Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already posted about my disappointment with the way the transmission shifts. How it takes a second to decide what gear it wants coming out of a turn. It is really bothering me. Taking a corner at 15 to 20 mph, I hit the gas and instead of it speeding up, it stumbles, slows down, then realizes it needs first gear then it goes.

Well, this is actually my wifes car and she is oblivious to this stuff but it bugs the heck out of me. I finally got to drive it for a longer trip on the freeway. I notice that if you are cruising at 60 to 65 and you press down on the gas a little to speed up, it first slows, then downshifts then it speeds up.

The strange thing is off the line, that is, from a dead stop it has great accelleration. But there has got to be something wrong. I'm going to take it in soon. I hope they don't act like a Ford shop and tell me there is nothing wrong. :(

·
Registered
494 Posts
Pilot pilot,
I haven't noticed any prolems with my trans. We drove it from Arizona to Iowa and back. We towed another car up there and drove just the Pilot back to Arizona. On the trip up to Iowa we drove up 85 mph. The trip back up to 95 mph with no hesitation in passing other vehicles.

I hope you find out what's wrong with your Pilot.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pilot pilot said:
I already posted about my disappointment with the way the transmission shifts. How it takes a second to decide what gear it wants coming out of a turn. It is really bothering me. Taking a corner at 15 to 20 mph, I hit the gas and instead of it speeding up, it stumbles, slows down, then realizes it needs first gear then it goes.

Well, this is actually my wifes car and she is oblivious to this stuff but it bugs the heck out of me. I finally got to drive it for a longer trip on the freeway. I notice that if you are cruising at 60 to 65 and you press down on the gas a little to speed up, it first slows, then downshifts then it speeds up.

The strange thing is off the line, that is, from a dead stop it has great accelleration. But there has got to be something wrong. I'm going to take it in soon. I hope they don't act like a Ford shop and tell me there is nothing wrong. :(
Good idea have it check, this is definitely not normal for a Pilot. This is the smoothest shifting vehicle I have owned. My wife even got it up to 95MPH on the way to Socal. My personal best is 105 MPH....... did not want to experience the dreaded 109MHP CUTOFF.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilot pilot said:
:(
What do you usually drive?
It may be more expectations than any problem.
It does take a bit more time for a heavy vehicle to react than a lighter car.
This seems to be especially true as efficiancy become a greater issue.

·
Registered
481 Posts
there does seem to be a bit of hesitation in the tranny when you take your foot off the gas momentarily, and then hit the gas again (this is at highway speeds).

For about a second, the transmission seems to be thinking about how it should shift. I think this is just a quirk of the grade logic, not a problem.

For those of you who have experienced this, give it a try and see if it happens

·
Registered
725 Posts
Time For A Trip To The "Honda Doctor"

We've had our PILOT since mid-September and the tranny and everything else on our PILOT is still silky smooooooooth after 4,500 miles.

You may have to have your Transmission Computer Control Module checked. It may need to be reset/reprogrammed.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pilot "Squared", :D

I notice a little hesitation on downshifting to pass cars or something. I thought that it was just the nature of the vehicle. Hondas aren't known for very good auto trannys..... I hate how it waits until it gets on the bottom of a hill, and it decides it has to downshift? It's like you're driving a standard, and you lose speed going up the hill and you have to change gears to get more power.

OK here's another question, most of the time my first-to-second shift is kinda hard, especially when cold. Is this a problem too?

Like you, I have a Grand Prix ('99) and it is still my favorite car of the 2 by far. Those suckers will move, eh? :2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had no problems with the tranny at all. This thing shifts very smoothly. I traded a camry with 130,000 on it for the pilot. The camry was a great car, I'd own another in a second but the one problem I had with it, was passing people on the highway, it was slow. Passing at highway speeds with the pilot is unbelievable, this vehicle has get up and go. It's not like a sports car, but much better than my old camry. Not bad for a 4500lb suv.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have occassionally noticed a hesitation in the transmission if you are coasting down a slight downhill and then choose to accelerate around 50MPH. Attribute it to the grade-logic transmission. As for Autobahn performance - regularly cruise at 100+MPH with not problems. Keep under 105 in order to not top it out at 109 and have the engine cut out. Could do more if the governor let me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is just a characteristic of Honda. Our 97 CRV is similar, especially slowing down then accelerating.

I've always driven manual tranny VW's (except my first car....a '70 Buick Skylark), so of course I'll probably never be satisfied with how an automatic shifts. I can shift my 87 VW much more smoothly than the CRV auto-tranny!

·
Registered
28 Posts
lags and hesitation

It is my experience that this type hesitation in the engine/transmission is becoming more common in newer cars that rely on computer chips to determine engine tuning and gear selection.

I don't know if the Pilot is completely fly-by-wire or not. Some new cars are. But even if it is not, there is still a lot of data that has to be crunched by the computer to determine what is the best gear to use in any given situation. That can often result in the lag that you are noticing.

While the lag is annoying, one consolation is that when it finally gets around to picking a gear, you can be assured that dozens of the world's best engineers and computer scientists have determined it is the absolute best gear for the situation you are in!

Or, if you want to avoid the lag, you can get a manual transmission which gives you the freedom to pick any gear you want at any time!

·
Registered
481 Posts
cwg, what car on the road is fly by wire? thought there were just a few prototypes out there. . .that's pretty tricky stuff.

you might be using a loose definition of the term. . .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pilot is not a fly by wire car, I think I read somewhere that the 2003 MDX is. That might be why the trany was replaced. My understanding of a fly-by-wire system is that there is no cable from the gas pedal to the throttle body. Instead you push on the gas and a signal is sent to the throttle body, tranny, and maybe stability control system and the amount of engine power is then really applied by the computer. Kind of a cool idea.

You have to keep in mind that an auto trans is a pump, and when the fluid is cold the trany will sometimes shift harder (like it has a shift kit) then normal.

I agree that new cars trans are computer controlled, our 530i actually has a separate chip for the tranny, but there is no hesitation there at all, and that is not a fly by wire system. I do notice some hesitation on the Pilot and it does not downshift as quick as the 530, but it is an SUV not a car. I still have no regrets.

I could be smoking crack about my knowledge of the auto trans. If I am wrong someone please chime in.

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dano said:
cwg, what car on the road is fly by wire? thought there were just a few prototypes out there. . .that's pretty tricky stuff.

you might be using a loose definition of the term. . .
740/750i have been fly-by-wire since around 94, M5. I think this year the 3 and 5 series are now. Sorry only know BMW for fly-by-wire. Oh ya the new Ferrari Enzo is a fly-by-wire

·
Registered
240 Posts
An S2000 is my daily driver and when I drive my wife's Pilot, I have no complaints. Drives GREAT! We drove the Pilot from New Bern to Miami and back with no issues, cruising many times at a cool 90!:p

Then, we towed the S2000 up to New York and back with no issues again! The Pilot kicks ass!:p ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
109MHP CUTOFF.

What is this 109MPH cutoff stuff?

:rolleyes:

Thanks,

Cindy:2:

·
Registered
307 Posts
the governor on the engine wont let you exceed 109 mph.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Idiots

Then the idiots at Honda shouldn't trick us with a speedometer that exceeds that.

:3:

Cindy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Now if the Pilot came with a 160 MPH speedo would you think the car did that??? ;) I still think this is better then the speedos that only went to 85 MPH.

I heard that most auto companies do this because of the speed ratings of the tires. The Goodyears are rated as an SR tire up to 112 MPH. I also think the CTs are rated the same. The Scorpions are H rated up to 130 MPH.

Do you really want to push a tire that is rated at 112 any faster then that?

So find an aftermarket eprom and put better tires on and you should be able to then hit the rev limit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts