Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

If you had your injectors replaced, please select the best response:

• Factory VCM active, and using Top-Tier Gasoline

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Factory VCM active, and using NON-Top-Tier Gasoline

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Disabled VCM (S-VCM, Muzzler, VCMTuner, etc), and using Top-Tier Gasoline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disabled VCM (S-VCM, Muzzler, VCMTuner, etc), and using NON-Top-Tier Gasoline

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This poll is ONLY for individuals that have had their fuel injectors replaced. I'm trying to determine if there is a link between VCM
operations, and also if quality of the gasoline could be contributing factors to the injector failures. Honda's position is its a
manufacturing particle contamination issues from its subcontractor causing these injectors to fail. I can not believe after 3 years they
still have not solved a manufacturing problem with 2019 models now failing. Its my opinion that something else is going on with these
Earth Dream direct injection engines. Could VCM operations be causing oil misting in the deactivated cylinders, which then contaminate
the injector surface which maybe collects carbon particle residue that then bakes onto the injector thus disrupting the spray pattern? I
know that's really grasping.

Please include a post with any additional information from your repair receipt. Such as: DTC codes, misfire in Bank 1 or Bank 2, misfire
in a particular cylinder.

Examples:
DTC
P0430 (front bank catalyst system efficiency below threshold [bank 2])
P030X (misfire) Where 'X" is the cylinder number
P219A (air-fuel ratio variation of cylinder [bank 1, rear bank])
P219B (air-fuel ratio variation of cylinder [bank 2, front bank])

I'm trying to determine if there is any action we can do to prevent the problem. Or is this just going to be a out of warranty money
maker for Honda?

MOD's please make this a sticky for awhile to collect data. Thank you

·
Registered
53 Posts
2017 Honda Pilot Injectors replace at 33,341 miles. The Emissions light came one and the only thing my dealer said is that my Pilot falls under Service Bulletin Number 18-025. They did not tell me anything else and there is nothing else on the paperwork.

·
Registered
402 Posts
2017 honda touring AWD 60K miles, no injectors replaced no CEL lights.
i always use costco gas, rarely do i use anything else
i also every now and then push the vehicle to redline. it helps to open her up every now and then. i read people who baby the vehicle actually get the problem

·
Registered
53 Posts
2017 Honda Pilot Injectors replace at 33,341 miles. The Emissions light came one and the only thing my dealer said is that my Pilot falls under Service Bulletin Number 18-025. They did not tell me anything else and there is nothing else on the paperwork.
2017 honda touring AWD 60K miles, no injectors replaced no CEL lights.
i always use costco gas, rarely do i use anything else
i also every now and then push the vehicle to redline. it helps to open her up every now and then. i read people who baby the vehicle actually get the problem
So, I don't baby my Pilot and I still got the "Emissions light"

How often do you push it to the redline? Every tank of gas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
2019 Pilot 6K miles only!Code P0326 (knock sensor) keep coming back!
Taking in to dealership on Monday 09.30. for evaluation
I’ll let you know what happened!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Emmissions light came on, hooked up a BlueDriver OBD2 bluetooth reader and app said it was specifically a certain oil pressure sensor.
Replaced oil pressure sensor and oring and error code went away.
I'm glad I did this myself instead of trusting the dealer.
If I get another emissions error, I'll run the OBD2 sensor again and see what the code is, if it's the fuel injectors, then I'll do them myself.
Not trusting dealers lately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had fuel injectors replaced under extended warranty on 2017 Pilot Touring with 72,000 miles on it. The reason I took it to service was it was displaying rolling error codes of all electronic systems for the second time in 2 months. The first time I took it to service they just reset the electronics system. The second time, they said there is a service bulletin out and they replaced the injectors. Now last night when I tried to accelerate on the expressway, the car slowed and wouldn't accelerate. I'll be heading back to the dealer this week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Pilot w/120k miles. Original injectors. At the last service, out of the blue, our service rep. heartily recommended EFI cleaning service ($170±). We've had no Codes. Appears that it's a Honda directive. Hmmmmm! (FYI: we always get Top Tier gasoline, usually Costco.; we avoid the no-name cheapies.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
2011 Pilot w/120k miles. Original injectors. At the last service, out of the blue, our service rep. heartily recommended EFI cleaning service ($170±). We've had no Codes. Appears that it's a Honda directive. Hmmmmm! (FYI: we always get Top Tier gasoline, usually Costco.; we avoid the no-name cheapies.)
Hey!Your car doesn’t have the Earth Dream engine so you are not likely will have problems ever!I wish they stayed with something less fragile engine as the old ones!S

·
Registered
982 Posts
2016 Touring (eq. US Elite), had Emissions system problems” showed up in Spring (?) 2016, with like 20,000 km, or less. Dealer reset once and came back, code P0430, or something like that. Dealer replaced injectors and rails about two weeks later. Same type of gas used before and after, believe gas stations always claim top tier gas. Seems all is fine after. Not driven much lately. Just replaced four tires, with about 66,000 km, fearing arctic snow coming soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had error codes read at roughly 39,000 miles. Warranty had expired and replacing injectors was recommended. Asked what one cost and was told they all had to be done. Called BS on a vehicle design that required 5 Good injectors to be trashed. Purchased a bottle of direct injector cleaner to run on the next tank of gas for $14.00 and haven’t had an issue since. Currently at 47,000 with no other codes or issues with injectors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had error codes read at roughly 39,000 miles. Warranty had expired and replacing injectors was recommended. Asked what one cost and was told they all had to be done. Called BS on a vehicle design that required 5 Good injectors to be trashed. Purchased a bottle of direct injector cleaner to run on the next tank of gas for $14.00 and haven’t had an issue since. Currently at 47,000 with no other codes or issues with injectors.

So what kind of direct injector cleaner did you buy? And how often do you treat the gas?

I really do not want to have to have my injectors replaced again, even though it is under warranty.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is this the same as Caltex Techron?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dealer stated needed new fuel injectors on my 2016 EXL with 80,000 miles. Quoted $1750.00 for the repair. Decided to perform replacement with my capable husband at a cost of $375. for new injectors. All 6 injectors were black with carbon. Repair went well with the aid of a youtube video. Still having issues with the engine missing on acceleration. Any advice? Could it be transmission?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Possible carbon build up on the intake valves!Replacing the injectors often just half of the fix!Direct Injected engines notorious of carbon build up on the intake valves so as on the injector heads!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This poll is ONLY for individuals that have had their fuel injectors replaced. I'm trying to determine if there is a link between VCM
operations, and also if quality of the gasoline could be contributing factors to the injector failures. Honda's position is its a
manufacturing particle contamination issues from its subcontractor causing these injectors to fail. I can not believe after 3 years they
still have not solved a manufacturing problem with 2019 models now failing. Its my opinion that something else is going on with these
Earth Dream direct injection engines. Could VCM operations be causing oil misting in the deactivated cylinders, which then contaminate
the injector surface which maybe collects carbon particle residue that then bakes onto the injector thus disrupting the spray pattern? I
know that's really grasping.

Please include a post with any additional information from your repair receipt. Such as: DTC codes, misfire in Bank 1 or Bank 2, misfire
in a particular cylinder.

Examples:
DTC
P0430 (front bank catalyst system efficiency below threshold [bank 2])
P030X (misfire) Where 'X" is the cylinder number
P219A (air-fuel ratio variation of cylinder [bank 1, rear bank])
P219B (air-fuel ratio variation of cylinder [bank 2, front bank])

I'm trying to determine if there is any action we can do to prevent the problem. Or is this just going to be a out of warranty money
maker for Honda?

MOD's please make this a sticky for awhile to collect data. Thank you
2016 EX-L Replaced at 90k miles Code was P219A vin fell within range on first TSB. Dealer performed good will service and only charged 20%. I’ve driven 30k mikes since -code P219A again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just happened to me. Most of the miles on my 2017 Pilot EX-L AWD have been interstate going to canine trials, really long drives. Last 3 weeks I have driven from ATL to Harrisburg, PA, back to ATL, to Wakefield, VA, back to ATL, and this past week to Lake Ozark, MO and back to ATL. For the first time ever I ran the gas down below 1/4 tank from TN to ATL. Cranked it up yesterday, 36,432 miles and the dreaded emissions code lit up, P0430. Took it to the dealer, was told highly likely fuel injectors. Oh, you are just out of warranty, too bad. I was like, no, I read up on the sh!t Honda direct engine issues and bought a warranty, $50 deductible and KMA. I find this ridiculous they haven't found a better solution than sticking it to the customer. IRL, have only run Top tier gas - Costco, Chevron, Shell and BP, and run a large bottle of Techron total system cleaner about every 3500 miles, yes I know how GDI works and limited to no affect on the valves, yet it should definitely keep the injectors clean combined with the Top tier detergents, etc. I question about running down the fuel to an 1/8th of a tank with ethanol, water contamination, etc? Anyhoo, made my warranty money back the hard way, but no one should buy one of these without and extended warranty, and I was more concerned about electronics, etc than this really happening. Is it underreported? I doubt it as the dealer knew exactly what it was out of the gate. I came out of a new 2014 mid-level Ford Flex with FWD, put 59k on it in 3 years, probably spent less than $350 dollars on maintenance, per the schedule, at the dealer, no comparison on operating costs compared to Honda. I love the AWD, it has come in handy in multiple scenarios, the Michelin LTX M/S tires that replaced the OEMs 7k miles ago have been excellent as well. YMMV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just had my injectors replaced under extended warranty. Truck was in the dealership 4 times in the last 3 months for the same issue. Dealer kept resetting the computer stating I use bad gas even though I told them otherwise. On my fourth trip to the dealer I brought every receipt for fuel since day 1 I took ownership of the new truck. I keep logs of KM's driven per day and the only place I get fuel is Shell and it's premium without Ethanol.

I had to help the service manger close his mouth when he looked over my records. They finally replaced O2 Sensors, Injectors, Cat converter and it seems better. My RPM's fluctuate like others however I believe that's related to the transmission fluid needing to be changed.

I have 73,000 KM on the truck which I bought brand new and I can't believe how frustrating it's been at the dealer. When I bought the extended warranty I was thinking I wasted money; but thankfully I'm covered to 120KM.....Thinking I need to pay to extended to 200KM!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help!!! I have had my 2016 EX and with the exact same.prob! Of course right after the warranty goes. It will be my 4th trip in 1 year as well on the same issue of "emission system problem " they replaced the entire set of injectors last january. It happened again less than 1 year! Tomorrow I go back only after 3 days ago I had it looked at. Yup... they just cleared via computer or whatever...
What to do??? I only use Costco Top Tier..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts