Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So these damn codes came up with the usual VT 4 .. now it does a new issue I have to let the old girl warm up fully or she stalls out completely. Things been replaced are plugs , egr valve , maf sensor , o2 sensor , pvc valve , valve adjustment . Also notice the throttle body sticks when gas Pedro is pressed cleaned the butterfly still isn’t resolved. Fuel injectors rebuilt , fuel pump replaced due to float issue . All this was not done at once but still have this stupid issue.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
gas Pedro
That's what they used to call me after a couple of breakfast burritos. :p

I guess you've already made sure fuel injectors have been cleaned up? Some folks like Techron, some folks like Gumout Regane with PEA, some folks like Lucas. I wouldn't recommend STP.

Fuel Injector Cleaner

When I was a young mechanic™ you could also spray clean your engine to run better. :)

Just don't lose that %!# little red straw in there.

And, um, Seafoam? It has a large following.

Or how about checking underside of air intake tube for cracks?

2008 EX-L All Cylinders misfire + Random misfire

When you replaced the EGR valve, did you you clean the EGR ports?

OK, I'm plum outta ideas for now.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah I was using a stupid iPhone got to love that speeel check . :p
Yes I did all that this is what confuses me and I eventually replaced the injectors with new oems since I have over 200k did not see why not . I suspect it may be one of the other o2 sensors going bad since I have to warm it up fully before I can even think about moving it.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
734 Posts
That's what they used to call me after a couple of breakfast burritos. :p

I guess you've already made sure fuel injectors have been cleaned up? Some folks like Techron, some folks like Gumout Regane with PEA, some folks like Lucas. I wouldn't recommend STP.

Fuel Injector Cleaner

When I was a young mechanic™ you could also spray clean your engine to run better. :)

Just don't lose that %!# little red straw in there.

And, um, Seafoam? It has a large following.

Or how about checking underside of air intake tube for cracks?

2008 EX-L All Cylinders misfire + Random misfire

When you replaced the EGR valve, did you you clean the EGR ports?

OK, I'm plum outta ideas for now.
That was funny, Pedro?! My wife gives me disgusted faces in public places.....

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had similar problem found out i had a hole in my flex pipe problem solved
Flex pipe as in the the mesh on the exhaust ? never thought of that

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was funny, Pedro?! My wife gives me disgusted faces in public places.....
Yah the boss does the same thing over here also

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
So these damn codes came up with the usual VT 4 .. now it does a new issue I have to let the old girl warm up fully or she stalls out completely. Things been replaced are plugs , egr valve , maf sensor , o2 sensor , pvc valve , valve adjustment . Also notice the throttle body sticks when gas Pedro is pressed cleaned the butterfly still isn’t resolved. Fuel injectors rebuilt , fuel pump replaced due to float issue . All this was not done at once but still have this stupid issue.
I had similar symptoms on my 2012 Crosstour. Kept driving until the real problem finally showed itself. Replaced the VVT solenoids on both sides and it ran like a brand new car. Thankfully I did this before the alternator was destroyed by the oil leak I had. I see many posting about replacing the gaskets and screens, but if your vehicle is high milage, replace the VVT solenoids while your at it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had similar symptoms on my 2012 Crosstour. Kept driving until the real problem finally showed itself. Replaced the VVT solenoids on both sides and it ran like a brand new car. Thankfully I did this before the alternator was destroyed by the oil leak I had. I see many posting about replacing the gaskets and screens, but if your vehicle is high milage, replace the VVT solenoids while your at it.
257k last time I checked i'm not familiar with the VVT Solenoid ..would it be referred to as something else by any chance ? or where does it reside, in the engine I assume ?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
257k last time I checked i'm not familiar with the VVT Solenoid ..would it be referred to as something else by any chance ? or where does it reside, in the engine I assume ?
Variable Valve Timing Solinoid. When these start going bad your vehicle will begin running rough to eventually having a severe loss of power. It would barely start and could barely keep running.
2008 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid / Actuator | RockAuto
Be sure to replace spool filter/gasket as well, between spool and engine.
There are 2 sets of these (gaskets and solienoid(s)) on each side of the engine. For your vehicle, one set is part of your oil filter housing. The other is up near the back head on the drivers side.

Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New fuel pump and new oem injectors due to high mileage ... last time i checked wasn't recent the trims were -10 / -12

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some good info here:

Usually LT trims need to exceed 20 to 25 (+ or -) to set codes.

If you have a scan tool that graphs trims, you can watch and see where it gets worse in the drive cycle. That will allow you to better zero in on possible causes.

Freeze frame data is also quite helpful.

Also be aware that non-OEM O2 sensors often don't play well with Honda/Acura PCM strategies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts