come up) which over rides the program and then it doesnt go away. I hope that makes sense to you guys. Sometimes it is easier to use than describe.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Pop-Ups

SteveLuman said:

This was a real pain in the A$$ before I changed providers to Earthlink. The pop-up blocker works well.
The strange thing is, that this just started a little over a week ago, before that I usually had only 1 pop-up appear each time I got on the Internet, now it happens almost every time I do another search. I'm using the same provider that I have had for the last year.

Even though it only takes a second to close them, its the whole privacy issue that bothers me. I get bombarded with salesman at home in the evening, daily thru the mail, and now on the Internet, its getting real old real fast! :3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ziploc said:

there's been a real upsurge in recent weeks and THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY .
Hey Ziploc, this is exactly the same time for me as well. Do you think it has anything to do with Broadband Cable in general or is it confined to each provider?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use ad-ware from Lavasoft. Its free and works great! Do a search on Google and follow the procedures. Get it from Majorgeek. That should solve your problems.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I think something's being missed in this discussion. Maybe by me, or maybe by others.

There are some sites that DO have popups, and the popup killers make sense to squelch those.

BUT, this site does not have them. If you're getting popups on this or the MDX site, or other "legitimate" sites you've visited before without popups, then a popup killer is only a bandaid; the problem is that you've got some goofy "spyware" on your computer that's generating them, irrespective of where you're visiting. YOU NEED TO FIND THAT SPYWARE.

The search & destroy software I mentioned scans a harddrive for known spyware/bots/popups and REMOVES them.

Hope that makes sense...just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the shuffle.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yay Mac!

Sounds like from your valuable information yolk, that you are a Mac user..

I am surfing with my new iBook and it rocks.

Don

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Yay Mac!

dandbtucker said:
Sounds like from your valuable information yolk, that you are a Mac user..

I am surfing with my new iBook and it rocks.

Don
warning - off topic post ahead

Don, are you a "switcher?" My first computer in 1984 was an Apple IIc. In 1990, I screwed up and hopped on the upgrade train, and got a new peecee every couple of years. Many blue screens later, I decided to switch. In February of 2002, I became a "switcher," and now have a Titanium PowerBook and original flat panel iMac.

No more 2-3 or more hours a week trying to get that stinkin peecee to work a full hour without crashing. And I'm a recovering "propeller head" with 24 years in the computer business.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts