Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 2006 pilot for a friend. It started when they told me it needed a starter because it wasn't starting. I changed out the starter and noticed the old one looked good. And like I thought the new starter did not fix the problem. A broken ground from engine to frame above radiator was the problem. It started right up. A week later she called saying CEL is flashing and vtm-4 is lit up. I had it dropped off at my house to do some work. I replaced the broken air intake tube. Replaced all spark plugs I serviced all the coils. Boots and springs. I did the valve adjustment. Which I was sure was the actual issue. All the exhaust valves were way too tight. I adjusted everything to spec. Still misfiring only at idle. I went through and fixed every ground considering the origional no start from broken ground. Cleaned the throttle body checked for vaccuum leaks. Replaced pcv valve listened to every injector firing. Tried to check resistance on injectors. The 3 in the front all said 0 which doesn't make sense because car is running fine. Only idles at misfire. I can drive hours without it misfiring as soon as it idles it starts misfiring. I don't have access to live data but the freeze frame looks all normal except bank 2 short term fuel trim is always -18/-20 which from what I understand is running rich. It does sound like there an exhaust leak but I don't think that would cause this. Please share any thoughts. I tried 93 octane gas with injector cleaner drove for an hour no change. I really need to get this car back to my friend and I'm stuck.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sounds like you have a injector with a bad spray pattern. Get some Techron injector cleaner, put in tank, let run at idle for at least 45 min. Then go out and do 8-10 full throttle runs from 20 -75ish mph, higher if you have a good place to do it. Don't waste your time with anything but Techron. There are a few more indepth possibilities, but I believe this will fix your issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking something similar. I'm glad to know a referable brand of injector cleaner to use. I will try this asap. If you think of anything else let me know. Literally the only codes I'm getting are p0300 and Misfires 1-6

·
Registered
550 Posts
Not to be insulting to your work, but 1-6 is almost always caused by valve adjustment. Did you adjust them when the engine was cold? An exhaust leak pre O2 sensor would cause issues. The rear cam timing being of by 1 tooth causes fuel trims to be off by around 20%, since there isn't a sensor on the rear cam it won't set a dtc. Have also seen the wrong plugs, and aftermarket coils cause miss issues.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
15 year old vehicle likely needs a new EGR valve.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Egr valve is good clean and has proper resistance. Yes I adjusted the valves cold and for exhaust i did loose side of spec for intake I barely had to make any adjustments. Not my first valve adjustment. And I triple checked the clearances before putting back together. This misfire was happening before I did all this stuff and has not changed the slightest bit since doing everything. The plugs are right. Right now I'm letting it idle using a magnet stick as a stethoscope and as hard at is was I was able to unplug injector on number 6 the one closest to battery and it did not make the engine stumble. I listened closely as I plugged it back in and I can here it start pulsing as I plug it in but it's not as strong as others. I was also able to unplug injector on number 4 and the engine stumbled noticeably and when I touched the connecter to the ejector listening with the magnet stick I can clearly hear the injector coming back on and off as I barely touch the connector. It's obvious. However number 6 has no stumble and the clicking is faint.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also want to note that it seems to run out of gas very fast... not my car so I'm not familiar with the mileage but for a v6 it seems to be wasting fuel like my old 5.7 camaro

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I'd also check the timing belt marks. Sometimes we can beat ourselves looking for something that was done years ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For some reason on my cheap scanner it's usually misfire cylinder3 that's first on the list then 5 then 6 and then random then eventually the rest pop and cylinder 5 is the only one with freeze frame data. And it is as follows. Fuel system 1 closed loop, fuel system 2 closed loop, Calc load 27.1%, etc 185 degrees, STFT B1 7.8%, LTFT B1 -1.6, STFT B2 -24.2%, LTFT B2 -4.7%, Map 8 inHg, eng RPM 746, veh speed 0 mph, spark adv 7.5 degrees, IAT 109 degrees, TPS 14.1%, Rel TPS 3.1%

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I am working on a 2006 pilot for a friend. It started when they told me it needed a starter because it wasn't starting. I changed out the starter and noticed the old one looked good. And like I thought the new starter did not fix the problem. A broken ground from engine to frame above radiator was the problem. It started right up. A week later she called saying CEL is flashing and vtm-4 is lit up. I had it dropped off at my house to do some work. I replaced the broken air intake tube. Replaced all spark plugs I serviced all the coils. Boots and springs. I did the valve adjustment. Which I was sure was the actual issue. All the exhaust valves were way too tight. I adjusted everything to spec. Still misfiring only at idle. I went through and fixed every ground considering the origional no start from broken ground. Cleaned the throttle body checked for vaccuum leaks. Replaced pcv valve listened to every injector firing. Tried to check resistance on injectors. The 3 in the front all said 0 which doesn't make sense because car is running fine. Only idles at misfire. I can drive hours without it misfiring as soon as it idles it starts misfiring. I don't have access to live data but the freeze frame looks all normal except bank 2 short term fuel trim is always -18/-20 which from what I understand is running rich. It does sound like there an exhaust leak but I don't think that would cause this. Please share any thoughts. I tried 93 octane gas with injector cleaner drove for an hour no change. I really need to get this car back to my friend and I'm stuck.
I don't have anything to add- you've covered a lot.

But, Can I be your friend and drop my Gen 1 off by you? LOL

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to be insulting to your work, but 1-6 is almost always caused by valve adjustment. Did you adjust them when the engine was cold? An exhaust leak pre O2 sensor would cause issues. The rear cam timing being of by 1 tooth causes fuel trims to be off by around 20%, since there isn't a sensor on the rear cam it won't set a dtc. Have also seen the wrong plugs, and aftermarket coils cause miss issues.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Sure if your anywhere near Massachusetts. I'm always looking for a challenge.
I Wish I was! I'm in WI presently.

Good luck, you'll get it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for posting again and again but UPDATE. SLVR suggested injector cleaner. I already had some as I was suspecting bad gas or clogged injector since the car sat for a couple months when it wouldn't start. I dumped a whole container of injector cleaner in and have been letting it idle about 30 min now revving it up every once in a while. Before if it was idling the CEL would be flashing off and on multiple times a minute at idle until you rev up or drive. As soon as it came back to idle even a stop sign CEL would flash. I just got in the car and noticed the light wasn't flashing. I waited 7 minutes and was shocked to not even see it flash once. So I turned car off cleared all codes and started again. After 1 minute it flashed on and off a couple times but only enough for a pending code it hasn't flashed again in 10 minutes and only VTM 4 light is on. So the injector cleaner is definitely making a difference. While I can't really hear a difference in the idle the CEL has only flashed once when I cleared codes and started it again 10 min ago.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Also, try using Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium grade fuel, since it has several times the concentration of cleaning additives required to meet the Top Tier minimum spec.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I do have access to ALLDATA as I work at a mechanic shop so if anyone needs me to look something up I will gladly help.
We all appreciate that! And Slvr7 is also a tech currently too! Lots of good people here, do stick around when your misfire is sorted please.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I ran it to empty and put about 20 bucks worth of shells 93 octane in this morning and drove it all day ill be getting more gas from shell tonight. Not my car and not sure how long I'll have it so I'm trying to avoid putting too much gas in lol. Just drove it around the block came back and as soon as it idles down it started flashing again then stopped. Still not as much as before. I'm hopefull that it's progress.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts