Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 90K on my plugs. Are you guys going the full 100K recommendation or swapping them out earlier? My fuel economy seems to be suffering for the last 5K. Recommended plug type too?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,667 Posts
I went 105k miles on the original plugs. It took quite a bit of force to loosen them for removal. I replaced them with what was specified in the owners manual.

Have you tried other things to improve fuel economy? When is the last time the engine air fitter was changed? Are your tires inflated to the appropriate pressure?

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yeah,tires are inflated correctly and air filter is clean. I might go by Honda and get a OEM. Mine's a Fram this last time.
Thank you. It's coming up for a timing belt,water pump etc change in 10K so I'll wait until then.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don’t get the plugs at Honda - you can get the same NGKs at NAPA (etc) or Rock Auto for about 50% at the dealer. These are not cheap - at the dealer they were about $40 each. I picked them up at OReilly for about $18 each

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Don’t get the plugs at Honda - you can get the same NGKs at NAPA (etc) or Rock Auto for about 50% at the dealer. These are not cheap - at the dealer they were about $40 each. I picked them up at OReilly for about $18 each
Yes, NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs, and torque them to spec since they can occasionally back out.

If you get them at Rockauto, don't forget to claim your Piloteers discount:

5% Discount Code: 508F794D9D4F1F
Expires: August 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.​

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just put in new NGK Ruthenium HX plugs at 60k and will replace at 50k intervals.

Note: Rock Auto is not listed on the official NGK website in their "where to buy" section implying that Rock Auto might not be an authorized NGK seller. Call NGK and verify with them that Rock Auto is legit for NGK sparkplugs. There is a whole world of fake automotive parts out there so, be careful and verify before purchasing anything.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX 4WD, 2007 Accord DX Sedan, 2.4L
8 Posts
I bought a 6pack of Denso 3422 plugs through RockAuto. No issues. First spark plug change at ~140k miles. Cheers to another 100k before they need to be changed again! I noticed no change in MPG or power. Lower MPG for me at the time was probably due to the seasonal change of gasoline blends.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just put in new NGK Ruthenium HX plugs at 60k and will replace at 50k intervals.

Note: Rock Auto is not listed on the official NGK website in their "where to buy" section implying that Rock Auto might not be an authorized NGK seller. Call NGK and verify with them that Rock Auto is legit for NGK sparkplugs. There is a whole world of fake automotive parts out there so, be careful and verify before purchasing anything.
FWIW - a few of my local auto parts stores will match RA prices. For bigger items they typically include the S&H that RA would charge to ship to my house, but I figure it's still a win-win for me - I get the parts immediately and usually get the warranty on the parts offered by a local place.

It's great for smaller items like plugs - so maybe worth asking at your local favorite spot if they'll match RA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts