Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

In what order do you disconnect then reconnect your battery cables?

• Disconnect positive, then negative. Reconnect negative, then positive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you replace your battery, or simply remove it or completely disconnect it for whatever reason, in what order do you disconnect then reconnect your battery cables?

Feel free to comment on your logic. :)

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
NP -> PN.

Because my father, the master electrician taught me so. As I got old enough to understand it makes sense to me.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,193 Posts
There is no choice for:

What ever, I've done it all ways and still do.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts

So next time do the 4th choice.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
364 Posts
because electrons flow from negative to positive thus being so close to the source of charge (battery) cutting the circuit at the negative terminal eliminates the arching or spark you notice when doing the positive side

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
because electrons flow from negative to positive thus being so close to the source of charge (battery) cutting the circuit at the negative terminal eliminates the arching or spark you notice when doing the positive side
If I think about it, I do the 4th choice. Don't always happen that way though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
False. Electrical engineer here. Makes no difference whatsoever whether you disconnect the positive or negative, the amount of arcing would be the same. Might want to learn about Kirchhoff's current law. It is done for safety reasons; almost every vehicle built since the 1960s is negative ground, and there's no danger if you bump the frame with the wrench while you're removing the negative terminal.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
False. Electrical engineer here. Makes no difference whatsoever whether you disconnect the positive or negative, the amount of arcing would be the same. Might want to learn about Kirchhoff's current law. It is done for safety reasons; almost every vehicle built since the 1960s is negative ground, and there's no danger if you bump the frame with the wrench while you're removing the negative terminal.
There is no choice for:

What ever, I've done it all ways and still do.
Your answer goes back to my first post.

It's not- do it wrong- die, do it right- live.
I do it what ever way, it doesn't matter. Why this week alone 3 of my friends died in explosions from simply changing their battery! SMH. I'm being sarcastic.

KInda like peoples attitudes with these f'ing face masks for this f'n virus.
Mask- live, no mask? Die ? ?

Licensed medical provider here.

If you are under 65y/o- the mortality rate is ~ 1/300K!

Reactions: undivide and aggrex

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

I do it what ever way, it doesn't matter. Why this week alone 3 of my friends died in explosions from simply changing their battery! SMH. I'm being sarcastic.

The potential danger is more likely with improper jumper cable connection/disconnection order or procedure.

And.....
Text Line Font Symbol Graphics

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
642 Posts

RIP to your friends...
Hopefully they were wearing masks when they exploded.... and I bet if they lived in California or NY they were added to the Covid body count.

/s

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol at photo! Lol
Also, the angle makes it look like the leverage bar on the C-clamp is about to make contact with the negative post in 3, 2, 1...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.