Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Should we adopt the points system like the mdx site

• Yes, great idea. I cant wait!

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Yes, I like the idea but not sure about the implementation.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I am not sure how I feel yet.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No, I don't want to participate but knock yourselves out.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No, dont even get me started. BAD IDEA!!!

Votes: 21 56.8%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who tried to log on last night should have found that we had a homework assignment. If you didn't try to log on, or if you didn't see admin's post check out this points thread from our sister site http://www.acuramdx.org.

He wanted our opinion on this system. It looks to me that most of the bugs have been worked out and it appears they are starting to accumulate and spend their points. Admin should be able to tell us if there has been a lot of 'post whoring' since implementing the points system as that was one of the big concerns, quantity not quality posts.

Anyway, let me be the first to weigh in with my opinion, I like it the idea but I don't know if we need to encourage posting. I don't think a question goes unanswered for more than 30 minutes here. I think people are helping out and posting some great information.

Points, like them but I don't see the need yet.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
smurray said:
Anyone who tried to log on last night should have found that we had a homework assignment. If you didn't try to log on, or if you didn't see admin's post check outthis points thread from our sister site http://www.acuramdx.org.

He wanted our opinion on this system. It looks to me that most of the bugs have been worked out and it appears they are starting to accumulate and spend their points. Admin should be able to tell us if there has been a lot of 'post whoring' since implementing the points system as that was one of the big concerns, quantity not quality posts.

Anyway, let me be the first to weigh in with my opinion, I like it the idea but I don't know if we need to encourage posting. I don't think a question goes unanswered for more than 30 minutes here. I think people are helping out and posting some great information.

Points, like them but I don't see the need yet.
I think it is only good for threaddrift. A bunch of BS posts will appear.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I thought it would make it more fluff and less information. I think things are really good as they are now....but I could have fun changing peoples tags(the labels under their names) Sounded like you could use points for that. I'd have so much fun doing that that I'd never have any points for shopping anyway.:12:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't like the idea of getting points just for posting or starting a thread.

I like the idea of getting points for the number of views and/or replies for threads you started. Then, the points would at least indicate who initiated popular if not useful/interesting threads. Then, those who accumulate points could award them to others for valuable/interesting posts. Under this scenario, if I had points, I would try to award them to users that provided a valuable answers or directed someone to another thread, etc. I think if we did it this way, the points could possibly reflect your useful activity to the group.

I am a little less sure about the ability to take away points from someone by rating their posts. I see how if people saw that someone thought their post was less than contributory to the group that it might encourage the poster to rethink what they post. On the other hand, if we could develop roving gangs of thugs with Weapons of Mass Point Removal that target elements of our group that they think are evil. This would significantly reduce the value of this function.

I'm not going to vote yet, as I am still pondering....:1:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
:28:

There is no need for points system in this forum, in my opinion it has more cons than pros....just look at the X site.

The best thing about this forum are the genuine people who devote their time & share their knowledge & expertise to others seeking advice or opinions on whatever topic. They don't expect points/rewards in return, just the knowledge that they have helped another member or guest & vice versa is enough recognition for their contributions.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Sounds similar to what they do over at /. but they call it "karma".

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
When they instituted the point system over at acuramdx.org, some people became really childish and obnoxiously competitive and petty. Why mess with a great website?

There are some really great people here--we don't need a point system to encourage us. Generous people post, research, and share their knowledge and enthusiasm for the sheer joy of it.

What better reward could there be?

Oh, and THANKS again for a great website!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
borg said:
:28:

There is no need for points system in this forum, in my opinion it has more cons than pros....just look at the X site.

The best thing about this forum are the genuine people who devote their time & share their knowledge & expertise to others seeking advice or opinions on whatever topic. They don't expect points/rewards in return, just the knowledge that they have helped another member or guest & vice versa is enough recognition for their contributions.
WOW!!! :29: I'm getting where I like how Borg thinks more and more every day!!!! I agree completely!!!

We don't need no steeeenkin' points!!:flush:

*** EDITED BY KEMOSABE ***

colorider is being assimilated by borg -- resistance is futile and discussion is irrelevant!!!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If the "rewards" can be kept to things which won't tick off other members, then it might not be too bad. But I'd hate to see excessive posts, random threads, and thread repeats just to build someone's point total.

·
Registered
61 Posts
colorider said:
WOW!!! :29: I'm getting where I like how Borg thinks more and more every day!!!! I agree completely!!!

We don't need no steeeenkin' points!!:flush:

Ditto! I think this site ROCKS. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I vote for no points

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Leave Well Enuff Alone

Now's as good a time as any to use this smilie: :soapbox:

I'm not a big fan of the points system... I think that if this site had minimal participation and inactive forums, then implementing a points system to encourage members to participate (and guests to register/join) would be beneficial...

...but the honda-pilot.org web site already has great participation with a good mix of information and comraderie that I don't think we need to mess with it...

Just my 3¢ :D :D :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would like to echo many of the sentiments expressed here against the points system, in particular the fear of proliferation of repeat or frivolous threads and the fact that the knowledge of helping others is reward enough.

I believe that at the moment we have a great site and good social dynamics and we should keep it as it is... at least for now.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hey Admin, thanks for offering to do more work for us to get the points system incorporated on this site. But I agree with the majority here. We like it just the way it is :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Or people who mysteriously change titles at random??? Observations....funny quotes...... That happens on another board I visit and it is a great honor to have a "tag" bestowed on you. No one knows who the the person is that makes the tags appear, but everybody always loves their new title. Sometimes they will be changed at random, sometimes a person gets several.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would have been fun to play around with people's titles though. Anyway, I'd say hold on to that little easter egg for a time when this site begins to slow down, it's bound to happen.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I like the idea of points for good posts. If members could vote on each others' posts and that's the only points were awarded, I'd go for that. Otherwise, no. Points based on volume are just asking for trouble.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts