Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife and I own a 2007 Pilot. I wondered what suggestions you may have to improve fuel efficiency.

In town mpg is aprox 17. There have been times the in town mpg was as low as 15 mpg
Note: we are not aggressive drivers so that wouldn’t contribute to the poor mpg numbers. On the highway mpg is 19 at best.
Is there anything that could improve the mpg? I did replace the spark plugs but that made no difference. I wondered if adding fuel injector cleaner in the fuel may help?
We got our Pilot in 2008 when it had 37,000 miles. We had routine maintenance such as oil changes every 5000 miles. We had timing belt and water pump changed at Dealership.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Welcome @Samm ...my '04 Pilot gets similar mpg numbers 15-17 city and 19-20 hwy. Luv the Pilot but I've never reached max EPA numbers on this first gen Pilot. Not a conservative driver.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,165 Posts
Since you’ve owned this Pilot since 2008 I’m guessing you’ve checked MPG sometime in the past 12 years. I wouldn’t believe you were getting much better than your numbers; those are on the high side of what my wife gets for our 2005. You already changed the spark plugs, and engine air filter filter is the other thing I can think of. Other than that, make sure you’re always driving with a nice tailwind if you want better MPG.?

Reactions: fvf2588

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Check the EGR system. After many miles, the EGR passages in the intake manifold become clogged, restricting flow. This can even lead to constant misfire problems. A simple cleaning can fix this. The passages are found under an access panel on the top of the intake manifold.

Have a shop with a high quality scan tool check out the function of the oxygen sensors. O2 sensors can become slow to respond after many miles. The computer will stay in open loop for a longer time, which is the modern equivalent to choking the engine and running rich. The coolant temp sensor is also important in telling the computer to go into closed loop and lean out the mixture. Sensors can go bad.

Have you ever adjusted the valve clearances? With high miles, the exhaust clearances typically tighten up and the intakes loosen. It's even possible to burn an exhaust valve if this is ignored for many many miles. This will degrade engine performance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you haven't tried it already, throw a can of Seafoam in the gas tank with your next fill up. Pros: heap, easy, and won't cause any harm. Cons: doesn't really isolate where the issue is.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
71 Posts
Hi all,

My wife and I own a 2007 Pilot. I wondered what suggestions you may have to improve fuel efficiency.

In town mpg is aprox 17. There have been times the in town mpg was as low as 15 mpg
Note: we are not aggressive drivers so that wouldn’t contribute to the poor mpg numbers. On the highway mpg is 19 at best.
Is there anything that could improve the mpg? I did replace the spark plugs but that made no difference. I wondered if adding fuel injector cleaner in the fuel may help?
We got our Pilot in 2008 when it had 37,000 miles. We had routine maintenance such as oil changes every 5000 miles. We had timing belt and water pump changed at Dealership.

Thanks
Also try a different supplier of gas. I had a situation where I was getting a solid 19-20 and averaging 19.5 mpg. Then suddenly I went down to 17. I filled up again at a different gas station and got back up to 18.5 and then 19.5. I filled up again at the gas station that is nearest me and I got 17 again. I figured they were serving me E-85 instead of 87 octane. I quit going to the nearest gas station due to the lower mileage two times within a month. I have a 2006 Pilot with 319,000 on it. I have changed most parts that would have anything to do with gas mileage over time, but it doesn't help much. I have owned this Pilot since 38,000 miles. In 2008, they were still giving us 87 octane no ethanol fuel. Now they claim up to 10% ethanol. Part of the loss in gas mileage is the ethanol blend (less power per gallon) and part is the high mileage, wear and tear and slow loss of compression. Anyway, valves should be adjusted somewhere around 180,000 and at every timing belt change after. I like Seafoam the best for cleaning injectors and internal engine parts. There are other good ones too.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
I get around 15 city and 22 highway in my 2008. I have the VCM muzzled (for those who would be wondering). I would prefer to get better mileage but I realize it is an SUV. I am not a particularly rough driver but I am not a feather foot either.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Read your fuel trims and post them here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts